FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to password protect windows directories?

dickyzin
How can I password protect Window's files and folders? Is there any other way besides zipping the folder and putting a password on the zip? Is there a way to make windows request for a password when you try to access a password protected folder?
Jaan
Login as administrator in safe mode (f8 at startup). Then go to the folder you want to protect/limit access, right click, and go properties, then security settings tab, and edit permissions. Then edit who you want to view/read/write/etc and apply, then press apply and only the users you added/selected will be able to access that folder. The only way to remove this, is to login as admin in safe mode again, so this is quite safe.
Cheers.
dickyzin
Will this work if I use it on the folders inside my external hard drive?
cruzo
I suppost Your External HD is a USB HD connected and is not going to work.
vignesh_natraj
i have heard that it even supports a USB drive
Jaan
I don't think so. What would happen if you changed pcs? No, it won't work on a USB drive. I don't think there is any feature in Windows that lets you password protect folders. Maybe the encrypt function, mabye some apps will do it, but nothing in XP.
kansloos
should be noted that this administrator password should be over 14chars,
else it can be cracked with ease.

you can also turn off the LM-Hash and use a shorter password, still
long password is recommended
dickyzin
Well then, any good applications that can password protect the folders? Something lightweight and portable would be nice.
pudovkin
I believe a per-folder password would be nice thing, independent from a XP account password (however, the feature of a folder be accessed only from a specific account/group and a specific password could be a good idea).
yjwong
Only Windows XP Professional (Logged in as a Local Administrator) can edit per-folder permissions. You will not be able to set per-folder permissions on a drive flagged as REMOVABLE_DISK by the operating system. You can only set per-folder permissions on a drive flagged as FIXED_DISK.
rafifaisal
Jaan wrote:
I don't think so. What would happen if you changed pcs? No, it won't work on a USB drive. I don't think there is any feature in Windows that lets you password protect folders. Maybe the encrypt function, mabye some apps will do it, but nothing in XP.

Hi Jaan,
Just off the topic: I visited your site. Cool man. I like the trick with the coke machine. Cool
Surely this doesn't work with all type of coke machines.
Jaan
rafifaisal wrote:
Jaan wrote:

Hi Jaan,
Just off the topic: I visited your site. Cool man. I like the trick with the coke machine. Cool
Surely this doesn't work with all type of coke machines.

lol the new one does Wink though don't try it. naughty naughty.
Bones
yjwong wrote:
Only Windows XP Professional (Logged in as a Local Administrator) can edit per-folder permissions. You will not be able to set per-folder permissions on a drive flagged as REMOVABLE_DISK by the operating system. You can only set per-folder permissions on a drive flagged as FIXED_DISK.

Not quite true. You can also edit permissions in XP Home by first restarting in Safe mode. In Pro you can edit them in normal mode from any admin account (as you said above)

The reason that most removable drives will not set permissions, is because of the file system. Floppy drives use the FAT file system, and CD's use CDFS. In order to support file permissions in Windows, the file system MUST be NTFS.

The problem with setting permissions on a USB drive, is that if you move it to another computer, that user no longer exists. Even if you use the same account name on the second PC, the user SSID will be different, so the pc will see it as a different user.
turbosquid
O.k. heres a breif and hopefuly straight forward description of how it you can protect files and folders within windows XP. i'm using XP professional so am not sure if these exact features are available in XP Home Edition.

PART 1>

As default windows XP has 'Simple File Sharing' enabled this prevents the more advanced folder 'Security' options from being displayed. Follow these steps (if you haven't allready done so) :-

1> Open 'My Computer' click 'tools' menu choose 'Folder Options'
2> Click the 'View' tab scroll down the list to the bottom uncheck 'Use simple file sharing'
3> Click 'ok'

4> Choose the folder(s) which you wish to make private, right click and select 'properties' click the 'security' tab.

You will see a list of groups / users. You can add and remove users from this list depending on who you want to give access to.
You can also select a users access 'permissions' in the window bellow.
But be carful i wouldn't advise altering any of the permisions for any of windows system folders or you could end up locking your OS when you reboot.

You will need to be logged on with administrative privilages to alter these settings, also be sure that you keep the 'administrator' group in the groups / users window otherwise you could lock yourself out.

PART 2>

Ok, if you wish to make a folder private for the current user eg. if you only have one user account on your pc.
You could choose to hide the folder although this dosn't offer much protection.

To hide a folder right click the folder choose 'Properties', check the 'Hidden' box.

Secondly for more protection you could use a third party app. such as BestCrypt http://www.jetico.com/
this will allow you to create a virtual encrypted harddrive which you can mount and dismount when required.

You could also try MagicFolders http://www.pc-magic.com/ it will hide folders from prying eyes, i have used this back in the win9x days and it was simple but effective. havent tried this version though.

There are probably also loads of other applications out there that will alow to accomplish what you want.

Hope this helps you out.
wsco
u can use application like
microsoft private folder
it is not bad
redice
I use microsoft private folder, It just work for me.
internetjobs
u want to take care in this... i used one third party software for hide my folder. i foregot my password, and i uninstaleld that software, now i am not able to take that folder...
dickyzin
I guess it's best to just zip the whole folder with a password.
Teddy1
There is encryption software that allow you to password protect directories Smile, WinXP manager from yamicsoft being one of them and i believe Stardock also released similar software too. Smile
the zephyrus
http://www.truecrypt.org/

If you have Windows XP Home Edition like me, the option to encrypt a folder natively is not available. And even if it were, it wouldn't be that great for portability reasons. So, I recommend the above software called TrueCrypt. TrueCrypt doesn't encrypt a folder so to speak, instead, it stores data in a file and then tells your computer to behave with the file as if it were its own disk. So you get a whole new drive, you set the size, and can choose to encrypt it with one of several algorithms.

Oh, and IT'S FREE.
mogchr
Aww cool. I have XP Home on every single one of my computers, and I have been trying to figure out how to do that for a long long time. Silly Microsoft, I remember the days when one Windows version did it all...ahh, those memories are far from real now.