FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Vista compitability test !

vignesh_natraj
is there any website or program that will run a Vista compitability test of my computer. Also is there a similar test to test 64 bit ability i use p4 dual core 3.4Ghz processor with EM64T capable.
LukeakaDanish
I downloaded the vista RC1, and with it there is a pc test thing, which detects what hardware is *currently* supported by Vista. - if this is what interest you, you could try doing the same.

- please remember this info is subject to change as vista comes closer to release.

If what you want are the minimum specs, check here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

Hope that helped!
DarkCore
There is a file on the Vista website ( you have to search for it) that you download onto your XP drive and check of what you want to use Vista for. If your hardware meets the requirements it will tell you that, if it dosn;t it will tell you what to do.
Bones
vignesh_natraj wrote:
is there any website or program that will run a Vista compitability test of my computer. Also is there a similar test to test 64 bit ability i use p4 dual core 3.4Ghz processor with EM64T capable.

how much RAM? So far your pc sounds like it will run vista quite well.
If you have 2G ram it would fly.
LukeakaDanish
Bones wrote:
vignesh_natraj wrote:

how much RAM? So far your pc sounds like it will run vista quite well.
If you have 2G ram it would fly.

A clean install (before you start adding programs) is said to take up 330mb RAM. I therefor recomend 768mb+ if you want to run it smoothly

Your pc sounds better than mine, and i'm running the RC without any performance problems whatsoever

(I do however have 1Gb ram)
vignesh_natraj
i have 512MB RAM want to upgrade it and i also plan to buy a graphics card
LukeakaDanish
vignesh_natraj wrote:

512 mb ram would be just about ok...but if you want it to run perfectly, 1 Gb is better.

A rgaphics card isnt that important, however for the glass and flip3d (i tihnks thats what its called) effects, some graphical power might be needed...
Bones
vignesh_natraj wrote:

512M is the minimum for Vista so yes you might want to put a lil more ram in.
As far as video cards go, it really depends on if you game or not. The lowest Video cards that support the Aero interface are an FX5200 for Nvidia and a Radeon 9500 for ATI (you need pixel shading 2.0 for the glass effects)
Chrisjs
DarkCore wrote:
There is a file on the Vista website ( you have to search for it) that you download onto your XP drive and check of what you want to use Vista for. If your hardware meets the requirements it will tell you that, if it dosn;t it will tell you what to do.

It's called the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor RC Wink Took about two minutes on my computer, and went as far as deciding on which version of Vista would be best. Even gives you a task list for everything you need to fix...in my case, my sound card xD.

Before I forget, I better mention the link to the program Razz.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx
vignesh_natraj
thanks downloading it now