FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

macbook pro?

bjwok
hi folks,

would like to hear any thoughts on the 15inch macbook pro from those who actually own one. i am thinking of getting one, and would be keen to hear negatives/positives/stories, whatever you people feel like offering.

i have read a lot about the 'whine' and would be keen to hear fellow fri-ers experience.

so anything, macbook pro goes here!

giddy up

Smile
kiranaghor
Looks like nobody owns it here. Well, I have an iBook G3. Which is great with Mac os X Tiger.
psycosquirrel
One word: Overpriced.
bjwok
another word: ebay
psycosquirrel
Ouch. No warantee on something over $1k. Not a good idea.

On topic (sorry for my prior rudeness, I dislike Mac's overpriced garbage), a friend of mine has a 17" that his parents maxed-out for him. I think it cost a bit over $4k, but he is satisfied with it. He misses his pc though Laughing

If you are set on a Mac (I have given up trying to convince people against mac), then a Macbook Pro is a great option. They are some of the best laptops in the world...
bjwok
not so,

if you buy from an authorized apple reseller, you will still get the same 1 year apple warranty, with the option to upsize it too...

i have recently completed a graphic design diploma, it's mac or nothing for me. WAY too many confusion errors when going to and from the mac at work and college, then to the pc at home. i'm over it. i have been a pc user for 6 years and am happy to be changing.

each to their own i guess...
VidE
Actually, the macbook (non-pro) sounds kinda cool. $1,500, not all that much slower than the pro version. If you are a gamer and need a beefy video card than pro is the way to go.

As a video/motion grafx guy who uses a pc, I'm beig pushed to use a Mac for some projects and with the new intel core duo I can boot either in OS X or Win XP.
bjwok
the macbook (not the pro) seems pretty tame to me actually, 5400 rpm hdd for anything video related and there will be dropped frames...
bjwok
as the new core 2 duo macbook pro's are now on the shelf, i wonder if anyone has one yet and what their thoughts on it are?
Saber
well I got mine on Monday, and its very nice.

Its a 15.4inch 2.16 Core 2 duo, 2gb of ram, 120gb harddrive and 128mb ATI x1600. I wish the graphics were a bit better, but I can deal with it.

Over all Im real pleased with it, nice size, real quite and the theres only two things I dont like about it right now.

A. Not the laptops fult, but I dont have a mouse, and I dont really like track pads.

B. The power cord has a brick, but eh, its a power cord.

if you have any specific questions I'll be happy to answer them,

-saber
silliman
I have a PowerBook G4 17" CPU speed 1 GHz with 1 GB memory which I like very much, particularly for video presentations. However, I have been a PC / Windows user since the days of Windows 95. I have heard from Mac Rumors (http://www.parallels.com/en/news/id,9598 ) that the new PowerBooks with the new Intel 64 bit chip will be able to run Vista, Linux and Tiger OS. Soon, the computing world will only need one computer that can emulate whatever operating system you prefer using. I can’t wait for Santa to come.

If other folks have new information about this release, please share it. For example, I’ve heard that if you want to run Vista on the new PowerBooks that are soon to be released, then you need to purchase the Professional, high end Vista version, NOT the Home addition.
psycosquirrel
bjwok wrote:
the macbook (not the pro) seems pretty tame to me actually, 5400 rpm hdd for anything video related and there will be dropped frames...

upgrade the hard drive, it wouldn't be that much to get a 7200RPM seagate...
teko
well the macbook has recently been updated so it now has the Core 2 Duo chips. Also with BootCamp or Parallels you can also run XP if you wish.

dont own one myself but have been using one on and off belonging to a friend of mine. OS X takes a bit of getting used to, but after while I found it very nice to use.
pseudonem
Macs are nothing short of your normal everyday PC... You could easily install any major os... with a little tweaking...

Save yourself the money and buy a PC... then hack the OS you want to work....
Xeniczone
Quote:
Macs are nothing short of your normal everyday PC... You could easily install any major os... with a little tweaking...

Save yourself the money and buy a PC... then hack the OS you want to work....

Please note that he is telling you to do something illegal by suggesting to install OS X on a pc.

Macs are the best way to go. I have a Powermac and a iMac. and I love them they are great. I have fun playing the origanal quakes and stuff plus just about anything you can get on windows is avalible for mac with a less chance of crashing Wink plus I notice a better connection on a high speed insternet compared to my dads computer because it doesn't have anti-virus software scanning all the ports to insure that it's safe.
pseudonem
Quote:
Please note that he is telling you to do something illegal by suggesting to install OS X on a pc.

Since you CAN buy a copy of OS X... I would Assume that You can install it on any Hardware that you get it to run on...

