FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

a linux based OS for an old computer

drag0n
600 mhz , 192mb ram, 20gb of free space

As you can see this isn't a top configuration so what distribution should i use so it would function normally with my computer? I dont want lag like i have with windows XP, i tried ubuntu but it was kinda slow, slax was kind of cool but it's primary a live distribution... i am free to suggestions
ocalhoun
Use any distro you want, just be carefull what window manager to use.
(I don't know about the others, but SuSE linux gives you an excelent selection of WM's.)
For that machine, out of the ones I have experience with, I'd suggest windowmaker, which is a very nice gui, but very lightweight. (it is designed for people who make use of the command line, though. If you want 0 command line usage, I'd suggest either gnome or eligtenment either one configured to use few resources.)

By all means stay away from KDE, and you should be fine.
{name here}
KDE, & GNOME are your enemies in this case so don't use 'em. Use Fluxbox, Enlightenment, XFCE, etc. I really reccommend Fluxbox. The menus need to be modified from a text editor when you add something, but it looks quite good.
JayBee
or use KDE but not the newest version (version 2.x or 1.x)
but
{name here} wrote:
Fluxbox

seems to be better for you

(or w9wm, but you will not love it as me Very Happy )
simplyw00x
Xubuntu is a nicely-integrated XFCE4 solution that should run well on thpose specs.
Animal
This Existing Thread is extremely relevant to your current topic. Please search before posting.

-close-