FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Do kids think the same way as adults?





masquerade
This has been on my mind for a while really. I just thought I would get an opinion from a mixed age group because it's begun to really bug me. I'm 14 going on 15 in Jan and what really annoys me is that I feel like I'm around 24 going on 25. In school teachers yell at us because we're children and therefore inferior right? I mean these teachers don't sit in the teachers lounge and yell at each other if one of them isn't doing what they want to.

When I say all this most people thing I'm a rebellious teenager who just won't do anything because adults are telling me to, but I'm not. I'm the quiet one who works hard and gets average grades, but it makes me really sick sometimes that teachers/adults in general won't treat us like equals.

I think it's a kind of mental puberty that some people hit before others do. There are those in the class that think that being grown up is all about having a boy-friend and staying up late and watching 18 movies. Then there are others who suddenly feel that their mental capacity has expanded and changed, and this can happen at nearly any given time.

Teachers shout at teenagers to get them to listen they tell us to act like grown ups and then yell at us like we're five year olds. When I tried to explain this to my mum says that 'kids brains don't work the same way adults do' and the only reason she says that is because she's looking at it from the other end of the spectrum. I'm not a rebellious teenager I just don't understand why adults feel the need to treat us like we're lesser than them. They say wisdom comes with experience, but I'm willing to bet that this sixteen year old girl who I know has been through a lot more than most of them. So shouldn't she be considered as wiser than them?

It doesn't make sense to me, they say we're rowdy they say that people in university and jobs aren't like that. They sit through their lectures quietly but that's only because they're not forced to be there. If teenagers weren't forced to go to school there would be some who wouldn't go, but others like me who actually want to learn and would go because of that.

I don't know really I just hate being told I'm wrong because I'm not an adult. I know I'm intelligent and it just annoys me that because I'm only 14 people won't take my opinions seriously. Does anyone else feel the same? Has anyone else been in that situation and now that they're grown up can they understand me? Or do they now agree with the adults on this subject?
dimpim
I mostly agree with you.

I sometimes found myself in the same situation that you are, and I perfectly know how irritating that might be. I'm 18 now, but when I was younger a lot of people kept repeating me that "This is right 'cause I tell you so; when you'll be older you'll understand". Well, I'm older now, and lots of the things that I thought wrong a decade ago still seem wrong to me now.
I don't think this is because I'm as stupid and ignorant as 10 years ago (friends, classmates and professors almost always considered my opinion of some importance during discussions), and I also don't think that I'm the only intelligent person on this planet; but I do think that most adults are used to do what they do without thinking enough if there is a better way to do it.

So it happens that some smart young guy, used to objective and rational thinking, doesn't understand what the hell they're talking about and refuse to cooperate.

I dont' think that children's and adults' brain work differently from each other (at least for this kind of things), but simply they take different things into consideration. Adults have more experience than children, sure.
But having more experience sometimes is not enough.
feliciafans
You know, sooner or later, in a certain point of your life, you'll have start making your own decisions. We all have to grow up, and start taking our own initiatives.

It reminds me of principal Skinner in the simpson. Man I adore that dude. Those who wanna grow up; the first step is to start taking responsibility. Another important thing is self confidence. You have believe yourself in order to be a better person. Don't hide your feelings, and don't be afraid of saying the wrong stuff.
nathanuk
I personally find this topic to be Very truthfull. In ways teens/kids are better then adults and in ways we are not. You will know that teens/kids are not as physicaly devolped as adults but we do learn alot easier. A few years back when i was learning guitar for the first time my dad started to learn about a year after and i used to teach him things that are really really simple and it would take him a day to learn practise and remember but it would take me 15-20mins to learn the whole song. But does that mean we are smarter then adults? i rember two years ago when i was at secondry school(high school in america) my music teacher would always say their are people who know then him but he is there to guide us. Adults stereo type children as immature kids, when alot of children are very mature. The school situation is correct and i agree there are teens who cant take it seriously and dont want to be there, then there is those who want to learn and want to progress in life. If you where given the choice to go to school it would be a much happier place for kids/teens. If you want to be somewhere or you want to do somthing you take it alot more seriously, like im finding at collage the teachers do not shout becuase every person who is in that class wants to be there and they want to learn. If people think adults are more mature then children then what do they think about school drop outs and alchaholics(sorry for spelling) who have basicaly failed at life. This type of age discrimination can be compared to racism. Becuase your from a differnt country people are either scared of them or hate them, even though they are people just like themselvess. Just because a person is younger they automaticaly think they are going to act stupid and immature. I feel your pain and anybody who thinks kids/teens are all immature are infact the stupid ones.
woundedhealer
Here are some of my random thoughts on the subject. Smile