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/osx-center/software-and-more/?gclid=CIO6lOi2wogCFRN0NAod1h6yLA

[/url][/quote]
Saber
Quote:
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

Thus meaning only on apple computers, otherwise Illegal to install it on any non apple machines.

also ransom side note. While looking through the user agreement, I found this and thought it was amusing.
Quote:
THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

Anyways, like said before, only mac os may legally be used on apple computers.

-saber
bjwok
nice to see a healthy discussion going on here folks!

just want to point out something that a few might have missed:

you can run xp (and vista when it is released) on the new macbook pro (and any intel based mac, which is almost all of them now) with no problem under bottcamp. why you would want to is beyond me. long time pc user, recent mac convert. i work with mac's, and use a pc at home, and am really looking forward to being completely free of the pc for good!

glad i have waited on my purchase however, as the core 2 duo's have just been released and i will be forking out my hard earned in the next few weeks..

and pscho, the 7200rpm is not available on these latest c2d macbook pros, so i guess i will be biting the bullet and getting a 160 5400rpm. i have since learnt that dropped frames are not a problem with these machines...

cheers
silliman
bjwok wrote:
... why you would want to is beyond me.

G’ day bjwok,
I am dying to push the macbook pro to its limit by installing Vista (to be released in January ‘07), Linux and Tiger OS. Why would I want to, you asked? For the following reasons: 1) there is a certain please “cruising” with a different operating system – just like there’s a kick in cruising with different automobiles, 2) if one system get buggered up (e.g., because of viruses, worms, spy ware, or whatever), you can always switch to a different OS and continue the business of the day until you have time to tinker with the buggered up system, and 3) there are applications that I like to use in some OS that are native and unique to that operating system and either not available or don’t work well in others.

That being said, there are probably other reasons why one would load multiple OS on a macbook pro, but it suffices to name a few.
silliman
bjwok wrote:
am really looking forward to being completely free of the pc for good!

Bjwok brings up a good point about being “free of the PC for good.” If the 64 bit Intel chips are universally deployed in the desktop/laptop computing world and if we can now run any operating system we want on this platform, and if Vista is looking more like Apple OS and OS is looking like Windows, are we rid of the PC or has the PC morphed into some hermaphrodite? What shall we call “it?” If the desktop/laptop computing world all falls to the “center,” it could be a field day for the hacks – leaving the computer user with no place to retreat.

I wonder if homogenizing computing hardware leave the individual computer user more vulnerable, to say nothing of leaving each nation exposed to cyber sabotage and cyber warfare.

Electronic banking… Look out!
bjwok
hey silliman, nice points you bring up there champ and i stand educated on a number of fronts.

personally for me, the idea behind the switch to mac is career based as well as "time for a change". being a pc user since 2000 and never needing anything different i was content to continue that way. until i decided to study graphic design! industry standard, smoother running, no virus, sleek, no fuss and power to drool over all sealed the deal.

ok so mac's are expensive, but i have been good and saved for some time and worked hard so i am splurging!

each to there own obviously, but i am looking forward to never touching a pc again!

interesting points you make about the homogenizing of the home computer, i wonder where this all takes us now? media centre computers with massive lcds that double as your tv and computer are the future me thinks... Smile
Xeniczone
Quote:
Since you CAN buy a copy of OS X... I would Assume that You can install it on any Hardware that you get it to run on...

If you would do some research before talking back to a Macintosh User you would know that when you put a Mac OS X install disk into a bios based it will not read because bios based can't read the Mac OS Extended Format. Plus in apples lisence agreement it says you validate the lisence by installing on a biosed based instead of a Apple. So even if you do buy the lisence if you install it on a biosed based according to the lisence agreement you have stolen Mac OS X.

Back on subject.

As far as laptops go. I know the Macbook Pros come in 2 different screen sizes. One is 15 the other is 17. Don't get the 17in they are usally to big and bulky to carry around 15in is pritty perfect. 13 is too small for office use but that isn't a Pro.

I wouldn't buy till Sping next year when they release Leapord Mac OS X. That is what I'm waiting for so I can get me a new Mac Pro instead of this old Powermac. That will also save you some money. So you don't buy your Mac then you have to pay another 100 some dollars to buy the new version of Mac OS.

Proformance is always good but unlike the Power efficent G4 the intels aren't as good at it. So remember the more power you put into it the less you will get out of your battery.

Anyway, I'm not a ibook user but I do have Macintoshes. So I hope this helps with your choosing.
wiehls
VidE wrote:
Actually, the macbook (non-pro) sounds kinda cool. $1,500, not all that much slower than the pro version. If you are a gamer and need a beefy video card than pro is the way to go.

