FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I can not stop thinking....

bartdou
These days I'm busy creating my web site, everything needs thinking about, conceiving, designing, coding, testing, etc. The problem is, when I go to bed I still think about them without stop,and this result in that I can not fall asleep since I lay down 2 hours ago.
What's wrong with me? What should I do? Don't tell me go on working untill I fall asleep unconsciously before the working desk, because, you see, I'm a student and I live in school's dormitory with other 3 classmates, I have to go to bed when it's time for sleeping, I can not disturb them, and also that's bad for health.
Have you ever had the similar experience? How did you solve it?
Lennon
You've found something that really get's your clockwork ticking.

You obviously find web design very stimulating. You're now unleashing all your talent and skill at this one web-site. You're putting your whole self into this project.

the good news is that this enthusiasm will calm down over time. Either you will get fed up of programming or you will find some balance with your daily life with mates, sports, etc in a short while.

In the short term, you don't have to give up anything or do anything to fix your problem. In fact, you don't have a problem. you've found something you're good at, keep it up, but don't end up a workaholic, learn to take breaks and find something else to do in the meantime like hanging out with some of the other guys.
SmartIcon
I have also the same problem what you have. I am doing so many thinks that I always thinking abot anything. I am also in Love. So I am thinking always about my "Lady Luck". I am thinking in dream also. What should I do?
RT Cunningham
Whenever I spend too much time thinking about a web project and find myself thinking about it while trying to sleep, I do something to take my mind off of it.

I found that if I watch a movie or TV episode from a DVD that I haven't seen and I know it's good, it''ll take my mind off the design. Eventually, I'll get too sleepy to think about anything but sleep. Consequently, when I lay down the next time I usually fall asleep right away.

If you're thinking about a project when you should be sleeping, chances are that you're not physically ready to sleep anyway.
ThornsOfSorrow
For a long time, I had a lot of trouble falling asleep, but I've found the solution! This is going to seem really strange, but someone told me that a good way to fall asleep is to think about sex, and somehow it seems to work. Either that or I'm just weird. Embarassed
RT Cunningham
You're just weird Smile
qbawler311
I have the same issues as you do (we are obsessive), I found my solution a couple years ago. You need to physically exhaust your body everyday and you will go out like a light when its time for bed. Run 5 miles, lift weights, play a sport for 1-2 hours....etc. Not only does the physical activity wear your body out but it enables your mind to refresh by focusing on something else besides your current obsession.
sonam
Quote:
What's wrong with me?

Nothing! It is normal and I had same situations in nights. In that time I just thinking about my site, creating programs (in mind), possible pro blems, etc. The dream and sleep will come before or letter and I am not too worry about it and when site is over sleep is comming in normal state.

Sonam
kikass
nothings wrong with you, its just an indication of how much you are interested in what you are doing... you should be happy not worried! its the same with me... when i work on my bikes and have to test them the next day... just cant sleep.. continuously wondering if i left something out, if something could have been done better.. its excitement.. not a disease..!
keep thinking.. all you want.. when you are exhausted, you'll go to sleep! Smile
Josso
If I have a really cool constructive and creative new project going up for my website or whatever I usually can't stop thinking about it when I go to sleep but I think that's natural. Personally it has never actually stopped me sleeping, infact if anything it helped me sleeping. I would suggest keeping off the PC about an hour before you go to bed so your mind can concentrate on different things for a while.
ThornsOfSorrow
RT Cunningham wrote:
You're just weird Smile

Haha thanks for the support. You just wait until you can't sleep and that's the only thing that works for you. Wink
7gts-scout
i also having the same case like you... and honestly it happened lots of time on me... when time pass, it will bored you... unless you really create a great website that used up all your time on it...
nathanuk
i play alot of instruments but mostly guitar, i also play alot of pc games and i love them i cant stop playing or thinking about them. I also have had sleeping problems i found the best thing to do is exercise like preaviously mentiond. Or (i know this will sound a bit stupid)do the thing you love so much untill you get bored with it. then when you are bored with it you will find sleeping much easier. Another thing that works for me is have a full body stretch before i go to sleep but im probly just wierd, just try it.
woundedhealer
You're not giving your brain time to settle before going to bed. The best thing is to stop working on your project earlier than you are and then establish a good bedtime routine. If you find a bath or shower helps relax you, then do that. Get some lavender oil and I either put it in an oil burner or put a few drops on your pillow - lavender is great for relaxing you. Chamomile tea is also a great drink to have before going to bed. Meditation is also a good way to relax. I have some meditations I do if I am unable to sleep, and they really work.

