FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Believe or not. 100$ laptop

blue77
Well, here's the good news - MIT Media Labs are currently developing a $100 laptop. The bad news is that they're only available to deserving children under the auspices of certain NGOs and charitable organisations.

The current plan is to offer a 500 Mhz processor with a 1 GB Flash drive for storage. It will run a Linux-based OS designed to function minimally. The three amazing things that I found about this were:

1. Integrated Wi-Fi access

2. A colour LCD display which switches to Black & White mode when used outdoors to conserve energy ( That's something larger vendors ought to think about, IMHO )

3. This is what I want on my notebook too - a hand crank to power the machine! They claim 1 minute of cranking will generate enough energy to keep the machine working for 10 mins. Not too shabby - build up your biceps and surf the net at the same time...

A new peer to peer mesh networking system will also allow these machines to interface with each other without the help of any other routers or hubs. Very cool.

I just wish I could get my hands on one even if it were just for testing Very Happy
LukeakaDanish
Source?

Very interesting idea - they need to be able to access the internet to be any good though...

Smile
RT Cunningham
Well, I don't remember if they come with a modem or not, but if they do then they can use dial-up just like me. Broadband is not available in the neighborhood I live in.

I've seen the pictures. It's a dorky-looking thing, but looks totally like something I would use if I could, if only to get away from using a battery for power.

I believe the laptops are actually around $115 now. If they sell for $100 or less, they operate at a loss. Of course, I could be wrong (and I usually am).
psycosquirrel
This is old news, a laptop like this has been in development for quite a while.

They plan on using a wierd ad-hoc wireless system so everyone in developing countries can get internet through each other (think of the network as a chain, each computer makes up a link in the chain and one end computer is connected through the internet. The computer at the end of the chain connects through every computer before it, and so on). Dial up is out of the question, as many of the places they are supposed to be implemented don't even have phones.

The computer will be very, very low-end. We are talking internet, email, and text-editing ONLY. They would not be good for anyone who has used a decent computer before...
LukeakaDanish
psycosquirrel wrote:
They would not be good for anyone who has used a decent computer before...

Of course they wouldnt...but...they would still be able to play games (if the specs posted at the top are correct) - just not 2006 games...more like 1995 games...some of which are actually quite fun Smile - especially if you havent played a pc before...
Vanilla Crazy
I want it. The precious.
megalania
Wow, that actually sounds really cool. I need a laptop and wireless would be nice. Also, considering the laptop I am saving up for costs $1700, getting one for $100 that doesnt require electricity (so I could use it at cross country meets) would be really really cool.
Jaan
ages old bro!!! i heard bout this 2 years ago!!!
it is pretty intersting though, and nearing completion for the "one laptop per child" project thingymajiggy.
gelid
Me two , the thing looks kinda cool as well. There was a film call the PC99 or something about making a fully working pc for $99- it was a real nerds film but i really wanna c it again. anyone remember what it was called i really wanna know ?
william
This is old. That laptop is OK, but of course, not good. About the only thing I like about it is it's price and that you can charge it whenever you want. It's nice that you can check your email and write a text document anytime and anywhere. The wireless system seems cool, though I don't know how well it will work. Anyway, I probably won't buy it as it can't be used for photos, music, video, definitely not gaming (except for maybe pong and some others Laughing ) and a lot of other tasks. Though, it could be a good travel companion. Very Happy
LukeakaDanish
william wrote:
...Anyway, I probably won't buy it as it can't be used for photos, music, video, definitely not gaming (except for maybe pong and some others Laughing ) and a lot of other tasks. Though, it could be a good travel companion. Very Happy

Hm...I dont think you where meant to be the person buying it anyway - the whole project is centered on making sure everyone has access to a computer - meaning that this is for poor african people and the likes.
william
LukeakaDanish wrote:
william wrote:
...Anyway, I probably won't buy it as it can't be used for photos, music, video, definitely not gaming (except for maybe pong and some others Laughing ) and a lot of other tasks. Though, it could be a good travel companion. Very Happy

Hm...I dont think you where meant to be the person buying it anyway - the whole project is centered on making sure everyone has access to a computer - meaning that this is for poor african people and the likes.

True. Very Happy Yeah, the project is centered on making sure everyone has access to a computer. Still, I think some people may buy it anyway. (Considering the fact that you can charge it without plugging it in.)
LukeakaDanish
william wrote:
Still, I think some people may buy it anyway.

Of course - I cant say that I wouldnt be interested in one myself if it came to that, and I had the spare cash in hand Smile
TheGeek
Yea, this is really really old news lol...iv been following this story loosely for almost a year now...

however, this is a very very neat idea.

Quote:
the generation-one machine’s core electronics begin with the 400Mhz AMD Geode processor. There are 128MB of dynamic RAM and 512MB of SLC NAND flash memory on board. The basic integrated operating system is a “skinny” Fedora distribution of Linux.

here is the exact source for those who are either skeptical or want to know more.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/The_Children%27s_Machine
LukeakaDanish
Thanks for the link TheGeek Smile

On a side note:
There is no need for anymore "this is old news" posts in this topic - please refrain from posting them - I will report you and you will be given a warning from the mods.
william
TheGeek wrote:
Yea, this is really really old news lol...iv been following this story loosely for almost a year now...

however, this is a very very neat idea.

Quote:
the generation-one machine’s core electronics begin with the 400Mhz AMD Geode processor. There are 128MB of dynamic RAM and 512MB of SLC NAND flash memory on board. The basic integrated operating system is a “skinny” Fedora distribution of Linux.

here is the exact source for those who are either skeptical or want to know more.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/The_Children%27s_Machine

It's funny that my first computers, at that time, were priced well over $1000 and they're far inferior to this laptop in terms of performance. Very Happy For $100, those are actually some decent features. I see that they used flash drives instead of hard drives (since flash drives are both fast and require much less electricity than hard drives). Though, one nice feature is the many forms you can use the laptop; an example would be this one:

or

..and there are others.

Though there is one thing I'm not sure about. Does this laptop have an optical drive? I know it has an SD slot, but I think that's it.
TheGeek
No it does not look like the current version has an optical drive, probably for much the same reason as why it has no HDD, to much energy consumption. However, it does have USB ports on the sides (hidden as seen in the picture below, which is neat). So i would think you could hook up an external USB one if you so pleased.

I really hope this thing has a wall adapter as well as the hand crank so that if your lazy like I am you dont have to be cranking all the time. I also wonder what the battery life for that thing is like if you charge it VIA wall connector like a normal laptop...

(click for larger image)
bambholebaba
As for the cost, it is not so surprising! but I have heard for the first time about the manitor turning b&w from color ! it not only save the power, but will give better viewing experience without concidering the direction of light !