FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux to assess Windows NTFS Partitions.

sunjay
Is it possible for linux to assess Windows NTFS partitions?

If so, what do i have to do?

I've got Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and it dual boots with GRUB or something.

Thanks
James
ocalhoun
Some versions of linux can access NTFS, but only read only is commonly supported.
Distros I know that can read NTFS:
SuSE 9.2 or later
Knoppix 3.x or later
Knoppix STD (Security Tools Distribution)

NTFS support is relitively new, but give it time and I'm sure somebody will develop ntfs writing capability as well, if they havn't already without me hearing about it.
test32rota
sunjay wrote:
Is it possible for linux to assess Windows NTFS partitions?

If so, what do i have to do?

I've got Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and it dual boots with GRUB or something.

Thanks
James

You can edit your /etc/fstab to mount NTFS partitions as read-only with permission for all users. If I remember right, in Ubuntu by default only root allowed to access disks with NTFS partitions. So this change will give you access to NTFS from common user.
As mentioned above, support of "write to NTFS" is still experimental and
I think it's disabled in Ubuntu, so you will be required to recompile the kernel in order to play with it.
TheGeek
Dapper Drake (6.06) can by default read and write to NTFS partitions. However, I must make a disclaimer that Ubuntu and any other Linux user would make, writing to NTFS as of right now in linux is NOT ADVISABLE, its risky and can permanently screw up your NTFS partition/corrupt data/mess things up. Reading NTFS is perfectly safe though, i used to have all my music on my NFTS windows partition and would play it fine through XMMS in Dapper. If you still wish to write to the NTFS partition however, there is kernel module available on sourceforge.net (though i cant remember what it is called). Search for "write to NTFS" on sourceforge and you should come up with it. Its a project that has been going on for several years now. HOwever, i have no experience with it so i dont know how well it works yet, though i have heard good things.

There is also a program for windows that can read ext3 partitions if you are interested, but i also cant remember the name, but ill post it if i can remember.
sunjay
thanks heaps guys for the information.

I'm new to linux and so still finding my way around.

I would like to ask, if i wanted to enable read only on NTFS partitions, how would i go about doing that in Ubuntu version 6.06LTS.

test32rota wrote something about editing something but is it okay if you post the procedures?

thanks a lot guys, you make life in the digital age easier!

James
Jaan
yeh, i tried to do the exact same thing, though debian didn't work. you have to "mount" the partition somewhere. /mount or somit, but you need root to do it. i managed to access ntfs from dsl, damnsmalllinux.org, which is a great tool with a small imprint (50mb boots from usb). btw, shpouldn't it be all in the manual?
cheers.
sunjay
hi,

I did check the documentation and that didnt really help.

I went to System, Disks and then enabled my NTFS partitions and then I clicked browse, a windows poped up but said "could not assess".

I dont know what else to do. I'm gonna search on how to edit that etc/fstab thing, but if anyone know how to do it, please post it.
myrevolt
Code:

#sudo mkdir /media/WinXP
#sudo gedit /etc/fstab

insert
#/dev/hda1    /media/WinXP ntfs  nls=utf8,umask=0222 0    0
at the bottom

(note: in place of gedit use whatever text editor you have installed, I prefer nano, but forget if its installed by default; you can always sudo apt-get install nano though)

now save and close.

#sudo mount -a

That should do it...if you need more help PM me or head over to the ubuntuforums...also link is a useful reference.

EDIT: my bad I didn't check the date...this reply is likely worthless.
FunFunkyFritz
There are several projects that enables r/w NTFS in linux.
One uses a M$ driver dll, but i believe it can only access pre-SP2 partitions.
http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

Her is another project:
http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

Commercial product:
http://www.ntfs-linux.com/
test32rota
Sunjay, did myrevolt's tip help to you ?
TheGeek
sunjay wrote:
thanks heaps guys for the information.

I'm new to linux and so still finding my way around.

I would like to ask, if i wanted to enable read only on NTFS partitions, how would i go about doing that in Ubuntu version 6.06LTS.

test32rota wrote something about editing something but is it okay if you post the procedures?

thanks a lot guys, you make life in the digital age easier!

James

If you are using Ubuntu 6.06 and using either Gnome or KDE GUI what i did was make the equivalent to a shortcut in windows on the KDE desktop that would go straight to the drive so that i didnt have to hunt it down every single time i wanted to access it. And for all those people who are saying that you have to do the
Code:
su
mount /mnt/hda1

thats not true, in 6.06 the default for ubuntu is to auto mount all the hard drives on the sytem at boot. The only drive that you have to manually mount after boot usually is CDROM drive which is /mnt/cdrom if i remember right and any removable usb devices that you have.[/code]
test32rota
By the way. Recently announced Slax 5.1.8 (Slackware based live/USB cd) includes ntfs-3g module with stable NTFS-write (as claimed). In this case: ntfsmount it's all you need ;0)
nitesh
there is write support available in ntfs from linux .. "ParagonNTFSdriver" , i used this driver with debian and it worked fine. though this software is not free its worth giving a try!
bongoman
I have personally encountered this problem many times and lately i've been experimenting with linux partition accessing tools within windows, there are a couple of tools out there like ext2fs @ sourceforge (if you use the ext2/3 file system) rfstool (for reiser file systems)