I think you should tell these adults to give you the same respect as they expect you to give them.

Children and adults definately think differently. They have different priorities, they see things from different angles.

Children do reach a mental and emotional puperty at different different ages. Some can reach it at 14 while others may not reach it until they are grown up.

I'm grown up now and I try very hard not to be disrectful to children. The problem is there are children and adults who know how to act properly, and others who don't. When it comes to children, you are unfortunately all tarred with the same brush. Teachers today have it tough. They are supposed to teach, pass on their knowledge, but they have to waste a lot of time on those who do not wish to learn. They get frustrated and end up yelling and not listening.

This may be going off topic for a moment. I think the UK problem is that children start formal learning at too young an age. They do not get the chance to learn how to interact with their peers and teachers. Teachers do not get the chance to find out which children need help to socialise.

Children should be treated with respect, but they should also have respect for others.
CompactHaven
First I'd like to say I have a 14 year old sister.
You seem pretty intelligent, and you have good grammar. While I'm only 18, I can see a difference between adults and kids, but then again, many adults act like kids. You still have the immature adults. You still have the adults who don't know when to shut up, or how to stop being bullies. I think it's just a social experience thing. Generally sense of humor is different. Learning capacity might be different, but I think that's experience related too. I believe that, the most part (and liberal scientists would argue), brains are the same.
People often argue that a 14 year old doesn't know better than to bring a gun to school and shoot people. That's just an example of you 'out of it' many adults have become. They think young people are clueless.
GamingParadise
Look you always have differents with older people and younger people, because they have been raised different, be honest in the last years alot have been changed with the attitude of people.
Older people now think they know more then us(Younger ones)
But thats not always true, they act different and they dont always threat us like equals asthey should do!
NewGuyinTown
masquerade wrote:
This has been on my mind for a while really. I just thought I would get an opinion from a mixed age group because it's begun to really bug me. I'm 14 going on 15 in Jan and what really annoys me is that I feel like I'm around 24 going on 25. In school teachers yell at us because we're children and therefore inferior right? I mean these teachers don't sit in the teachers lounge and yell at each other if one of them isn't doing what they want to.

When I say all this most people thing I'm a rebellious teenager who just won't do anything because adults are telling me to, but I'm not. I'm the quiet one who works hard and gets average grades, but it makes me really sick sometimes that teachers/adults in general won't treat us like equals.

I think it's a kind of mental puberty that some people hit before others do. There are those in the class that think that being grown up is all about having a boy-friend and staying up late and watching 18 movies. Then there are others who suddenly feel that their mental capacity has expanded and changed, and this can happen at nearly any given time.

Teachers shout at teenagers to get them to listen they tell us to act like grown ups and then yell at us like we're five year olds. When I tried to explain this to my mum says that 'kids brains don't work the same way adults do' and the only reason she says that is because she's looking at it from the other end of the spectrum. I'm not a rebellious teenager I just don't understand why adults feel the need to treat us like we're lesser than them. They say wisdom comes with experience, but I'm willing to bet that this sixteen year old girl who I know has been through a lot more than most of them. So shouldn't she be considered as wiser than them?

It doesn't make sense to me, they say we're rowdy they say that people in university and jobs aren't like that. They sit through their lectures quietly but that's only because they're not forced to be there. If teenagers weren't forced to go to school there would be some who wouldn't go, but others like me who actually want to learn and would go because of that.

