FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MySQL, PHP and APACHE

sonam
I have one stupid question but what I can do???

Everywhere I sow MySQL, PHP and APACHE together and many web sites promote this three software together for use. But I don't like APACHE because is too complicated for seting. Before I use one other server what is working OK with PHP but now I need MySQL. This server haven't any solution for connecting with MySQL and now I don't know can MySQL work alone without APACHE server or I must use it?

Sonam
hexkid
sonam wrote:
I don't know can MySQL work alone without APACHE server or I must use it?

MySQL doesn't need any webserver to work.
MySQL works perfectly well all by itself.
One often used (and very easy) tool to manage data from MySQL is PHP; PHP needs a webserver if it's meant to make active pages available on the internet/intranet.
PHP can work with a whole lot of webservers.

If you already have PHP working on your server (whetever the webserver software is), you just need to install MySQL on some server accessible from the one PHP is on and configure PHP to use MySQL.
yjwong
If you feel that setting up all three software applications are too complicated, then there are some preconfigured software packages out there. These include WAMP, apache2triad. Just a simple google search will bring you lots of results.
sonam
Quote:
MySQL doesn't need any webserver to work.

Thanks hexkid, this is good for me.

Quote:
These include WAMP, apache2triad. Just a simple google search will bring you lots of results.

I was instal WAMP but my question on their forum how to set on APACHE different root folder for different sites is not result with usefulll answer. Before I use one perfect server what is working without any problem with PHP, and I can set different root folder for any project. But now I am starting with MySQL, and I wosn't sure can I use this server. Now, is OK because I can use it in future.

Sonam

P.S.
Any link "How to seting PHP for MySQL" is welcome, and also, some simple tutorial.
hexkid
sonam wrote:
Any link "How to seting PHP for MySQL" is welcome

If you have MySQL and the webserver on different machines, make sure you allow access to the SQL instance from outside (configuration, firewall, ...).

Best way to learn about the installation is looking at the MySQL manual and the PHP manual Smile
They deal with your specific Operating System, webserver, and hopefully, any other question you may have.
sonam
I am finish with instalation and everything is working properly. I am instaling PHPmyAdmin and now I need some tutorial how to start with DB creation. Before, I am working with Flat Files and it is good knowledge before MySQL.

Sonam
hexkid
sonam wrote:
... now I need some tutorial how to start with DB creation.

After a quick search I found a tutorial on databases that will give you an idea of the possibilities of a RDMS (Relational Database Management System). I found another tutorial about database normalization, but the page is unfortunately down (but the site looks nice).
sonam
Thanks hexkid,
now I am going on learning. Wink

Sonam