It's all about letting your brain know it's time to stop working.
NewGuyinTown
bartdou wrote:
These days I'm busy creating my web site, everything needs thinking about, conceiving, designing, coding, testing, etc. The problem is, when I go to bed I still think about them without stop,and this result in that I can not fall asleep since I lay down 2 hours ago.
What's wrong with me? What should I do? Don't tell me go on working untill I fall asleep unconsciously before the working desk, because, you see, I'm a student and I live in school's dormitory with other 3 classmates, I have to go to bed when it's time for sleeping, I can not disturb them, and also that's bad for health.
Have you ever had the similar experience? How did you solve it?

Had the same problem. Think of something less exciting... or just shut your eyes throughout the night.

Sometimes I only have 2 hours of sleep. As long as you're not sleepy, then it's not much of a problem.
Agent ME
I used to get that problem - but I found if you do something else before you go to bed, it will push designing out of your head.
Slick
as we all know theres different kinds of people in this world n i think u fall into the catagory of those that once you start solving a problem or undertake a task then you cant stop thinking about it / processing it until its complete

i suppose from a phsycological point of view its kind of like a mild sypmtom obsessive compulsive disorder...

i do it... i know my father does it...

it's like when u get stuck on a computer game, often ive gone to bed only to spend an hour goin over the level in me head of wat i could do to complete it lol

sad i know!
karysky
Like RT Cunningham mentionned, try taking your mind off your project before going to sleep by watching TV or something.

Often, when I study late and I can't solve a math problem (which is frequent, as I study in actuarial science), well, I can't sleep because I keep thinking about how to solve that damn problem. What I do is that I listen to calm music with my mp3 player. It gets me asleep real fast, and although it's heavy on batts if you fall asleep without turning it off, it really help to get your mind elsewhere and sleep.

Smile Hope that can help !
thehempclan
Watch something that you've seen a million times when you go to sleep, sometimes that repetition helps your mind relax. Also, try taking a walk, and just let your mind churn, about anything, it's inspiring and it helps get it out of rhythm a little bit.
seanooi
I used to have problems like that. Everytime I encounter problems like these, I just have a smoke, listen to some slow music and i'll fall asleep without knowing.

You can try the listening to slow music, but no, i'm not encouraging or asking you to smoke. I know it's bad and I don't want a non-smoker to pick it up.
standready
I think all of us have had your problem. The bad part for you is sharing space with your mates. So, shut down work at least an hour before sleep. Others have given you some good suggestions.
For me reading works (eye focus and distraction from project). Try reviewing your next day's school work or get lost in a novel.
darvit
Nothing's wrong with you.

I was exactly like you a few years ago, maybe worse. During the summer, I would spend hours and hours in front of the computer, finishing up the design and coding and everything. The revisions were endless, and the ideas kept flowing.. I was staying up 'til 6AM.

When I was not working on my website, I was thinking about it. All I thought of was how to improve the design, which new things to add, which pages to revise and update. I think I was addicted to it.

Then I started getting sick. I started having month-long periods [I was bleeding for a month! :O], I lost weight... and so my parents took action: they banned me from the computer.

They've monitored my computer usage, and I always HAD to ask permission before even turning on the PC.

When school returned, I had less time spent on my websites, so my addiction gradually faded away.

Ironically, I was happier when I was absorbed in my website work. Right now, because I've been discouraged by my parents to continue my web projects, I've lost all inspiration, and my web and design skills have become stagnant. Life had so much meaning when I was inspired.

