FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

First anime series

silentdae
What was the first anime series you ever watched?

For me it was Dragonball Z. At first I thought it was really stupid but then I actually -watched- (*gasp*) an episode.
Right now my favorite anime is Yu Yu Hakusho. I'm on episode 66. Watching a lot of them in a row can kinda get annoying because you can realize patterns and predict what will happen but i guess that's how most anime is really.
I also really like FLCL (Furi Kuri), anyone ever seen it? It's weird. I haven't seen any of it for years actually.
Anyways...first post!
rightclickscott
I'm ashamed to admit that the first series I ever watched any episodes in was Pokemon, but the first series that I watched completely was Cowboy Bebop.

Alot of people are indifferent about FLCL (and I want to know where you got Furi Kuri from, as long as I've known, it's been Fooly Cooly), but I love the show. Since I didn't feel like getting all 3 of the DVDs for 6 episodes, which is a real ripoff, I got a high quality bootleg one with all six on it.
Scaramanga
Hmmm, for me it had to be some of the early stuff like Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) and Starblazers (Space Battleship Yamato). But the first anime series that I watched (and later bought on VHS) and realised was from Japan, was Robotech.

rightclickscott wrote:
(and I want to know where you got Furi Kuri from, as long as I've known, it's been Fooly Cooly)

Well the kana for it is フリクリ (literally Furi Kuri,) but yes, the official romanization is Fooly Cooly. But the Japanese don't have an L, so they will never pronounce it that way.

rightclickscott wrote:
I got a high quality bootleg

Wow, is that ever an oxymoron. Very Happy
Fun fact, they are releasing a new FLCL Ultimate Edition set in November, which has an MSRP of $70 (which I'm sure will be available online for much cheaper.) The set will include the entire series on 3 discs, plus an extra disc of nothing but special features, a set of stickers, a coupon redeemable for a FLCL t-shirt, 6 postcard set of all the robots, and the FLCL Ultimate book, with translation notes and other cool stuff in it.
handles
The first anime I watched while knowing it was anime was Gravitation. Before that, I'd seen shows like Sailor Moon and CCS and not realized they'd been produced in a different country.
rightclickscott
Scaramanga wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:
(and I want to know where you got Furi Kuri from, as long as I've known, it's been Fooly Cooly)

Well the kana for it is フリクリ (literally Furi Kuri,) but yes, the official romanization is Fooly Cooly. But the Japanese don't have an L, so they will never pronounce it that way.

Thus, engrish is formed...

Scaramanga wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:
I got a high quality bootleg

Wow, is that ever an oxymoron. Very Happy

You only say that cause I didn't pay much. The show quality is actually pretty good, but, once again, for a bootleg, I mean.

Scaramanga wrote:
Fun fact, they are releasing a new FLCL Ultimate Edition set in November, which has an MSRP of $70 (which I'm sure will be available online for much cheaper.) The set will include the entire series on 3 discs, plus an extra disc of nothing but special features, a set of stickers, a coupon redeemable for a FLCL t-shirt, 6 postcard set of all the robots, and the FLCL Ultimate book, with translation notes and other cool stuff in it.

Sounds fun, but all I really want to see are the special features. I mean, some of that stuff sounds cool, but I really don't want to spring 70 bucks for 6 episodes that I already have and stickers.
Kurosaki-Ichigo
^_^ . Mines was either card capture sakura ( when i was 8 ) or DBZ . And about the anime your talking about, i dont know what it is . Then it was beyblade then Yugioh then Duel masters then naruto and now i give you ! ----------------BLEACH-------------- .
hlavco
I dunno... probably old Toonami stuff. I think it was called... Voltron? That's the one I remember most, anyway.
Asgardsfall
The first Anime I watched was Battle of the Planets. It was my all time favourite cartoon and sparked a love of Comics and Anime.
The first Anime I ever bought was Dominion Tank police on VHS. It was pretty rare in the shops and I had a choice of about 6 titles. Mail order didnt exist in my neck of the woods.
Bakera
I started out at Pokemon, then it evolved (heh) into DBZ. I would have to say DBZ was the first I truely got into. Since then I've watched a few Anime series that I've loved: Ruroni Kenshin(spelling?), Full Metal Alchemist, Samauri Champloo, InuYasha, Yu Yu Hakasho.

