You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you blue collar?

I'm a plumber. It's not the career I would of expected to have; but for the time being, it is what it is. Imo, the experience has definently expanded my outlook on working. It's tough work. Ive spent many days in a trench over my head with no shade, in the nice cool 110 degree weather of a florida summer. Ive spent many days in 135 degree attics for hours on end. The conditions suck. I wont lie to ya. But it has set a benchmark in what I am able to accomplish and endure.

My job involves a lot of face to face time with customers in their own home. Sometimes I wonder how I am being percieved by those I work for. Do they think that I am an intellectually challeged brute; or just "smarter than the average bear," if ya know what I mean?

I do manage to get nice paying side jobs when I'm looking. Between web design, and graphic art projects or installing a waterheater, the plumbing jobs usually pay out the best. Works out well, I can allot my time doing designs for other as a relaxation medium. Wink

What are your experiances in blue collar work?
The quote below from Wiki describes me.

Please Use Quote Tags wrote:
"In the United States, a blue-collar worker is a member of the working class who performs manual labor and earns an hourly wage. Blue-collar workers are distinguished from service workers and from white-collar workers, whose jobs are not considered manual labor. Traditionally, white-collar workers earn an annual salary rather than an hourly wage, although paying white-collar workers by the hour is an increasing practice, especially among independent tech contractors. Blue collar work may be skilled or unskilled, and may involve factory work, building and construction trades, law enforcement, mechanical work, maintenance or technical installations. The white-collar worker, by contrast, performs non-manual labor often in an office; and the service industry worker performs non-manual labor involving customer interaction, entertainment, retail and outside sales, and the like. Some service industry workers differ as they perform tasks that are mostly unskilled in the service sector. [1]

The term blue-collar occasionally carries a stereotype based on historical perspective, but is rarely perceived to be a negative one. The blue-collar worker in the United States is an embodiment of the American mythos of a work ethic and the dignity of labor. [2] Some blue-collar jobs, such as those of janitors and assembly line workers, may carry negative stereotypes from perceptions that they represent minimal ability. Most involve levels of specialized skill that carry no stigma, and are contrarily a source of pride."
I am frm India. Blue collar jobs are seen down upon here. But who cares when u r getting a higher salary than most of the white collar jobs. We are Aircraft Maintenance Engineers, The starting salary is around US $5000 in usa. Neway I feel if u r gettin paid well enuf then wat the heck. Let em say nethin, they r just jelous
It seems that lately the "collar color" of your work has less and less to do with how well you're compensated at work. Based on that, the "collar color" shouldn't carry any type of stigma with it, as far as one type being better than th eother. I myself am a mechanical engineer, but I know plenty of poeple who make lot more money than I do, at jobs consisting mostly of physical labor.
Is a doctor a blue collar? in china,maybe a doctor is a blue collar because we are so tired for day and night working!!!