For all cases, withdrawal is the best cure, but a sudden one is not all that good. Sad Try thinking of other things, for a change. Take a break. Don't get sick like what happened to me! I know I'm so over it now, but still..
Vrythramax
I have this kind of trouble alot, I'll have something on my mind before going to bed and it seems I can't let go of the thought. I still haven't figured out how to get over it, there are times I won't sleep at all. Usually it has something to do with work, I tend to bring my work home with me...it doesn't help that I tele-commute some days.

If anyone does have a solution for this I would love to hear it.

@ThornsofSorrow

You are far from wierd, your just artistic Wink
soulman
you're lucky to have the design idea with you, here is a true story: one of my friend fell in love with a girl that he even didn't speak with, so he start to design their "first meet" again and again and again just like you, every time that he cannot sleep. but longer he thaught about this, the more fear he was feeling so he still do nothing... two weeks later while the guy decided to speak with the girl, he found that she just got a boy friend...

so... design a website is better because it will be always there... be happy~
Qube
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
You just wait until you can't sleep and that's the only thing that works for you. Wink

Haha, it's the exact opposite for me.
I can't get to sleep with anything sexual on my mind.

I have no idea what it is I'm thinking when I actually sleep.
When too much thoughts keeps me from sleeping I just picture darkness.
I close my eyes and imagine pitch-black nothingness.
It really calms my mind as I think of how it'd feel just to float through it.
And if it makes sense, I think about not thinking.
Idk, it works for me.

@darvit
Month long? Shocked
That's like...a non-stop period...
So glad I never will have to deal with anything like that.
Well, except for my girl and kids (eventually.)
bartdou
yeah, doing something else to relax before go to bed,
it worked! thank you all!
mantasx
Yah, that sometimes happens to me too. Not really from websites, but more like girls, skating... All I try to do (it seems to work sometimes) think of something very purely simple. Like thinking about my homework, did i finish my project, did i walk my dog, did i call my friend, did i tell everything i had to tell people, what will I do next week, tommorow... Something you do everyday... Keep thinking about something like that. And if you really get in it, you get bored of laying there, and at worst you fall a sleep in an hour.
izcool
You sound like you're a lot like me when I had the same sort of thing a couple of years ago.

I had my own web game back in the day, I sold it 2 years ago (I wish I hadn't now, I feel stupid that I did), but I'm trying to get back into the game with another webgame. This is my old web game, and this is my new one.

The problem is that I don't have much motivation any longer to work on my new webgame. I want to relive the "glory days" that I had with my old site with how it prospered, but starting a new site from scratch is HARD work. I feel that the beginning stages of opening my new site will be hard, as I have to make EVERYTHING from scratch. I had a lot of that done already with my old webgame, and it was sort-of easy as I just added on to whatever I had.

I'm a little bit thankful for my old webgame though, because at the time when I was making it, I always would sit at my locker at school and just wonder the meaning of the universe and why I was born. The only thing I thought of was that a couple of thousand people were into my website, and that was my purpose in life. If I didn't have that purpose, I might have went over the edge.

I know that sounds strange now, but it was something that was bothering me day-in and day-out when I was at school. I felt like that I was learning nonsence and it wouldn't be important to me later on.

I started my new site this year (in June) and I don't think it will be open and out of Beta stages until next June.

I remember the beginning stages of my first site - I had an entire 3-ring binder for it, with all of the pages layouts and designs being drawn out on printer paper. I would do that at school all the time, where I would flip it open and start drawing and thinking of things to do in it. When I would get home, I would sit that on my desk and start making it. Now that I'm thinking of it, I still have it around. I should flip through it and relive those "glory days" for about an hour. Man, I really regret selling my site now. Crying or Very sad

Maybe I should do the same with this new site of mine since I don't have a 3-ring binder for it yet. Hmm.

I even remember that I would think about my site all the time, even in my dreams. (I did sleep though, normally from exhaustion, as I was normally up until like 3:00AM working on my site). I remember recalling it as "thinking, eating, and sleeping about my site all the time".

Good luck to you, and there's nothing wrong with you, to answer your question. If you still think there's something wrong with you, you can pair up with me since I had the same thing at one time. Smile It sorta wore off though, but I want to get that feeling again with my new site, as I want that one to be as good to even be a lot better than my old site.