BTW, everyone who hasn't should watch Akira. It's not a series, but it's an excellent Anime. Speaking of Anime movies, Ninja Scroll is good as well.
TonkPilz
My first anime series i saw most have bean Silver Fang, Cyborg 009 (1968), Starzinger or maybe Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs

these are amazingly old and I'm a bit surprised i maneged to remember half of em. and i cant really say witch i saw first but these are among the first contacts i had whit anime

and just like Asgardsfall my first bought anime was dominion tank police (the old one)
crimson_aria
I can't really remember. I think it was...Sailormoon? Hhmm... not so sure. The first anime series I completed watching was Yu Yu Hakusho. It's special, Yu Yu Hakusho started everything for me.
QrafTee
My first anime series was either... Dragonball classic... Voltron, Robotech, Gundam classic, or... uhh... that's about it I guess.
After that, I watch many others ranging from alchemy to boxing to go to even more robots and finally somewhere around shamans.
NeoValkyrion
Well.....if DBZ counted as an anime, then it was DBZ. If not, then the first TRUE anime I watched was Full Metal Alchemist.
driftingfe3s
Mine was proabably also Speed Racer. I don't remeber to much of it since it was so long ago but I didn't even know it was a dubbed Japanese cartoon then.
Etcetera
I remember coming home every wednesday from getting new casts (feet problems) and watching the Cell Games on DBZ Very Happy. My sister and I used to be obsessed with it and almost watched it from the beginning. The toonami back then wasn't so bad, either..
quick_basic
I first watched pokemon and watched it up until a few seasons ago and the only anime I have watched all episodes was FMA and I am currently watching Trinity Blood but I keep missing it on tv.
Jupernia
The first anime series I remeber seening was Robotech in the 80's. I still love to watch that show, but not in english. Subbed is evil. ^.^
Darkfall
rightclickscott wrote:
I'm ashamed to admit that the first series I ever watched any episodes in was Pokemon, but the first series that I watched completely was Cowboy Bebop.

Alot of people are indifferent about FLCL (and I want to know where you got Furi Kuri from, as long as I've known, it's been Fooly Cooly), but I love the show. Since I didn't feel like getting all 3 of the DVDs for 6 episodes, which is a real ripoff, I got a high quality bootleg one with all six on it.

FLCL is actually "Furi Kuri", but as you know the citizens of Japan, Korea and other Asian countries have problems with the letter R making it come out as L, hence why you got Fooly Cooly.

Any real anime otaku will know that it is indeed Furi Kuri, but western bastardization has changed it over this way.

I first watched Pokemon, couldn't call it my first series as it still hasnt ended yet, but the first I watched from start to end was Trigun as Dragonball/Z/GT amassed a longer period than it took me to obtain 26 Trigun episodes with 56k Razz

Since then I've watched over 200 animes ;//
yy1124
Anime?

Maybe dragon ball, but..

the first anime that I finished (since the first episod to the last) will be Evagelion
rightclickscott
Darkfall wrote:
FLCL is actually "Furi Kuri", but as you know the citizens of Japan, Korea and other Asian countries have problems with the letter R making it come out as L, hence why you got Fooly Cooly.

Any real anime otaku will know that it is indeed Furi Kuri, but western bastardization has changed it over this way.

Scaramanga wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:

I got it the first time around, Darkfall. Besides, I actually think Fooly Cooly sounds funnier than Furi Kuri, so I'll stick with my western bastardization, thank you very much.
Scaramanga
rightclickscott wrote:
Darkfall wrote:

Scaramanga wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:

I got it the first time around, Darkfall. Besides, I actually think Fooly Cooly sounds funnier than Furi Kuri, so I'll stick with my western bastardization, thank you very much.

In the West, FLCL or Fooly Cooly IS the official romanization, so you're correct anyway. Very Happy
urbanbuddha
Fansub wise, my first anime was either Ah! My Goddess 6-part OVAs or the Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) series. Those were fun times when I had to wait an hour or two to download the ~70mb real media files.

