FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best DVD Player (best=all functionality you need AND pay les

marioflory
Hey guys..

I just wanted to let you know about my own research I did on DVD Players.

I just shopped around for a DVD Player.

My criterias were:
    MUST be CODEFREE (no region code)
    MUST play DivX (normally only PC can do that)
    MUST play SVCD
    MUST play VCD
    MUST play AudioCD

The best offer I got for a DVX 640 from SEG.
I purchased it in switzerland (I live here) at the shopping chain MIGROS. They offer 2 years warranty!!
Oh yeah, I paid 69 swiss francs, that is around 55 USD.

So far the device works flawlessly.
RT Cunningham
Good for you. I'm in the Philippines and the choices are limited. I did spot one on the old Navy base at their duty-free store that plays everything. It runs about $40 USD. It doesn't do me any good right now because I don't even have a TV yet.

I play my DVD's on my laptop at night using PowerDVD. Of course, I ripped and burned all of them to be region free first (and to remove everything but the movies themselves).

It's amazing but I think the non-U.S. models of DVD players have more features than the U.S. models. The ones I saw did not play DivX and most did not even play VCD's.
Bones
I'm in Canada, so I assume that most of our DVD players are the same as the US. Most of the players here do not play DivX (though some do) but I have never seen (that I recall) a dvd player here that does not play VCD.

I own a Koss KS5121-2 DivX player and it works great! Plays anything I have thrown at it so far (including S/VCD, MP3, DVD, DivX, XviD)
It even has a memory card reader on it
dbuchmann
Apex DVD players that you can find at Wal-Mart are usually pretty good about playing burned media. Even before VCDs were really mainstream I had a cheap Apex and it would play almost anything I put in it excepting mp3s.

-David-