I don't know really I just hate being told I'm wrong because I'm not an adult. I know I'm intelligent and it just annoys me that because I'm only 14 people won't take my opinions seriously. Does anyone else feel the same? Has anyone else been in that situation and now that they're grown up can they understand me? Or do they now agree with the adults on this subject?


Not really... Most teenagers here are perverts. Perverts are not I expected an adult to be like... or at least not so be opened at such vulgar and inappropriate things.

Age is life experience, it does not mean they are correct and superior.

I don't think teachers would yell at students if they acted matured and did not aggravated him. If they treated students like adults. They would kick you out of class for being immature.

My Belief:
The teachers yell at you if you only misbehaved. If everyone have out a writing utensil and papers to take notes and waiting for him to give his lecture, he wouldn't yell at you guys.
Darkfall
Being 18 now, I'd have to say it's been hard... but you always pull through it.

Just think in 3 years you can drink, drive and smoke... unless you live in the US. Razz
woundedhealer
Quote:
Not really... Most teenagers here are perverts

Teenagers perverts? I'm glad I don't live near you. There are, unfortunately, a lot of adult perverts about today, so you can't use that as way of discriminating between teenagers and adults.
jrs32
woundedhealer wrote:
Here are some of my random thoughts on the subject. Smile

I think you should tell these adults to give you the same respect as they expect you to give them.

Children and adults definately think differently. They have different priorities, they see things from different angles.

Children do reach a mental and emotional puperty at different different ages. Some can reach it at 14 while others may not reach it until they are grown up.

I'm grown up now and I try very hard not to be disrectful to children. The problem is there are children and adults who know how to act properly, and others who don't. When it comes to children, you are unfortunately all tarred with the same brush. Teachers today have it tough. They are supposed to teach, pass on their knowledge, but they have to waste a lot of time on those who do not wish to learn. They get frustrated and end up yelling and not listening.

This may be going off topic for a moment. I think the UK problem is that children start formal learning at too young an age. They do not get the chance to learn how to interact with their peers and teachers. Teachers do not get the chance to find out which children need help to socialise.

Children should be treated with respect, but they should also have respect for others.



I completely agree, 100%.
Vanilla Crazy
I always talk REALLY condescending to adults that think that I am not really doing what I should be doing as a 16 year ol. I pretend I have to baby them. They dislike it, but don't do anything about it. If they treat me like an equal, I will do the same.
Liu
In short to your topic, no, no they don't.

Most people that are younger, say 14-16 are most likely still living under their parents roof. They haven't seen the "real" world. A person's thinking is mostly based on how much experience a person has gone through, and well, at your age, chances are you haven't seen much.

It sounds like you just want to be recognized at your age, most teenagers go through that stage. Heck, I did when I was your age. Now at 21, when I look back at myself then, it feels like i've matured a ton since then. And i'm sure another few years down the line it'll be the same.
Soulfire
The basic trend is that during early childhood and into adolescence, thinking tends to be concrete and exact. But as you emerge into adolescence and adulthood, more abstract ideas start entering your head. You account for "gray" areas, not everything is black and white anymore.

Of course, I'm sure there are many kids that think much better than many adults as well - one statement can't be said for everyone.
psycosquirrel
I used to think the same way as masquerade, but now that I am a bit older, I realize that it was very naieve of me to think I was grownup at an age of 15. Right now, I am 18 and still regard myself as a child in the fact that I have not yet experienced enough in life to know how to make every major decision on my own. You are never truely finished growing mentally until you... well, die. There is much more to being an adult than just acting mature, and even though people like you are probably much more mature than your fellow students, you are still a face the teacher sees in the crowd as a "rowdy adolescent." Just enjoy your high school while it lasts; life will get a lot harder if you go to a good college.
HoboPelican
I haven't a clue. I am an old codger, but I honestly think my thought processes are quite similar to what they were in my teens. The only difference is that now I have more info to throw into the thought process. Oh, and I have to take into account that I don't heal as quickly Laughing

Something that I've thought about as the years went by, is my friends seem to change quite a bit when they had kids ( I never had young-uns). Something about having the responsibility of taking care of another life seemed to change them. A sense of responsiblity, a need to control things more, a big change in priorities. Maybe it isnt age as much as having kids that changes us.


