FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Setting up an internet radio station?

Josso
I'm not bad with servers and stuff, I have one that I should be broadcasting to... and there's a direct link setup into my studio. It's just I havn't found the right software to do the job yet, I was going to post this in software but I thought there might be some DJs here that have done similar things and would have some advise for me.

What software do people advise, I must have been through about 10 applications already, I need some serious help here.

I tried Windows Media Encoder, the obvious choice for the Windows user... looks really handy but it said something about needing a Windows 03 server to broadcast to. I happen to be using a Linux one for this particualr operation. I don't even need mixer controls etc intergrated into the program (I have them externally, on hardware) just something that broadcasts a live stream to a server. A lot of programs only offer broadcasting for playlists only and not Line In or Microphone from your sound card Crying or Very sad
djwayno
Hey, the best software, with server for internet radio stations is shoutcast made by winamp.

the website is www.shoutcast.com and you can get all the software there. Its all free, its easy to setup.

Good Luck.
Darkfall
Would it not be easier to broadcast from your server?
actualeffection
Quote:

You would think so... But I don't think FriHost would allow such hosting. I think it's for your website and that's it. If you can link stuff from outside sources that is what they think best... Or at least that is how it used to be. So sorry if I'm wrong, Wink .

Oh, and thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to look into this considering I love music and would like to make one more broadcast to annoy the world. =D

Also, would it be possible to host the mp3's on a site like fileden and then just have the radio get the songs from there? It seems logical to me and is worth a try if there are indeed the boundaries I spoke of before.
Josso
actualeffection wrote:
Quote:

You would think so... But I don't think FriHost would allow such hosting. I think it's for your website and that's it. If you can link stuff from outside sources that is what they think best... Or at least that is how it used to be. So sorry if I'm wrong, Wink .

Oh, and thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to look into this considering I love music and would like to make one more broadcast to annoy the world. =D

Also, would it be possible to host the mp3's on a site like fileden and then just have the radio get the songs from there? It seems logical to me and is worth a try if there are indeed the boundaries I spoke of before.

The plan is to broadcast from line in, I have a mini-studio in my room with turntables, mixers, samplers, synths etc with an output already set up. I need to go via this computer onto a server. I'm not using FriHost for this one acutally... although I really can't see where it would be against the TOS. So yeah, my main server is going to be used for this one. I tried shoutcast but installing the server was tricky for me, it's a remote one... I don't have it in front of me if you see what I mean and it's running a different OS than this PC which complicates things. So yeah that was my problem with shoutcast, it looks like the best option but I really couldn't figure out how to setup the streaming server especially dealing with Linux files on a Windows OS.