FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux question: Fuse or LVM ?

FunFunkyFritz
I got a 1TB LVM partiton for my mythtv. It is striped over several disks in pairs.

It has been working nicely for several years now, but it's soon time to replace the disks with new ones. But this time i will try to adress some of the potential problem areas:

* To do a *thorough* file system check (reiserfs) takes 3 days (-yes, DMA is enabled on all drives)!
* If one of the drives would die it would bring down the entire array, and the probability for this rises exponentially with the number of drives in the array.

I could try to use a raid 5 array, but the sizes of the drives varies from 160GB to 350GB, i don't want to waste any space.

So this is my latest idea: I could use fuse to glue all of the drives together in one virtual file system. http://fuse.sourceforge.net

If one drive dies it does not destroy the entire virtual drive, and it would not be a big problem losing one drive out of 6. It's only tv shows on the drive any ways. It would be easy (and much faster) to check individual drives for problems.

I would be grateful for feedback on this, is Fuse a good solution?