Just my 3 cents.
Ghost Rider103
nathanuk wrote:
I personally find this topic to be Very truthfull. In ways teens/kids are better then adults and in ways we are not. You will know that teens/kids are not as physicaly devolped as adults but we do learn alot easier. A few years back when i was learning guitar for the first time my dad started to learn about a year after and i used to teach him things that are really really simple and it would take him a day to learn practise and remember but it would take me 15-20mins to learn the whole song. But does that mean we are smarter then adults? i rember two years ago when i was at secondry school(high school in america) my music teacher would always say their are people who know then him but he is there to guide us. Adults stereo type children as immature kids, when alot of children are very mature. The school situation is correct and i agree there are teens who cant take it seriously and dont want to be there, then there is those who want to learn and want to progress in life. If you where given the choice to go to school it would be a much happier place for kids/teens. If you want to be somewhere or you want to do somthing you take it alot more seriously, like im finding at collage the teachers do not shout becuase every person who is in that class wants to be there and they want to learn. If people think adults are more mature then children then what do they think about school drop outs and alchaholics(sorry for spelling) who have basicaly failed at life. This type of age discrimination can be compared to racism. Becuase your from a differnt country people are either scared of them or hate them, even though they are people just like themselvess. Just because a person is younger they automaticaly think they are going to act stupid and immature. I feel your pain and anybody who thinks kids/teens are all immature are infact the stupid ones.


This isn't exactly the right way to put this, I agree with you on most of it, but I had to point out the part where you are wrong.

Just because somone drops out of school DOES NOT mean that you have failed in life. As everyone knows a lot of the stuff you learn in school from 6th. 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th is almost all forgotten, but in some cases, all that stuff is remeberd, and the other is forgotten.

It all depends on what you choose to do in life, becoming a scientist, then you will remeber the stuff that average people forgoet in school because you need it.

In other cases, dropping out can save some time, like you drop out when you turn 16, then you have a full time job, your friends dont get a full time job until they are out of school when there 18/19 and most of those people that get their full time job at w/e age forget a load of the stuff they were teached in school.

So all I am saying is if you drop out when you are 16 dosent mean you have failed, you can still take a G.E.D. and thats the same thing as a deploma, and then you can be making the same living as your friends that got their full tie job at 18/19, but you will be a few years ahead of them in your career.

Sorry if anyone already pointed this out, but I dindt feel like reading anything else on here.
jabapyth
people think about their elders differently than they think about their peers, and differently than they think about their "youngers".
if you're younger than I am you're therefore inferior, less intelligent, etc.
But if your older than/same age as i, then you are respected (to some extent)--i dont have the advantage of age.

also, kids are often immature. Not saying that adults are'nt, it's just more noticable and widely accepted.
sibbahz
It really depends. Some people are a lot more mentally mature than others.

As for the when your older you will understand thing, most of the things i was told that for are exactly the same now. (im now 1Cool
RNTEACHER
Teachers don't treat you equaly simply bcz u are not equal. their are the teeachers. u r the student. you dont have the same rules. it got nothing to do with age or agism.

but that was not the subject. kids and adults are not the same in ragarding neither the way their minds work, nor the exreriances they had in life.

I am 27. a teacher of hebrew litrature (in Israel), and a gardian of a 17yo girl, my wife's cusin, who lives with us. I see how teens act and think on a daily bases. and while their minds are sometimes more free and accepting than mine, they still in for a great deal of guidance in life.
the front part of ur brain keeps growin until ur early 20s. then it starts to decompose... but that's another issue. this part of the brain is in charge of the way you deal with other people and with ir surrounding in general. that's why kids needs adults. to guide them on a daily bases. on top of that, it is only logic that I as a 27yo gone throu more in life than a 17yo. it doesnt have to be the case, but it usually is.

