FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Joomla!

Xavier
Has anybosy tried Joomla? Its an opensource website building tool.
I have just installed it on my system & lets see how I can tweak it to make a new website!
Any opinions about Joomla? Anyone using it here. Till now the look & feel seems real nice & friendly!
Waiting for ppl to give their opinions about it!
alienjones
Ja. Using Joomla on my site http://daze.dontexist.net and I really appreciate it. There are tons of modules, even onlineshops to integrate. Joomla rules as long as you don't mind using style-templates. Didn't try creating my own design yet but I guess it's not so easy.
Arno v. Lumig
I gotta say that it looks brilliant, but I want to do things myself, not let a program do things for me Sad.

I've also noticed that Joomla uses both Frames AND Tables for the layout. That's really not cool :S

Greetz,
Arno
neji
Hmm isn't Joomla the "lite"-version of Mambo?
{name here}
neji wrote:
Hmm isn't Joomla the "lite"-version of Mambo?

No, Joomla is the result of a split development team because the Mambo guys wanted to take Mambo a different direction, which is why both of them are exactly the same in most respects.

Joomla and Mambo have very bloated inefficiant templating systems, and so I do not use them. Many a CMS can out perform Joomla and Mambo because of this, plus have less files.
mOrpheuS
Moved from "Software" to "Website Software".
Diebels
alienjones wrote:
Ja. Using Joomla on my site http://daze.dontexist.net and I really appreciate it. There are tons of modules, even onlineshops to integrate. Joomla rules as long as you don't mind using style-templates. Didn't try creating my own design yet but I guess it's not so easy.

Hallo, you´re a bit wrong there... It is possibele to change anything in Joomla with css. (every module, komponents etc)

to Arno v. Lumig:
It alway depends on the template you´re using if tables and frames are involved. Check www.Joomlaos.de and chech out the 1000+ templates

Diebels
alternatif
Joomla splitted from Mambo. I think Mambo tends to be commercial cms in the future. So be careful to use it.

Sorry may be I wrong, but let see... Thanks
ezekiel_rage
Diebels wrote:
alienjones wrote:

Hallo, you´re a bit wrong there... It is possibele to change anything in Joomla with css. (every module, komponents etc)

to Arno v. Lumig:
It alway depends on the template you´re using if tables and frames are involved. Check www.Joomlaos.de and chech out the 1000+ templates

Diebels

admitedly, there is a learning curve in creating custom templates for Joomla/Mambo.

But after that it is just a breeze creating custom templates.

There are skills required though.

You need at least basic skills and understanding of HTML, and CSS.

It will also help you can at least read PHP code, nevermind coding in PHP (at least in the beginnig)

The key in creating templates is understanding how Joomla/mambo structures its content. Like module positions, settings paths, etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
ezekiel_rage
alternatif wrote:
Joomla splitted from Mambo. I think Mambo tends to be commercial cms in the future. So be careful to use it.

Sorry may be I wrong, but let see... Thanks

We have recently ported our company site to CMS.

I have argued that we should use Joomla, but the Art director wants to use Mambo.

In short we had to use Mambo.

But you know what, since i am the one who have primary control on the site, I have been putting off updating to the latest version of Mambo and waiting for the time that his decision to use mambo comes back and bite him in the a*s.

That way I will be able to update to Joomla 1.0.11 easily and to Joomla 1.5 afterwards.

Sneaky, ain't I?
parokya
I had an installation of Joomla years ago. I never got to use it. I'll never install it again for one reason: the distro is too big and the URL it creates for its component pages does not look good. And though it has a plugin that helps one create SEO links, one'll need to do it manually. The same goes for Mambo...
Handyman
I use Joomla on my site kirk-realtor.com. I think it is great because of all the mods and components. Other cms's don't have as many to choose from. I am currently using a pre-made template and in the woorks of building a new template.

I found a plugin for NVU that is a mambo/joomla template builder. Just google it. The plug-in has buttons to insert the php code for the modules into your template and then build the package with the installer files.

There is also a joomla extension for dreamweaver that does the same thing.

