FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Game Server

Vanilla Crazy
This doesn't seem to be covered, but can you use your site as a game server? I'm not planning to, but it would be nice to know that I could if I wanted too. I'd probably ASK and be specific if I was planning something...
LukeakaDanish
You might find it difficult to install whatever game you want to host on frihost...

I dont recall the rules having anything about it though...
Bondings
It depends what game you have in mind?
Vanilla Crazy
I was thinking Soldat. It's about 7 MB, freeware, though for 10 bucks you can play MP3 music in it and change jet color.

www.soldat.pl

Anyway, since there is an .EXE to host a dedicated server, I was wondering whether it would be possible. I have 56k, and frankly that sucks, especially for server hosting. I never would imagine hosting a game of Half-Life 2 or Counter Strike on it, that's absurd.
LukeakaDanish
Just a thought:

Even if you could do it, dont you think server 2 is a little to unstable to run anything like that?

You wouldnt want tthe game to crash when mySQL or php restarts (around every half hour if i remember correctly)
Vanilla Crazy
Games in Soldat don't last that lon, if they did, it would be BOOOORING.

Anyway, if it didn't work out, at least you tried. Game servers nowadays cost 10 dollars per slot per hour (some do anyway), and you guys give us more than enough to allow everyone perfect connections to the server with 10 GB. Since Soldat isn't a graphically intense game, though it may need DX7 at least, it shouldn't be too strenuous.
Bondings
Vanilla Crazy wrote:
I was thinking Soldat. It's about 7 MB, freeware, though for 10 bucks you can play MP3 music in it and change jet color.

www.soldat.pl

Anyway, since there is an .EXE to host a dedicated server, I was wondering whether it would be possible. I have 56k, and frankly that sucks, especially for server hosting. I never would imagine hosting a game of Half-Life 2 or Counter Strike on it, that's absurd.

Oh no, that's definately not possible. And a .exe won't run anyway.

Also we don't allow music, unless you have prior permission and you created it yourself (or your band, family, friends).
Vanilla Crazy
Oh, dang.

Well, since I had no intention of registering a server copy of the game, then music wouldn't be a problem.
hsandhu21
Yea you'd prob want to run a game server with a dedicated game server hosting company at least that way you don't have to worry about stability speed and all the other factors. If it's for a game like Counter-strike i think there used to be a company that did free game server hosting
Daniel15
For anyone that's wondering, it's usually not possible to run a game server on FriHost (unless the game uses a PHP/MySQL backend for the server). This is because:

• The server runs Linux, so Windows programs can't run on it
  • If you put your own custom server script on our server, we wouldn't be able to monitor the bandwidth usage from it (which would mean the server could use heaps and heaps of bandwidth)
  • We are only a web hosting service, not a general "put your custom server program here" service Razz

If we did allow game servers, it would most likely slow down the server heaps. Most game servers have one or more servers dedicated to that one game (as some can take heaps of resources).
Darkfall
Daniel15 wrote:

• The server runs Linux, so Windows programs can't run on it

Actually, as long as it's not built on the .net framework, it's portable Smile