FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Banks in Canada?

mah_lau
Does anyone know where I can find information on stuff like this? I tried google and... it didn't really help me much. Any advice? Personal or otherwise?
insanesnoopy
Not sure what you need the info for but

Royal Bank of Canada
Toronto Dominion are the largest

Bank of Montreal holds the Canada Life insurance account
schumway
none of them are 'good'
they are all out for themselves and do not invest back in to their clients.

probably recommend a trust vs bank although I am with the Royal Bank and have not changed as I have not taken the time to move my accounts over
indeedwrestling
MAJOR CANADIAN BANKS ONLINE

Bank of Canada
Bank of Montreal
BDC Connex
Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
Canadian Bankers Association
Canadian Banking Ombudsman
CIBC - Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
Desjardins
National Bank of Canada
Royal Bank Financial Group
Scotiabank
TD Bank Financial Group

Try any of them!
akshar
Quote:
i agree with indeedwrestling,my cousin is in canada once i had asked about good banks of canada he had given above names ,according to him royal bank he finds best
LumberJack
Canadian banks are notorious for nickeling and dimeing their customers. I have been a member of Royal Bank though since I was a kid. You just have to make sure you get a banking package that matches your lifestyle.
ronb
The best bank in Canada is President's Choice Financial (www.pcfinancial.ca). They have no branches and I do everything online (pay bills etc..), but the best part is they don't charge any fees. I can use Interact, pay bills, take money out all for free. If you need to deposit or withdraw money you can use the CIBC bank machines for free.

Their savings account is also good. I think you currently earn about 4.00% interest.

As well as having no fee, you can earn earn points "PC Points" that are redeemable for free groceries at the Great Canadian Superstore.

President's Choice also offers a Mastercard, house/auto insurance and great rates on mortgages.

I highly recommend them. I've been a member for almost 10 years now.
bongoman
The best bank depends on how much business and money you have with them! For instance with some banks like Scotia Bank, The Bank of Montreal, and TD Canada Trust, and CIBC you don't pay any fee's if you have a minimum balance in your account (it ranges from 1,000$-5,000$. Most banks give you either a reduced rate if you're a student (in the case of Royal, Scotia Bank, Bank of Montreal charging none for a student). Every bank has no fee's for all their under 19 years of age accounts (something would seem oddly unsettling about that if they did charge a 5$ monthly fee on an 8 year old child's bank account). Generally they are all pretty good banks, which is why I personally believe you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.
sohodol
mah_lau wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find information on stuff like this? I tried google and... it didn't really help me much. Any advice? Personal or otherwise?

Banks play a key role in Canada’s financial system and economic development. The banking industry includes 13 domestic banks, 34 foreign bank subsidiaries and 11 foreign bank branches operating in Canada. In total, these institutions manage over $1.6 trillion in assets.
sohodol
sohodol wrote:
mah_lau wrote:

Banks play a key role in Canada’s financial system and economic development. The banking industry includes 13 domestic banks, 34 foreign bank subsidiaries and 11 foreign bank branches operating in Canada. In total, these institutions manage over $1.6 trillion in assets.

Banks account for approximately 70 per cent of the total domestic assets held by the financial services sector, which includes insurance companies, trust companies, caisses populaires, credit unions and other financial institutions. The six major domestic banks account for over 90 per cent of the assets held by the banking industry, and operate through an extensive network that includes over 8,000 branches and close to 17,000 automated banking machines across Canada.
sohodol
sohodol wrote:
sohodol wrote:
mah_lau wrote:

Banks account for approximately 70 per cent of the total domestic assets held by the financial services sector, which includes insurance companies, trust companies, caisses populaires, credit unions and other financial institutions. The six major domestic banks account for over 90 per cent of the assets held by the banking industry, and operate through an extensive network that includes over 8,000 branches and close to 17,000 automated banking machines across Canada.

The six major domestic banks also have a significant presence outside of Canada, in areas such as the United States, Latin America, the Caribbean and Asia. International operations accounted for approximately 50 per cent of net revenue earned by Canada’s “big six” banks in 2000.
sohodol
sohodol wrote:
sohodol wrote:
sohodol wrote:
mah_lau wrote:

The six major domestic banks also have a significant presence outside of Canada, in areas such as the United States, Latin America, the Caribbean and Asia. International operations accounted for approximately 50 per cent of net revenue earned by Canada’s “big six” banks in 2000.

The Financial Sector Stability Assessment, undertaken in 2000 by the International Monetary Fund, concluded that Canada has a stable and highly advanced financial system that is among the soundest in the world. It is supported by a well-developed regulatory and supervisory framework that shows a high degree of compliance with major international standards. Service fees, credit card costs and interest spreads on intermediated credit compare favourably with those of major banks in the industrialized world.
sohodol
sohodol wrote:
sohodol wrote:
sohodol wrote:
sohodol wrote:
mah_lau wrote:

The Financial Sector Stability Assessment, undertaken in 2000 by the International Monetary Fund, concluded that Canada has a stable and highly advanced financial system that is among the soundest in the world. It is supported by a well-developed regulatory and supervisory framework that shows a high degree of compliance with major international standards. Service fees, credit card costs and interest spreads on intermediated credit compare favourably with those of major banks in the industrialized world.