I hope that my $.02 helps.....
avk
even i used joomla on my site but couldn't use it well so left it.
evilryu530
joomla is tight, i just started useing it, it's still growing, it's awesome, easy to do, and fully editable.
Vins
Hello,
In my opinion Joomla! at this moment is really the best CMS and Free OpenSource project to make own website, commercial website, financial website, industrial website, school website, and all sites that you can make in your mind...
The future joomla project, fresh J 1.5 is an exaple, is focused on the accessibility statement, that other CMS for now don't have, best templates are made for Joomla, best moules, best component, and best at all..
You see, I am a Fan n1 of Joomla! heh..
Just one council if is possible, use it ever in stand alone, dont use sucks bridge for forums or similar like that.
Good look you all and sorry my bad english Smile
okullar
Joomla is very good but if you are beginner, it is some hard to be familiar with it. You have to look for every section/categories/modules etc. after many times you discover, you can handle with it easily. But first time, i was very confused.
welshsteve
I've been planning to try Joomla but haven't got round to it yet.
mikethm
okullar wrote:
Joomla is very good but if you are beginner, it is some hard to be familiar with it. You have to look for every section/categories/modules etc. after many times you discover, you can handle with it easily. But first time, i was very confused.

This is so very true. I started redoing my website with Joomla! as it seems to have a lot of customisable components and plugins. I figured a CMS would save me effort in updating my website in the long run as I estimate I will make around a hundred pages of original content before my basic website plan is completed. Took me an entire week before I get the hang of using it and finding the best modules and plugins which fit my needs.

Settled on Joomla because it seems to have the prettiest and plentiful templates of the CMSes I looked at. Went away from manual html editing because it is time consuming and I have no knowledge of php except for cut and pasting lol.

With Joomla, I don't have to figure out how to set up a members' areas coz it is built into the CMS. Ya you can use the DirectAdmin to set up a password protected directory but that lead to more work in html links editing.

One entire day was spent on forum board hunting. Tried the basic joomlaboard but didn't like its frontend design. Decided to stay with my fave phpBB and took me some hours to integrate the Joomla native login with the phpBB login using plugins and some messy hacked( by the author of the plugin module) files.

Then spent a couple of days gathering the other addons( Community Builder, Search Engine Friendly URLs generator, Sitemap generator, Meta Tag generator, Statistics module, WYSIWYG editor, file management component etc). Testing them out and finding the solutions on some bugs( Like DocMan would break the css template).

After which I spent more time fiddling with the layout of the templates I installed. Wow it is amazing what a pain it is figuring out how to link, place contents and remove unwanted stuffs. I practically spend another couple of days working things out. Certainly not intuitive like what some people claim. Stupid terminologies running havoc all over the CMS. 2 dozen catagories of link types??? Addons are called components, modules, mamobots...zzzz Why can't they keep it simple and give it names which people can figure it out?

Then I spend another day on figuring out how to get rid of the stupid Joomla! graphical logos all over the places on the default template. Finally decided to modify the logo to my own logo using GIMP. What a pain it was for a beginner to website building( Ain't we the target audience of CMSes???)

So in conclusion, if you just want a simple website... CMSes are not for you. Far easier to find a html template you like... edit the layout and links with a WYSIWYG editor, make clones and modify the blank clones by adding in content. Nevertheless, I am gonna to stay with Joomla! since I figured out how to run it and have it set up the way I want it. Right now, I have managed to set up the basic layout of my website only. If anyone want a look at Joomla website in progress. Take a look at mine at www.miketoh.com.
k3hrn
Handyman wrote:

I found a plugin for NVU that is a mambo/joomla template builder. Just google it. The plug-in has buttons to insert the php code for the modules into your template and then build the package with the installer files.

Is this the one?
http://mamboxchange.com/frs/?group_id=469&release_id=1431

I just installed joomla, I must have a mental block....can someone suggest a tutorial for a slow and old learner?

thanks
makli
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
I gotta say that it looks brilliant, but I want to do things myself, not let a program do things for me Sad.

I've also noticed that Joomla uses both Frames AND Tables for the layout. That's really not cool :S

Greetz,
Arno

Maybe, you appreciate doing things by yourself. But the other way is to understand, how the program works. And it safes a lot of work, if you let a program do your work.

Joomla! doesn't use any frames! And tables are used by the default layout theme, but you are free to develop a template with plain XHTML-standard.

