FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any forum admins noticed....

Josso
The massive input of spam bots recently?

It's ridiculous, I'm deleting up to 2 per day now. I was going to activate the picture verification thing but according to one of my friends the new bots can get around that nowdays... phpBB has got to patch soon! This is just getting too much, I constantly have to delete threads as well... and my forum is only small.
S3nd K3ys
Josso wrote:

I was going to activate the picture verification thing but according to one of my friends blah blah blah...

Yeah, but have you TRIED it?
Josso
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Josso wrote:

I was going to activate the picture verification thing but according to one of my friends blah blah blah...

Yeah, but have you TRIED it?

Not much point tbh, the bots have got past that stage... somehow.
Agent ME
Turn it on and most bots will get stopped, if not all.

You could also go comment at the phpbb.com if its a real problem and the image verification isn't stopping all - maybe you'll find a mod to tweak it a bit so they can't get past it.
ChrisCh
What you could do is let guests view the forum and read posts, but have to sign in to be able to post things - using the visual confirmation and email address confirmation in phpBB when they register Smile
Agent ME
Ditto - make sure the "User" mode of Member Verification is checked too - that way it emails the user to the email address, and they have to click the link in it before they can use their account.
prongs_386
I havent had one bot yet and don't have the image verification on..... but I guess my site hasn't been advertised as such on the web.. I'm curious, how do bots actually find forum sites?
Agent ME
I'd guess they just google certain phrases that appear in forums they can attack, and follow the link to the forums.