As a video/motion grafx guy who uses a pc, I'm beig pushed to use a Mac for some projects and with the new intel core duo I can boot either in OS X or Win XP.

I agree. And now the macbook also has a core 2 duo. It could hopefully handle some "lighter" gaming

The macbook pro is also pretty cool
bjwok
i agree with you Xeniczone, the 17 is too big, heavy and cumbersome to really be considered as a laptop in my opinion. also, i have a 24inch dell monitor that i will be hooking my macbook pro up to when at home so i don't have a problem!!

i am not going to wait for leopard, waited all year for this, as soon as my bank balance is good for it, i am buying! Smile
bjwok
another concern a fellow workmate has raised is the heat issue with the macbook pro. i was under the impression that the new core 2 duo is a lot cooler than the core duo models, but wonder if anyone can confirm this?

cheers,
Saber
Well I have the core 2 duo and I'll put it this way, running basic things yes its very cool. But when doing heavy cpu or graphics work it heats up fast. But I would say that it still is cooler than the core duo that I tried.
bjwok
thanks saber. point is noted. how about any whirring noises? i remember hearing reports of weird noises coming from the hard drive area on the core duo's
Saber
So far there are limited amounts of noises that I have heard my laptop make.
1.For some reason when I have somethings plugged into the left usb plug and run iMovie, it makes a awful noise, it makes me and anyone else in the area jump.

2.The CD drive when ever you un-sleep it or eject/insert the cd it makes that crunching noise, I wish there was a way to get around that, but I guess for the hight of the drive, there isn't much to work with.

3.When really running my laptop the two fans may kick in, they have different levels of speeds, some understand able but others seem really loud.

Normally the fan next to the graphics card runs up with loading a lot of game things, aka games. But after it finishes loading it runs quite, I guess the same goes to the other fan for heavy cpu useage, aka compiling video(or what ever).

-saber
TheGeek
Recently, apple has sort of cleaned up their act as far as producing things.

The Ibook G4 was...ok by most standards. However, now that they have started to use non-proprietary parts in their computers (though some still is) you have more options open to you as a Mac user. For starters since it uses an intel processor you can now load any OS on it that you want. Secondly if you are into graphics design, some of their programs are top notch and best of all they come with the computer in some cases.

The only thing that really sets Mac apart for any other computer is that they use a different OS than Windows. Take away that OS and its just an overpriced normal laptop and nothing more.
Kd527
A friend of mine has a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo and it is amazing! It's very fast. It's worth it. In fact we benchmarked it with the result here: http://www.netdesignsonline.com/holocronpro/Holocron%20Pro/Holocron%20Pro%20Labs.html

If you click on more info, it will take you to the Xbench submitted results page for that computer.
bjwok
to the geek:

what was the point of that post mate? we are discussing the specifics of the new macbook pro core 2 duo and you throw in your two cents along the lines of mac vs pc? really out of place and odd too. makes it clear you haven't read the thread and are only posting to clock up points...

go annoy another thread...

thanks kd527, those results are pleasing to say the least, and i am inching ever closer to purchase!
Xeniczone
There is something about Leapord controlling the fans better on the Macbooks so they get more efficent cooling. As far as tiger I don't know. I'm a Mac desktop user. I don't get a laptop till I go to collage then my parnets buy me a MacBook Pro for meself.
bjwok
thanks xeni,

i will be ordering mine next week (after this weeks pay goes through) and will post pics and a initial review once it arrives...

the specs:

macbook pro
2.33ghz
2gb ram
160gb hdd

weep
brycearonium
you will be happy with a macbook pro. Mine is awesome. i have been a pc fanboy for many years, but switched over since they got the intel processors witht he macbook pro. I love it. there are no flaws that i have ever had. i would just say upgrade the ram, and posiblly not through apple (kind of expencive) also, the macbook rocks as well. very portible, and very reliable. they both are. macbook pro, worht the money. you won't be disapointed.
bjwok
thanks brycearonium,

yeah i will probably get extra ram at some point, but not through apple as you have correctly pointed out that it is WAY overpriced...

i ordered my macbook pro yesterday, estimated shipping by monday - giddy-up!
bjwok
hi folks,

ok so, i have my new macbook pro delivered and have been checking it out for a little while and have a question:

am i missing something, or does it have it's own built in wireless card? i seem to be able to connect to the internet without even plugging my ethernet cable in! (it's still in my pc) i am thinking i must be connecting to someone elses wireless network? if so, i wonder how long i can go undetected for! (and who the network belongs to?)