Licensed-wise, my first anime was either Samurai Pizza Cats. I love that series, though I want the DVD box set, if it does exist O_O;
eku53ru
My very first anime had been either Sailor Moon or Dragonball Z - I've forgotten which one I saw first. Back then, though, I was unaware that either series was anime, and thought they were American cartoons that just looked a lot better, visually, than many of their counterparts (I was six or seven at the time, heh XD).

The first series that really caught my eye had been Boku no Chikyuu wo Mamotte/Please Save My Earth and Urusei Yatsura/Those Obnoxious Aliens, though; they were the first non-mainstream series I saw, even though I was nine at the time.

In terms of fansubs, though, my first series must have been Sailor Moon or Fushigi Yuugi. I had purchased one of the "old-school" fansub tapes of Sailor Moon StarS from a store, and with Fushigi Yuugi a friend lent me her copy of the series.
Obake
I was very lucky with this: the first anime series I actually watched was Neon Genesis: Evangelion, which is still one of my favourites, even if I do recognise that a certain amount of that comes from the sentimentality associated with a First Time.

How it happened was, my brother and sister were getting right into Pokemon, DBZ, etc., as dubbed and chopped and spliced and diced to make them appropriate viewing for Western children's innocent little eyes. And I'd catch glimpses of it, or wince at the dialogue in passing. Having seen the movie Porco Rosso, I knew that anime was capable was much better, so one day I went to Ye Lokalle Video Rentalle and managed to find the first volume of Eva. I had no clue what it was really about, but the blurb made it sound interesting and it looked much better drawn than what was getting shown on TV. So I borrowed it out, we watched, and immediately started lobbying Ye Lokalle Video Rentalle for more.

That particular store now has an entire set of shelves devoted to anime releases, thanks in large part to the enthusiasm of my family and friends. Very Happy

On a different note:

Scaramanga wrote:

Shocked Oh my gosh I wants it precioussss! *grabby hands*

I assume the November release date is for the US?
filet
hehehe mine is doremon..watch it from tv
Scaramanga
Obake wrote:
I was very lucky with this: the first anime series I actually watched was Neon Genesis: Evangelion, which is still one of my favourites, even if I do recognise that a certain amount of that comes from the sentimentality associated with a First Time.

<snippety snip>
Having seen the movie Porco Rosso...

But technically, then Eva wasn't your first anime, Porco Rosso was.

Obake wrote:

Scaramanga wrote:

Shocked Oh my gosh I wants it precioussss! *grabby hands*

I assume the November release date is for the US?

Yup. I've checked all the R4 (Australian) online retailers I know, and none of them seem to list it. Your best bet may be importing the R1 American release.
Obake
Scaramanga wrote:
But technically, then Eva wasn't your first anime, Porco Rosso was.

^^; But technically technically, Eva was my first anime series: Porco Rosso was was my first anime movie.

Still, it was nice to have Miyazaki as my introduction.

Scaramanga wrote:
Yup. I've checked all the R4 (Australian) online retailers I know, and none of them seem to list it. Your best bet may be importing the R1 American release.

...Aw. Better start saving, I guess. Thanks for letting us know about it.
NewGuyinTown
The first japanese anime series I watch on TV is: Dragonball Z, then Pokemon, then Kenshin

First japanese series on computer: Chrno Crusade.

Last japanese series I have just completed: Air Gear.
jasmine
I believe it was ... Astroboy! (when I was really really young!)

Funny thing is, I remember wathching it regularly as a kid but now I can't remember a single episode of it! HAHA
nigam
Yeah I think so it's astroboy, i still remember that time.... sweet.
FunDa
I think i started with "Ranger Mushashi" - about fishing, didn't know fishing could be so exciting. But that was long ago.
What i watched recently were Pokemon, Digimon, Card captors, Ninja Robots - I'm not really sure that all these are anime , i've come across the term only recently.
INeedHelp
My first real anime was Bleach. Then came Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, Black Cat, and I think that is about it as of right now. I only wish I could devote more of my time to watching anime...
darvit
The first anime series I ever watched was Voltes V, Dragonball Z.. during the late 80's and early 90's...

There are other series that I remember watching as a kid: TimeQuest, Ranma 1/2, Superboink, Sailormoon, Daimos, Akazukin Cha-Cha...