- Mike.
insanesnoopy
Have definitely had a similar experience....and it generally is about something that I am excited about, or have spent time in front of a computer monitor.

Give yourself about 1 or 2 hours before sleep to wind down. Read (for enjoyment) have a drink. Do some mind boggling thing....but don't think about the project. If you have an idea about something you'd like to work at....then just write the idea only in a journal....that way you do not fret.

Hope that helps.
silliman
Sometimes the mind does not settle down because of natural body chemistry; unbalanced body chemistry (illness); introduction of stimulants like caffeine from Coca-Cola, coffee, etc.; entertainment of emotional or excitable thoughts; or because of bio- rhythms that do not make the time of day we choose to settle down.

All of the above (with perhaps the exception of illness) can be moderated to help the mind settle down. As others mentioned above, sometimes it helps to involve us in a “cool down” or “winding down” activity that relaxes the body and mind. Some meditation, yoga or exercises help as well.

It helps to listen to your body and watch how it response to different stimuli, and then take the measure that move with our nature.
Pikokola
I think that's ok
When I reach 17 [last grade of highschool], I "accidentally" change my way to live, Ususally I wake just until 9 and then sleep and wakes up in 4/5 But, due to the more works and the other... now I sleep in 11PM~1AM and wakes up in 3 AM [2 hours sleep] And that's not a problem

And I think that's not a problem if you can give a day - like saturday or monday to fully rest [I can be sleep for 48 hours and wakes just for going to bathroom and eat in Saturday to monday Razz]

So, don't worry too much, It's ok.
bartdou
Pikokola wrote:
now I sleep in 11PM~1AM and wakes up in 3 AM [2 hours sleep] And that's not a problem

And I think that's not a problem if you can give a day - like saturday or monday to fully rest [I can be sleep for 48 hours and wakes just for going to bathroom and eat in Saturday to monday Razz]

You are weird Surprised , I can not believe you sleep 2 hours a day, or you sleep 48 hours continuously, you are weird. that 's bad to your health, you don't think that's problem now, but when get old, the problem will come. your life is not regular at all,
Pikokola
bartdou wrote:
Pikokola wrote:
now I sleep in 11PM~1AM and wakes up in 3 AM [2 hours sleep] And that's not a problem

You are weird Surprised , I can not believe you sleep 2 hours a day, or you sleep 48 hours continuously, you are weird. that 's bad to your health, you don't think that's problem now, but when get old, the problem will come. your life is not regular at all,

Actually with some tricks.. It's can be done... here is some :
1. Eat a food which supply enough energy for you...
2. Don't over do yourslef when watching TV, using computer, Reading, or anything that can makes you eyes tired

And one of the most usefull tips for me :

3. Sleep when you got a boring lesson Razz Don't worry in my country.. at least you understand, can answer any question from the lecturer, got a good mark in the test.. there is not much problems Smile)
briancoit
I know the feeling...

Its easy to get stressed over projects that have a timescale - I know, some nights I dont sleep at all.

I've never found a 'cure', but I find that the best thing to do is write idea's down, draw them, whatever - then thats one less thing to have to think about. Eventually I find once I've relaxed, the tiredness creeps up on me, and i'm out like a light. I think its pretty much just a fact of creative design - if your mind enjoys it, your mind wont sleep.
Wynand
I can relate with what you are saying Bartdou. I have the same problem or should I say blessing. The only difference is that I experience this in two situations.

Situation 1
I am also a programmer and a website designer. When I find something very interesting or are working on something similar, I can not seem to switch of it just like you.

Situation 2
I am also a student. When I have to write a big test the following day I sometimes can not go to sleep because the calculations and situations in the work that I studied haunts me. This can become sometimes so frustrating that I do not get any sleep. I contribute this to stress.
ChrisL
Some times that happens to me too except its with a song and, i cqant stop singing the same part over and over and over and over again its,msoo annoying especiLLY WHE YOUR TRYING TO GO TO BED.
WOTW
Worse comes to worse try something like Lunesta.
rennes
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
someone told me that a good way to fall asleep is to think about sex, ...

That's quite a good way. Please tel us your dreams...