The major domestic banks are among the best-capitalized banks in the world. They maintain capitalization levels that exceed the minimum standards set by the Bank for International Settlements.
Canada’s banks play an important role in the national clearing and settlement system, which is among the most efficient payment systems in the world. Over 4 billion transactions valued at about $32 trillion were cleared in 2000, and the number of payments being made electronically continues to increase as more and more Canadians make payments through the Internet.
sohodol
sohodol wrote:
sohodol wrote:
sohodol wrote:
sohodol wrote:
sohodol wrote:
mah_lau wrote:

The major domestic banks are among the best-capitalized banks in the world. They maintain capitalization levels that exceed the minimum standards set by the Bank for International Settlements.
Canada’s banks play an important role in the national clearing and settlement system, which is among the most efficient payment systems in the world. Over 4 billion transactions valued at about $32 trillion were cleared in 2000, and the number of payments being made electronically continues to increase as more and more Canadians make payments through the Internet.

The performance of Canada’s banks in fiscal year 2000 was very strong, with posted results having reached record levels. The six largest domestic banks reported a combined net income of $9.6 billion, up 5 per cent over the previous year, due primarily to wealth management, retail banking and investment banking. At the same time, total assets, market capitalization and return on common equity also advanced for all six banks.
sohodol
ronb wrote:
The best bank in Canada is President's Choice Financial (www.pcfinancial.ca). They have no branches and I do everything online (pay bills etc..), but the best part is they don't charge any fees. I can use Interact, pay bills, take money out all for free. If you need to deposit or withdraw money you can use the CIBC bank machines for free.

Their savings account is also good. I think you currently earn about 4.00% interest.

As well as having no fee, you can earn earn points "PC Points" that are redeemable for free groceries at the Great Canadian Superstore.

President's Choice also offers a Mastercard, house/auto insurance and great rates on mortgages.

I highly recommend them. I've been a member for almost 10 years now.

Canada’s first chartered bank was founded in Montréal in 1817 by a small group of local merchants. Since then, the banking industry has become a major contributor to economic development and job creation, and plays a key role in supporting the growth of the new economy through significant investments in new technology and the financing of new economy companies.

Up to the middle of the 20th century, the primary function of a bank was to accept deposits and grant commercial loans. In recent years, however, the banking sector has undergone a dramatic transformation. Growth in business and changing customer needs, along with the rapid expansion of international trade, led to the introduction of more automation and new products and services. At the same time, banks started to face increased competition from other financial institutions, and revisions to the Bank Act in 1954 and 1967 enabled them to offer new services such as mortgages and consumer loans. Further changes to financial institutions legislation in 1987 and major revisions to the Bank Act in 1992 also increased competition by permitting banks to operate trust and securities subsidiaries. Today, banks are facing new challenges brought on by rapid technological changes, growing competition from global financial players, and changing customer needs.
sohodol
bongoman wrote:
The best bank depends on how much business and money you have with them! For instance with some banks like Scotia Bank, The Bank of Montreal, and TD Canada Trust, and CIBC you don't pay any fee's if you have a minimum balance in your account (it ranges from 1,000$-5,000$. Most banks give you either a reduced rate if you're a student (in the case of Royal, Scotia Bank, Bank of Montreal charging none for a student). Every bank has no fee's for all their under 19 years of age accounts (something would seem oddly unsettling about that if they did charge a 5$ monthly fee on an 8 year old child's bank account). Generally they are all pretty good banks, which is why I personally believe you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.

As of August 1, 2001, there were 13 domestic banks, 34 foreign bank subsidiaries and 11 foreign bank branches operating in Canada. In total, these institutions manage over $1.6 trillion in assets. The banking industry accounts for about 70 per cent of financial assets within the Canadian financial services sector. The six largest banks account for the bulk of activity, with 90 per cent of total bank assets (see Annex 2 for a list of these banks). The banking industry employs over 235,000 Canadians, and domestic banks provided an estimated Canadian payroll of $16.2 billion in 2000.

List of banks in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaMerged with Provincial Bank of Canada/Banque provinciale du Canada to ... All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_in_Canada - 30k - În Cache - Pagini similare

Royal Bank of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaIts primary marketing name is now RBC and that name is used on all its business ... a federal agency insuring deposits at all of Canada's chartered banks. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Bank_of_Canada - 59k - În Cache - Pagini similare

Jobs In CanadaDirectory Of Canada Employment Agencies, Job Banks & Career Resources. ... Our Own Network Of 75 Canadian City & Career Specific Job Banks. ...
www.allstarjobs.ca/ - 26k - În Cache - Pagini similare

Job Bank - Search
sohodol
mah_lau wrote:

The biggest list of banks-Banks in CanadaIn all, more than 17300 employees are responsible for the tradition of excellence that has come to characterize National Bank of Canada. ...
www.quazell.com/bank/bank_can.html - 12k - În Cache - Pagini similare

Canada's BanksIn addition, in 2001 the six largest domestic banks paid $4.8 billion in taxes to all levels of government. Canada’s banks operate through an extensive ...
www.fin.gc.ca/toce/2002/bank_e.html - 43k - În Cache - Pagini similare

Canada's BanksAt the same time, Canadian banks posted strong results in terms of stock ... The six largest domestic banks all surpassed these requirements in 2000 (see ...
www.fin.gc.ca/toce/2001/bank_e.html - 76k - În Cache - Pagini similare
alexdude
BMO, there loans have very good rates.