Makli
100BillionDollars
I need help with joomla. I have no prior experience in design or programming but I have setup joomla on other hosters before but I do not know what the Host name Is and the MySQL database name is. I will make a video tutorial of the setup and post it on youtube for future DIY's if their is a tutorial already I would also like to know thank please help.
{name here}
100BillionDollars wrote:
I need help with joomla. I have no prior experience in design or programming but I have setup joomla on other hosters before but I do not know what the Host name Is and the MySQL database name is. I will make a video tutorial of the setup and post it on youtube for future DIY's if their is a tutorial already I would also like to know thank please help.

Here ithe host name is going to be localhost and the database name will have yourname_databasename as your database name.
100BillionDollars
I am trying to install any addons but everything is unwritable what can I do?

When I checked the joomla forum I found something about

Joomla Forums wrote:
"Depending on your hosts configuration is whether you need to make directories 777 (webserver runs as a different user to your user ******) or can just use 755 (phpSUexec or similar installed)."

And I have no clue please help
nuxalk
mikethm wrote:
okullar wrote:

This is so very true. I started redoing my website with Joomla! as it seems to have a lot of customisable components and plugins. I figured a CMS would save me effort in updating my website in the long run as I estimate I will make around a hundred pages of original content before my basic website plan is completed. Took me an entire week before I get the hang of using it and finding the best modules and plugins which fit my needs.

Settled on Joomla because it seems to have the prettiest and plentiful templates of the CMSes I looked at. Went away from manual html editing because it is time consuming and I have no knowledge of php except for cut and pasting lol.

With Joomla, I don't have to figure out how to set up a members' areas coz it is built into the CMS. Ya you can use the DirectAdmin to set up a password protected directory but that lead to more work in html links editing.

One entire day was spent on forum board hunting. Tried the basic joomlaboard but didn't like its frontend design. Decided to stay with my fave phpBB and took me some hours to integrate the Joomla native login with the phpBB login using plugins and some messy hacked( by the author of the plugin module) files.

Then spent a couple of days gathering the other addons( Community Builder, Search Engine Friendly URLs generator, Sitemap generator, Meta Tag generator, Statistics module, WYSIWYG editor, file management component etc). Testing them out and finding the solutions on some bugs( Like DocMan would break the css template).

After which I spent more time fiddling with the layout of the templates I installed. Wow it is amazing what a pain it is figuring out how to link, place contents and remove unwanted stuffs. I practically spend another couple of days working things out. Certainly not intuitive like what some people claim. Stupid terminologies running havoc all over the CMS. 2 dozen catagories of link types??? Addons are called components, modules, mamobots...zzzz Why can't they keep it simple and give it names which people can figure it out?

Then I spend another day on figuring out how to get rid of the stupid Joomla! graphical logos all over the places on the default template. Finally decided to modify the logo to my own logo using GIMP. What a pain it was for a beginner to website building( Ain't we the target audience of CMSes???)

So in conclusion, if you just want a simple website... CMSes are not for you. Far easier to find a html template you like... edit the layout and links with a WYSIWYG editor, make clones and modify the blank clones by adding in content. Nevertheless, I am gonna to stay with Joomla! since I figured out how to run it and have it set up the way I want it. Right now, I have managed to set up the basic layout of my website only. If anyone want a look at Joomla website in progress. Take a look at mine at www.miketoh.com.

i'm in the process of working on a Joomla based site. Mainly for the purposes of forum options, form creation, wiki option and basic... i see that you talked of creating a forum for you site. which extension did you use if you don't mind me asking?
Handyman
Quote:
I am trying to install any addons but everything is unwritable what can I do?

When I checked the joomla forum I found something about

Joomla Forums wrote:
"Depending on your hosts configuration is whether you need to make directories 777 (webserver runs as a different user to your user ******) or can just use 755 (phpSUexec or similar installed)."

And I have no clue please help

You will have to cmod the component, mambot, and moduel directorie folders to 777 using direct admin file management , ftp client like fireftp, or Joomla explorer.
Scorpio
{name here} wrote:

Many a CMS can out perform Joomla and Mambo because of this, plus have less files.

Your suggestions on other effective CMSes?