FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

7-Eleven Dropping Venezuela-Backed Citgo

S3nd K3ys
7-11 figures it out.

Quote:
Sep 27 12:13 PM US/Eastern

Convenience store operator 7-Eleven Inc. is dropping Venezuela-backed Citgo as its gasoline supplier at more than 2,100 locations and switching to its own brand of fuel.

The retailer said Wednesday it will purchase fuel from several distributors, including Tower Energy Group of Torrance, Calif., Sinclair Oil of Salt Lake City, and Houston-based Frontier Oil Corp.

A spokeswoman for Dallas-based 7-Eleven said its 20-year contract with Citgo Petroleum Corp. ends next week. About 2,100 of 7-Eleven's 5,300 U.S. stores sell gasoline.

Citgo is a Houston-based subsidiary of Venezuela's state-owned oil company, and the foreign parent became a public-relations issue for 7- Eleven because of comments by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

Chavez has called President George W. Bush the devil and an alcoholic. The U.S. government has warned that Chavez is a destabilizing force in Latin America.

7-Eleven spokesman Margaret Chabris said that, "Regardless of politics, we sympathize with many Americans' concern over derogatory comments about our country and its leadership recently made by Venezuela's president Hugo Chavez."

Chabris said a boycott of Citgo gasoline would hurt the 4,000 employees of the U.S. subsidiary, who have no connection to Venezuela.

7-Eleven had been considering creating its own brand of fuel since at least early last year. Company officials said at the time they had spoken with independent fuel distributors.

SOURCE

Perhaps Iran can supliment them for the loss of business. Laughing Laughing Laughing
JoeFriday
I was just about to post about this.. excellent news!
suntzu3500
Good for 7-11. We need to send a message to venezuela that they can't say whatever they want about us.
S3nd K3ys
I think the Military has contracts with CITGO as well. Will be interesting to see if they stop as well.
simp
Instead of the Venezuelan gasoline suppliers, they should get rid of the Pakistani franchisees.

Oh, well - artifically limit your choices, don't be surprised if your costs go up. But that's okay, you can always pass the costs on to your American petro-slaves. They'll pay anything to get their oil fix.

They'll even send their children to die in the desert.
JoeFriday
yeah, we americans have a funny concept that freedom is worth dying for

but I'm sure life is better over in France where you live, simp.. let's see.. unemployment over there is about 12 percent now? except among the 18-25 year demographic where it's more like 25 percent.. and what's petrol going for now.. about 2.50 euros a litre? that's about 5 bucks a gallon, I believe.. not that the french need it.. it's not like they have jobs to commute to
inShoot
Well good for 7-11. I think that's admirable. Like someone else said before, whether or not you like our president, you can't expect to come to our country running your mouth, and not expect people to be upset. That's just disrespectful. This IS one of the few countries where you could come and say something about our president and walk out of here alive. Most places, he'd be nothing but a memory.
smalls
I'm going to have to look around my house to find the nearest 7-11. I think I'll be headed there more often.
suntzu3500
smalls wrote:
I'm going to have to look around my house to find the nearest 7-11. I think I'll be headed there more often.

Definatly the same. Chavez has been annoying me. I don't like Bush much but really, this guy takes it way overboard.
damj
S3nd K3ys wrote:
7-11 figures it out.

Quote:
Sep 27 12:13 PM US/Eastern

Convenience store operator 7-Eleven Inc. is dropping Venezuela-backed Citgo as its gasoline supplier at more than 2,100 locations and switching to its own brand of fuel.

The retailer said Wednesday it will purchase fuel from several distributors, including Tower Energy Group of Torrance, Calif., Sinclair Oil of Salt Lake City, and Houston-based Frontier Oil Corp.

A spokeswoman for Dallas-based 7-Eleven said its 20-year contract with Citgo Petroleum Corp. ends next week. About 2,100 of 7-Eleven's 5,300 U.S. stores sell gasoline.

Citgo is a Houston-based subsidiary of Venezuela's state-owned oil company, and the foreign parent became a public-relations issue for 7- Eleven because of comments by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

Chavez has called President George W. Bush the devil and an alcoholic. The U.S. government has warned that Chavez is a destabilizing force in Latin America.

7-Eleven spokesman Margaret Chabris said that, "Regardless of politics, we sympathize with many Americans' concern over derogatory comments about our country and its leadership recently made by Venezuela's president Hugo Chavez."

Chabris said a boycott of Citgo gasoline would hurt the 4,000 employees of the U.S. subsidiary, who have no connection to Venezuela.

7-Eleven had been considering creating its own brand of fuel since at least early last year. Company officials said at the time they had spoken with independent fuel distributors.

SOURCE

Good, but it's a symbolic guesture only. Someone else will buy the oil from them.