I will never think I know more in the field of life than a 50yo. True, my mind in fresher, I see things more openly, and maybe a 17yo sees them even more openly. still, being open minded isn't everything. age matters.
kerouac
I am 43, I have seen the way kids think change dramatically over the last 15 years, and part of this is the huge influx of new technology, new ways of doing things. Whereas 15 years ago kids would call each other on their folk's housephone or a coinbox, now they have a celphone, that they can also send email from. Games ceased to be loading a tape up and become online multinational experiences. Even ordering a pizza can be done online. So they come to accept that everything they need or do can be gotten from the internet, and as a result the traditional methods of communication such as youth clubs fall into disuse.
izcool
I agree with the author of this thread 100%.

I'm 17, and I felt that way a lot over my past few years of being in school.

This year I've gotten some pretty good teachers, with an exception for one of them (whom I hate by the way, my gym teacher), and I enjoy being around them for the most part.

If I were a teacher, I would be quite leaniant on a lot of things because I don't want anyone to be hating my guts. I want to be recognized as one of the cool teachers around who sees things through their eyes. It's not that I want to become a teacher when I get older, but if I were, I would do that.

I don't believe that there is one wise old man that knows everything, and has to give lectures to "youngsters" about how to go about daily life. What they probably don't realize is that the times have certainly changed since they were growing up. Today you have to be very up-to-date with the technology, as using a payphone is just social suicide. Cellphones are the way to go, and beepers/pagers are OUT. Who uses them any longer ? They're cheap enough now where you can buy them at Walmart and such, pre-pay phones. When I get my own place, I'm going to forget the landline phone and just use my cellphone, as there's no reason to have 2 numbers and pay 2 bills. I've even seen it at Circuit City where they sell cordless phones for your house that hook up to your cellphone through Bluetooth. When it's connected, and when you get a call, it rings on the Bluetooth phone and on your cellphone. That's what I want to get.

This is one of the most popular videos on YouTube right now, where a teacher throws one kids' cellphone on the ground after he answers it. I look down at this teacher and think about how he's being the ignorant one who does such of a childish thing by breaking their phone when he's in the middle of his lecture. What if it was an emergency call ? What if someone in his family died ? I see some legal action against the teacher if that was the case.

Sometimes I feel that us youngsters are sometimes smarter than the older people here on Earth. Look at how technology has evolved over the past 10 years, comparing that to the technology of the past 100 years. There's so much that went on that it's unbelievable.

That's my insight, my 2 pennies.

- Mike.
Liu
izcool wrote:

This is one of the most popular videos on YouTube right now, where a teacher throws one kids' cellphone on the ground after he answers it. I look down at this teacher and think about how he's being the ignorant one who does such of a childish thing by breaking their phone when he's in the middle of his lecture. What if it was an emergency call ? What if someone in his family died ? I see some legal action against the teacher if that was the case.

The chump deserved it. He was INCREDIBLY rude; you simply do not sit and disrespect a guy at the top of his field trying to teach you. Not only are you disturbing the teacher, but you're disturbing others around you. What kind of stupidity does the guy have to do such thing in the front row of the lecture right in front of the professors face nearly? I've sat in many college lectures where people would talk on their cell phones, and just wish someone would throw their stupid phone across the room. This video gave me satisfaction that this professor had the guts to do it. If it was really an emergency, he would've stepped outside or refused to give it to the professor, but he didn't.

You youngsters act like you know everything, but you're still living under your parents roof oblivious to the world outside.
nathanuk
in reply to
Quote:
This is one of the most popular videos on YouTube right now
It may well be one of the most popular but it is fake as you can tell the student takes no action and the teacher says nothing to the kid...


