FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

BlueFeather Operating System

DarkCore
MODS PLEASE DELETE THE OTHER TOPIC

BlueFeather is an operating system based on Syllable. My goal is to make it more modern day looking. Right now the way Syllable looks, it might have been good for Windows 98/ME ages, but now with 3D desktops, that has to change. Here are some pictures of what Syllable looked like, how it is now, and how I want it to look like:

How it looked like

How it is now

How I want it to look like (SkyOS image)

By starting of with the GUI and working down, users will have something to look forward. This will be definatily the alternavtive free OS to linux and Windows.

I will post more info on the site later, as it is under construction right now. If you have any questions, don't be afriad to ask, I will happily answer them.

INFO:
OS NAME: BlueFeather
Lisencse: GNU GPL 2
Download: TBA
nox-Hand
So...is this based on anything? Not Linux, not Windows? What is it? UNIX, or what?
DarkCore
Its based on Syllable.
nox-Hand
...and Syllable is UNIX-based, right?
DarkCore
Actually I am going to base it on Haiku, and change lots of stuff in it. I am also going to add an installer, so you won't need to install BeOS and then BlueFeather.

BlueFeather is based on Haiku, which is based on BeOS.
otiscom
This looks good!
I tried various Linux OS's and the gui left a lot to be desired.
Please keep us informed of your progress.
Good luck.
{name here}
otiscom wrote:
This looks good!
I tried various Linux OS's and the gui left a lot to be desired.
Please keep us informed of your progress.
Good luck.

...So you found the practically 500 or so window managers all undesireable, with some being able to be customized in nearly every aspect?

Quote:
Actually I am going to base it on Haiku, and change lots of stuff in it. I am also going to add an installer, so you won't need to install BeOS and then BlueFeather.

BlueFeather is based on Haiku, which is based on BeOS.

If Haiku was a proprietary operating system paying royalties to Gasse(creator of the former Be Inc) himself then it would be based on BeOS. Haiku is actually based on NewOS, an open source kernel.

Quote:
...and Syllable is UNIX-based, right?

Syllable is based on AtheOS, a unix-like OS. Note: not even the BSDs are based on Unix directly. The only OSes that are directly forked from UNIX are HP-UX, UnixWare, OpenServer, AIX, etc. all of which have payed SCO for a lisence to get the true unix code and te ability to have the Unix name(with exception to UnixWare and OpenServer which are owned by SCO).