..And my later favorites such as Rurouni Kenshin, and Sol Bianca.
ddukki
Astroboy, the original ... well, I guess it wasn't original, since it was dubbed in korean ... but it was from the Old OLD Japanese version. I almost jumped off a ledge trying to be him when I was around 5 or so.
animassacre
The first anime that inspired my to become a anime freek was Docuro-chan.

But in fact it wasn't the first on that i wached --may be the first one was tank police(dominion) -which i wached again together with new dominian.
Those are good staf , i definetly recomend them to you.
Xellos
for me it was Dragon Ball!
it was so long aho when i was still in elementary. the show was playing on channel 17/29 early in the morning. like around 6:30am or 7AM
dvanex
I first watched dragon ball Z until I realized it sucked. I think the blinding flashes of light somehow brainwashed me into watching it for a while. I can't say it isn't action packed but the story is stupid and it is very repetitive.
kou9992
I think my first was Tenchi in Tokyo on Toonami a long time ago. Right now I'm watching Love Hina Again.
z054301
I have to admit the first anime I ever watched was Dragonball Z. I thought that wasn't too bad until I started watching other anime about, 2 years ago now. I came to realise just how bad it was in comparison to other amime
themarauder
Unfortunately, the first anime I watched was ... DragonBall ... but I reather liked it that time; I mean I was pretty small and the fighting was pretty cool at the time. Right now Rurouni Kenshin and Bleach are my favourites though. I liked Inuyasha for some time when it ran but it turned out to be a total flop in the end. So I just read the manga. Wayy better.
love2infekt
Mine was Speed Racer... such good times it was indeed. They do not make shows like those anymore. Whatever happened to the good ol' days?
AnimePSP
Pokemon and Dragonball Z. I know, I know, but you have to start somewhere. I've been hooked ever since. Very Happy Very Happy
olag
My first anime, if i don't count pokemon, is tenjou tenge that my cousin lent me, i loved this serie and after i continued on Naruto and now i sometime watch animes.
SeanoRLY?
First anime I ever seen was Dragonball Z. That was about 4 or more years ago. I didnt even know what anime was back then. I called it a cartoon =\
Eventually I seen Gundam Wing, and then CNX for a few years. Then I found Naruto, and came across a whole different world of anime.

Ever since then I have been a huge fan. (Same with manga).
yy1124
Can doraemon consider an animation? Smile
Ranti84
I can't remember which I saw first...Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors or Robotech.

I love Ronin Warriors ^_^ Well...aside from ep 2 where the voices are all messed up.
varon
i think it was Astroboy. I was watching it at two years old. XD
Seiji
First anime I started watching was Case Closed. I think I saw the first episode in 98.
roninmedia
Transformers: Generation 2.
Chalchihuitlicue
The first anime I ever watched was the Gatchaman dub "G-Force". I was so obsessed with that show! I watched it every chance I got, but I was so young at the time that now I can't even remember much about it.

The first anime I ever watched knowing that it was anime was Sailor Moon, when I was about 12 or 13. Very Happy I'd get up at 5:30 AM just to watch it!
mansonivan
I think my first anime series was doraemon. second was transfomer and then dragonball Z. I still loving all these old time anime and i still willing to watch them rite now. Smile
prilly_baby
mine was either hello kitty, sailor moon or dragon ball Z i dont remember which one came first. Or maybe I watched all at the same time Surprised
Chelissamow
My first animes were Hello Kitty, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Pokemon~

But the series that got me REALLY into anime was InuYasha. And then it was Rurouni Kenshin (even though I never finished watching it...).
bond4154
Believe it or not, my first anime was Doraemon. =P

Yes, I'm tremendously old-school.
willy101
I'd have to say Anpanman! Yeah I'm pretty old too...
Eclipse
Ah, for the days of Inuyasha. If you like that show as well PM me, I need to find more inuyasha lovers.
Obake
Eclipse wrote:
Ah, for the days of Inuyasha. If you like that show as well PM me, I need to find more inuyasha lovers.

... O.o;; In Australia, we've only had Inuyasha (legally, licensed, on DVDs for our own region) for the last couple of years, so there are still plenty of big fans around here. I'm not one of them, but the Madman licensing/distribution company has an Inuyasha-specific forum here where you might find some like-minded people.