FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Medieval reenactment?

meet in rio
Has anyone done this before? There's a society here at uni called 'The Shire of Caer Caledon' and I think I might like to join. The concept of a persona isn't totally foreign to me, as I have done play-by-post role-playing games before, but I don't know quite where to start with setting up a character and how I'll get past feeling silly when I introduce myself as 'Isolde' or something.

Are there any websites which helped you as a beginner? How do I get past the 'stage fright' of adopting a new persona? It all just seems so interesting.
damj
I went to a couple of Medieval reenactments (Society for Creative Anachronism). It was fun. Alot of them made their own armour and swords out of rattan. I put on some armor, grabbed a shield and fought a little ... that was hard, but fun
Vrythramax
We have a place in my state called King Arthur's Faire that's just a blast. They are only open for a few weeks a year, but you should see the crowds that show up. Some of the people there take it just a little bit to far though....they even speak in old english and everyone is in costume....it's a riot! Smile
coolclay
Yes look up SCA, Society for Creative Anachronism, they do lots of that sort of thing. I know some people at my college that are members, most of them are the biggest dorks/nerds in the world but hey, if dressing up in old stuff gets you off, then so be it.
BrianElliott0218
coolclay wrote:
Yes look up SCA, Society for Creative Anachronism, they do lots of that sort of thing. I know some people at my college that are members, most of them are the biggest dorks/nerds in the world but hey, if dressing up in old stuff gets you off, then so be it.

From what I understand, you spend a lot of time talking on forums... The folks in the SCA are at least spending time with friends and learning new skills.

So? Who the dork/nerd now? As to the dressing up part, yes, when you're doing re-enactment of historical times, you tend to dress the part. A little history never hurt anyone. We wear armour too, and fight (not like they do at the LARPS though; we use force in our blows and wear armour).

I've been 'playing' in the SCA since 1981, and have learned a lot in the time that I have been in. Some historical, and much about the nature of how to relate to other people. In that regard, it might be good for you CoolClay. Laughing

~Brian Elliott
(In the SCA: Duke Sir Amalric Blackhart)

www.scademo.com
www.sca.org
www.antir.sca.org
www.blackhart.org/household
furtasacra
Fun stuff, if you don't mind getting dirty and hanging out with crazy drunks.

The Society for Creative Anachronism sometimes bills itself as being like the Middle Ages, except people bathe more. Not true. Some of them get into it WAY too much, and don't wash. Let's not go there.

I personally liked the SCA because I met crazy wonderful people who taught me how to:

properly roast a whole suckling pig
fight with a quarterstaff
make jewelry
play a harpsichord

BUT. If you want to hang out with these people, you have to be willing to endure discomfort and potential embarrassment. These folks don't suffer fools gladly, and weaklings not at all.
IceCreamTruck
Hey, I read your original question again after reading all of the silly replies and I want you to know that I have thought about my answer and I'm not just giving you my opinion.

First off you said you were in school. Good, stay in school as it is VERY important for your future. Remember that too many activities can be distracting and you don't want to be up late stitching an outfit or building an armor suit when you should be studying for a final exam.

Remember who you are and get good at controlling your feelings before adding confusion to the mix. Many people use character to act out what they cannot deal with in real life or to express feelings that their parents didn't teach them how to handle... like rage or anger. Or they act a character role because they can't stand the person that they are. KNOW YOURSELF!!! then you can see if acting another role is fun for you or not.

History is awesome!!! Walking through the pages of history in a good book doesn't quite compare to being there. Everyone knows this and it's fun for an entire group to get together and remember how life used to be. I for one believe that these reenactments give modern people a chance to step back in time, but they take the collaboration of many people who are willing to play the part. Sure it's not all accurate as some people will always cheat a little like the fact that "their beer is cold" whereas it would not have been cold 500 years or more ago. It's a give and take, and I actually wanted to attend an event near where I live, but I had to work and wasn't able to go.

Remember to not take on too many things while at school. finish college then if you want to be a medieval Knight go right ahead and build your suit of armor. I'm sure you can find some villain willing to to battle with you, but remember that everyone around you wants the best for your life and you need to make them proud by doing well in school.

Do you dig?
watersoul
Just throw yourself into it I say!
It sounds a right good laugh, and a great escape from real life and studies.
Have fun, but remember who the real you is
Wink
ocalhoun
Don't worry, assuming a new persona is something we do everyday, several times a day. Every time most people get around a new group of people or enter a different situation, they usually switch to a slightly different persona. (The reason people feel uncomfortable in unfamiliar situations is that they don't have a persona already made for the situation.) The only difference here is that the persona you'll assume is more different from the other ones you have than most.

As for historical reenactment, that's great. I'm taking up fencing myself, and that's a whole lot of fun.
DoctorBeaver
If you want to do re-enactment properly, come to the U.K. where we have many groups such as The Sealed Knot (English Civil War) and Regia Anglorum (Vikings, Saxons).

They don't use rattan swords - their weapons are real and you're taught to use them properly. Injuries are not uncommon.

The film Braveheart (although depicting a later era) used many members of Regia as extras for the battle scenes.
unknownc1c
that's interesting. My school had a medieval day thing every once in a while, but that's about it :p haha
BrianElliott0218
DoctorBeaver wrote:
If you want to do re-enactment properly, come to the U.K. where we have many groups such as The Sealed Knot (English Civil War) and Regia Anglorum (Vikings, Saxons).

They don't use rattan swords - their weapons are real and you're taught to use them properly. Injuries are not uncommon.

The film Braveheart (although depicting a later era) used many members of Regia as extras for the battle scenes.

Not everyone can make it to England for the fun of joining a historical group. As to the use of rattan, it allows us a lot of safety while learning the techniques. As a matter of fact, they used wooden batons not too different from the SCA's rattan swords to practice with called "wasters". It's better to waste the rattan than a good finger or two due to making a mistake. Injuries are uncommon in SCA fighting, and we get to use full force and speed. I feel it is a superior learning style (as I'm sure you feel those practicing with rebated blades feel that's a superior method).

I would love to match my skill of 25+ years with rattan wasters against a real sword enthusiast. I am certain both would learn a lot about the skills we are both pursuing.

~BE