Alot of the videos on you today are fake and cannot be trusted. But some are cool like the guitar ones Very Happy im not going to say much more ive allready posted my views...
varun_dodla
masquerade wrote:
If i have to reply to this then i should say that kids do not always think the same way as adults do. Also it depends on different situations.
I personally feel that in sonme issues kids think much better than adults but in some cases they might not analyze all consequences.
Kids are very sensitive and are very much influenced by the society especially by their family.So if their parents are kind, there are chances for their kids also to be kind, because they learn from their parents. This holds good even in negative situations.
Everytime they might not be influence by their parents.
but one thing is for sure....kids thinking power is much better than adults
Davidgr1200
Masquerade, I would recommend that you save this post somewhere and take it out again in twenty years time and answer your own question! Especially if you become a school teacher.
But looking at your question now: what do you mean by being treated like a child? Try to put yourself into the shoes of a teacher (As I'm not a teacher thsi is not easy for me either). How many pupils would they meet during a day? How many of those pupils are abusive to them? How would you feel if, say, twenty teachers came up to you and shouted at you? How would you react to the 21st one? I would guess that by then you'd have had enough and would shout back at the teacher without even giving the teacher a chance. You'd probably go home and shout at your parents as well. I bet that if you could get all the other pupils to be quiter and nicer to their teachers then most of the teachers would be nice back. (There will always be exceptions of course).
But then again I could be wrong.....
woundedhealer
Quote:
How would you feel if, say, twenty teachers came up to you and shouted at you? How would you react to the 21st one? I would guess that by then you'd have had enough and would shout back at the teacher without even giving the teacher a chance.

You could expect a child to do that, but the teacher is supposed to be the adult and the good child would have every right to be upset at being shouted at.
Quote:
I bet that if you could get all the other pupils to be quiter and nicer to their teachers then most of the teachers would be nice back.

That is not for a child to do, besides which it would be the quickest way for a child to to bullied.
The responsibility of a childs good behaviour lies with the parents and the school. There are schools which have turned bad behaviour around by implementing new rules. This is happening in deprived areas, and the children have got more self pride because of it.
Scoria
I dont know about you, but I belive that this is totally up to the person. People differ to much, so its hard to judge a whole age group when there are so many inviduals. Smile

SIcnerly,
Johan
fromegame
I personally think that children should have respect to adults/parents, but vice versa as well. They should be treated as adults in questions like what's wrong or what's right.

Well, that's my opinion Wink
ArthurBenevicci
I have experienced that at every age, one assumes to be on the same level of thought as everyone else, and thinks himself on a higher level of thought then he was before. This goes on and on, and eventually levels off with old age I think.
egbert
Quote:
I have experienced that at every age, one assumes to be on the same level of thought as everyone else, and thinks himself on a higher level of thought then he was before. This goes on and on, and eventually levels off with old age I think.


Very, very true.




The more you age, the more you are respected. That is the way things usually work and the way things should work.

What really drives me nuts is that my brother, who is two years younger than me, is treated the same way that I am by my parents, and it has always been this way. Sure it's only two years, but this means I'm treated two years younger than I should be.

Anyway, it's nice to meet another, approximately my own age who bothers to take the time to type in proper English, using more or less correct punctuation. There are too few who do that.
Myworldz
Yeah..being teenagers is more fun and good...because we don't need to caring about what those adults talk...and sometimes we don't know what they said at all....
710ths
Speaking as an adult and parent, the answer is no!

The important thing to remember is that parents were children before and know what you are going through, have tried all the tricks themsleves and you are not that different or smarter than them.
GOD13
The older and more mature the child is the more like an adult he/she is.
Kelvin
kids and adults think differently.

But the distance remains on how exposed kids are to the adult world and their surroundings.

I received an interesting mail previously containing an image on a jar. At a glance, the adult will immediately see a sensual act of 2 people. But to the children, they are 'supposed' to see 9 dolphins placed in a position that represents the 'sensual' imagery we adults see.

I wonder how true this is since children are getting more exposed to 'adult' content through the internet and such. Overall, we still think differently.
genchan
Stereotyping! We all go through the phases of life and because we are in different phases we expect people in phases different from us to think differently, not merely in terms of opinion but more in terms of maturity.

So when one meets a child who speaks and act like an adult, it sure is surprising and I have seen it before... and of course vice versa.
Related topics
Advertising and Grafiti: Why one but not the other?
Who sayz cartoons are meant for kids???
Berserk
Great games to play
Are you computer/internet addicted?
Adult Content and Violence in Video Games ??
Nintendo's Revolution
Anyone like to comment on "The Last Exile" anime?
Local Lingo/Sayings and such...
Coding ~ Poetry ?
Kung Fu Panda
how do you like the Lion King I?
Communicating with Our Animal Friends
Interracial Talk
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.