is this common?
bjwok
boy there must be a lot of mac users out there in fri land!

ok, regardless of the fact it seems i am talking to myself i will post another question:

i have my macbook pro running at native resolution of 1400 x 900 and i also have my main monitor (dell 24inch) running at 1900 x 1200.

the question is:

how can i play a dvd on the macbook, yet have the image displayed on the dell monitor in full resolution? i have played with the "mirror" checkbox, and all this does is display the same image on both (and the image on the dell is therefore at the macbook pro's resolution of 1400 x 900)

when i set the two displays up not in mirror mode and not playing a dvd the resolution on both is correct (1440 x 900 for the macbook and 1900 x 1200 for the dell)

there must be a way to output the info from the dvd to the dell on full native resolution?

anyone got any idea?

cheers
TheGeek
bjwok: I'm not sure what the point of that post was... I did read the thread, but I don't think I fully understood what was being discussed...though it appears I thought I did (who knows I might have been drunk when I posted that seeing as I don't remember posting it).

The new mac book pro is actually quite excellent if you are into mac products. Recently Mac products have grown on me in certain ways. I was strongly against Mac for years, and recently I acquired an Ipod Video and I absolutely love the thing. It is small, stylish and does anything and everything I could ever want. If that is any testament to the rest of the Mac products then when either I start making more money or they drop their prices a bit (as good as their products seem I still believe them to be too expensive).

A co-worker at my office got one a couple of weeks ago and he seems to be pretty thrilled with it. I went to the Apple store at the mall and tested it and was pretty impressed myself as well.
bjwok
no worries champ, drinking and posting may not be the greatest combination?!!

yeah, well i have definatley crossed over (after 6 years of pc related frustrations!)

and for those who wanted to know the solution to my problem in the previous post by me, it is really simple: i just changed the "active" screen from the laptop to the external display, and viola! the dvd runs from my external screen and the laptop screen goes black. full screen resolution, tickety boo.

lovin it!
kiranaghor
have u tried using winXP on mac book/pro? How is the performance? And did anybody used Parrallels software?
bjwok
thankfully i have absolutely no need to install any windows related software on my mac and never will...

the idea for me was to get as far from windows as possible.

now, how to get wmv files to play on the mac... (and yes, i note the irony)
TheGeek
to get WMV files to work you could probably just use wine like I do in Linux. Run the .exe installer for like WMP 9 in wine and then just save the WMV (if online) to your computer and then open up WMP in wine and run the file from there, works great for me!

The other option could be to use VLC media player. It can play all media formats and is available on mac I believe. I know it is available on windows and linux.
bjwok
thanks champ,

i don't think i will be installing linux at this stage as i don't want to install anything that i will not be using too often...

i wil try the vlc player, anyone had any experience with it?

thanks for the idea anyway...
Xeniczone
Simple.

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

Its a WMV codec for QuickTime Player it couldn't get any easier, and it's free.
bjwok
have i got it wrong or do you need to re-encode existing files using flip4mac?

or is it simply a plug-in that allows current files encoded in wmv to be played in quicktime?
TheGeek
I wasn't saying install linux, I was saying install wine under your OSX OS and using that to install WMP9 to play WMVs. VLC works great though so try taht first.
bjwok
thanks for clearing that up champ, think i will go with the vlc player...
bjwok
yep, vlc player does the trick perfectly.

something else of note, last night while playing music in itunes, a clunk noise was heard from around the hard drive area! the noise continued and i could not wake it from sleep mode. i had to force shut down!

this is the first negative thing to have happen since i bought my macbook pro and i am hoping it ain't a hdd failure waiting to happen?

thoughts?
bjwok
Here's another issue I have found recently, anyone else seen this?

My Macbook will not start!

The battery indicator is on 4 lights, the power adapter connected and running, yet when I turn the thing on there is no "power up" theme noise and the display does nothing.

Interestingly, the light on the front fades up and down as if it was on sleep, but I have no way of waking the thing up!

Do I need to take this to the store to have fixed, as I have tried all options in the manual: removing battery, starting with command, option, P & R but nothing fixes it!

Thoughts?
ammonkc
I have a MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo and I love it. My only regret is that I wish I had the Core 2 Duo model with the 802.11n airport in it. I just bought the new Airport Extreme basestation but don't have any way of upgrading my MacBook Pro's airport card to 802.11n. I wish there was some kind of upgrade path for my model.
bjwok
ok, after taking it to the apple store it turns out i have a faulty logic board... it is being replaced at the moment and should be doen within the week,,,

ammonkc try to keep on topic champ, but yes, i agree you should have waited for the core 2 duo as they are faster and generate less heat and (when they work!)