FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

system restarting

mahaprakash
please any one help me. my system restarting whenever i play any game.

config:
pentium 2.4ghz
intel 845gvsr motherboard
256MB ddr ram
LukeakaDanish
Rebooting *may* be caused by overheating - is your pc a laptop? - is there propper air-supply to the ventilation systems?

Otherwise, it may be caused by a virus. Or a virus from ages ago which broke your files. Or your windows (which version BTW?) being messed up.

- Try making sure it isnt because of the heat, and then (if it doesnt work) run antivirus, and if that doesnt work format your HD and reinstall your OS.
Chrisjs
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Rebooting *may* be caused by overheating

Wouldn't Windows shut down rather than restarting? My BIOS controls overheating, so I can't say for sure, but I would think/hope so...

Regardless, try looking at some of the logs. I use WinXP Pro (when I'm not on Linux) so I'm not sure if it's also on Home Edition or now. Try going into the Control Panel to Administative Tools. Go to Event Viewer and look at the System logs for anything around the time it restarted (or reproduce the error if possible). If nothing there, try looking in Security logs, as that has a list of all programs opening and closing.

I kind of doubt this will work, but it's worth a try Wink
LukeakaDanish
Chrisjs wrote:

Wouldn't Windows shut down rather than restarting? My BIOS controls overheating, so I can't say for sure, but I would think/hope so...

All i can say is that i f\_/cked my old laptop from overheating it loads - and when it overheated (when i was using it in bed Smile), it would always reboot.
pudovkin
Usually, MB's reboots on overheating, because the system cools down a lot when XP is off. (you can compare the temp when you're on BIOS and Windows. It can be 50% colder than XP)
cruzo
Usually the most commun failure is a overheated
First you most to know if it is software or hardware cause.
So try by example a www.tufftest.com
Try to start windows in safe mode (pulse F5 or FCool before logo Windows appear
Review all the card in the computer like PCI , Memory , switch , cables all has to be in the correct place and in the correct position.
Get a way all the device no necesary to start the computer I mean disconnect Web cams, Scanner , Printers, network, CD-Rom/DVD even.
Look for the ventilator is it working.
Is there any noise?
Go a head!
The force will with you!
yjwong
Common factors of auto restartnig
- Overheating (Graphics Card, Processor etc.)
- Virus (such as brontok)
- Faulty hardware (Power Supply Unit, Leaking Capacitors, etc.)
JamesBond
in my view, it is either a corrupt windows or a virus. try to go in for a thorough virus scan in safe mode (i assume that it does not restart there).
if the problem persists, i think there might be no other way than to go in for a re-install.

i dont think that restart is caused by overheating. if a pc overheats, it will shut down, not restart, as Chrisjs, in my view, rightly pointed out. personally, i have never heard of such a case in which a system restarts due to overheating. pls correct me if i am wrong.
brandonberg
Another option could possibly be the power supply.. if you are drawing to much current and overloading it then your system would most cirtainly restart. This happened to a friend of mine not long ago.

Starting heavy applications such as games, images editing or video editing/encoding programs can often max out several things such as CPU, GPU, RAM etc.. If your system is idleing and only executing low-end tasks then it may not have a problem, but on the off chance its on the borderline and it suddenly has to draw a lot more power, then it can overload it. (This happened to my friend because he had all his high-end components and case gear but never upgraded the PSU until the last minute.)

anyway, its probably not the case but it might be. Check it out anyway.

Very Happy
corey
Chrisjs wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Rebooting *may* be caused by overheating

Regardless, try looking at some of the logs. I use WinXP Pro (when I'm not on Linux) so I'm not sure if it's also on Home Edition or now. Try going into the Control Panel to Administative Tools. Go to Event Viewer and look at the System logs for anything around the time it restarted (or reproduce the error if possible). If nothing there, try looking in Security logs, as that has a list of all programs opening and closing.

I kind of doubt this will work, but it's worth a try Wink
Windows XP is configured to reboot on errors. Its stupid, but that's the Microsoft first fix for everything - reboot. Turn off this "feature" so that you can see the error on the blue screen. Then you can diagnose what the problem is. Usually these types of problems are related to DirectX or the video driver (may need a reinstall). As mentioned before, it could be a power supply or RAM problem as well.

To turn off the reboot, right click on "My Computer" (even in the start menu) and choose "Properties". Then, on the "Advanced" tab, under "Startup and Recovery (its a button), click on the "Settings" button and uncheck the box under "System Failure" where it says "Automatically Restart".
billgertz
it depends on the type of game that your are playing. well as what others say, common problem is overheating on the video card. it other words is a possible hardware failure on your end. also check on the drivers of your video card if its properly installed.

Thanks.
mirpk
I think that your system is overloaded, because at you in the computer having overheated, try to open the computer and to clean a dust..
I think it will help, in new computers there is a system of protection of the processor, when temperature reaches 100 degrees () your computer automatic is disconnected.
jooize
yjwong wrote:
Common factors of auto restartnig
- Overheating (Graphics Card, Processor etc.)
- Virus (such as brontok)
- Faulty hardware (Power Supply Unit, Leaking Capacitors, etc.)

Like yjwong said, overheating and faulty hardware could be the reason.
Do you get the famous BSoD? (Blue Screen of Death). This could come from a Windows bug, or just one of that alternatives.

Good Luck!