FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

running win98se on cpu designed for xp

handles
I've got an older PC with Windows 98SE on it. Every time I think of upgrading to a newer OS, I get stuck on the fact that all of the newer operating systems seem to take so long to load and run software. But I also know my computer won't last forever.

If I upgrade to parts designed for XP, or to a whole computer designed for that version, but then install 98SE instead, what does that mean for speed? Will it get buggy because the software is slower than the hardware, or will there simply be a speed threshold?
badai
you can if you have driver for win98. most probably they don't provide.
Xeniczone
Ok, Lets get one thing clear first.

CPU = Central Processing Unit (Intel Pentium, AMD Althlon)
PC = Personal Computer (Usally refering to Windows but can mean Mac or Linux)

It will not affect the speed of your computer at all. In fact it should run faster. Windows 98 doesn't have all the useless effects and background software that Windows XP does. I would use it on my Gaming computer but it doesn't support Battlefeild 2. Just pop in your cd and run the install. Unless you have a seperate hard drive or w/e just figure it out.
djclue917
Xeniczone wrote:
Ok, Lets get one thing clear first.

CPU = Central Processing Unit (Intel Pentium, AMD Althlon)
PC = Personal Computer (Usally refering to Windows but can mean Mac or Linux)

It will not affect the speed of your computer at all. In fact it should run faster. Windows 98 doesn't have all the useless effects and background software that Windows XP does. I would use it on my Gaming computer but it doesn't support Battlefeild 2. Just pop in your cd and run the install. Unless you have a seperate hard drive or w/e just figure it out.

PC = Personal Computer != Operating System (Windows, Mac, Linux)

If you have a super awesome hardware, you wouldn't want to install just Windows 98 in it. Windows 98 is designed to run on hardware that was available during its release. And it was release more or less 8 years ago. Hardware has already improved so much since then and it would be stupid to install Win98/SE on a modern system. Win98/SE cannot take advantage of newer hardware.

Think of it like this:
Older hardware + ancient OS = OK
Older hardware + modern OS = Obviously not OK.
Newer hardware + ancient OS = OK but hardware utilization isn't anywhere near 100%
Newer hardware + modern OS = OK, hardware utilization is more or less 100%.
badai
my real life experience:

cannot remember the exact motherboard model, it's MSI with build in AGP, sound & LAN.

windows can display only in 16 colour with 640x480 res

driver cd only have driver for windows 2000 & XP. on MSI website also don't provide driver for win98. basically u can install, provided u have the driver for that hardware.
fadirocks
New hardware = New OS don't waste your time to work with an older OS it's better to use the most compatible OS and worry nothing about installing million drivers!

Even for your old system, if you have 128MB RAM and Proc faster than 300MHz windows XP should work well if you strip it down from graphical features

Right Click on "My Computer" --> "Properties" --> "Advanced" --> Under Performance "Settings" --> choose "adjust for best performance" --> "ok"

you'll lose many features that slows down your PC that takes too much RAM

More stuff like "System Restore" and Indexing slows your OLD machine
it's MS fault that they didn't make the OS under installation to be fully customized (especially for Professional it should've been customized)

also get to mscnfig or Start + R --> services.msc
you can disable things that you don't use however watch you might mess your PC if you don't what you're doing there!

oh don't forget to disable autoupdate
D'Artagnan
Hardware designed to XP???

Man the adesive in front of any part of any hardware to x86 computers is merelly illustrative, x86 is software independent, the maximum that a factory can do is not release drivers related to older systems....
{name here}
Well, I installed OS/2 Warp 4, an OS over 10 years old onto my computer without problem(except for the lack of apps). The only problem is the problem that it is constrained to its times and that may cause some problems. For example, you can't read long filenames in CDs because you could not do that at that time. However, I was able to get it to have a modern resolution, a modern web browser, etc. but there is a limit because there are only a handful of OS/2 users that made drivers for it, and those users have moved onto the modern eComStation.
BeOS PE, a more recent OS, had little problems and was quite fast.

In conclusion, don't do it it is a waste of your time.
undoweb
I have an Amd K6, 500 Mhz processor, 16 mb ram on video, 96 sdram, 10 gb hdd and netwoork works good on it and other applications. I recomand you to use windows xp becouse windows 98 hase big and more bugs that any os. Why? becouse is older and now is not used so much! XP will work on your pc, I hope so very good, test it and see how is working, and if is not working good on your pc change back to windows 98!
surdy
Hey buddy
There must be no problem whatsoever running old software on a new machine.
The New machine capable of running XP is much more powerful and feature packed to run heaveir applicatioons which require more resources.
But this doesn't mean it would be any bad in running 98 which is much less demanding in terms of system resources required.
Its like if a man can lift 200 pounds he will surely be able to lift 100 pounds.
So there must not be any problems of speed running 98 on newer machine
fadirocks
surdy wrote:
Hey buddy
There must be no problem whatsoever running old software on a new machine.
The New machine capable of running XP is much more powerful and feature packed to run heaveir applicatioons which require more resources.
But this doesn't mean it would be any bad in running 98 which is much less demanding in terms of system resources required.
Its like if a man can lift 200 pounds he will surely be able to lift 100 pounds.
So there must not be any problems of speed running 98 on newer machine

umm windows 98se can't really handle new CPU speeds properly and you'll miss out many important features that new softwares require
also I don't really miss out the BSOD and weak networking features of win98
once i moved out to WindowsNT I didn't want to return back
if machine is little bit too old for XP then 2kpro is another reasonable choice which has less features than XP and more drivers supported than 98se

OR just dump windows and switch to Linux Razz