FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows account restrictions

Timoses
Hi guys.
I wanted to ask how to forbid a certain account of windows to access
folders. For example I don't want the user of the account to access the
folder programs under C:\
alienjones
Which Windows are you using? XP Home doesn't offers too much administrative settings. Chances are better on using XP Pro.

I guess this can be done somewhere in start -> execute -> "gpedit.msc"
Timoses
It's windows xp home.
If I try to execute gpedit.msc it says that he can't find it..
tar-xzv
Hi,

Win xp home edition is a piece of "work". Do you know that you can't even join a domain with it? Gpedit.msc would certainly work under xp pro and you could create a local policy restricting users from accessing whatever you hold confidential. You can play with security settings of the C: drive. Set special permissions for the whole drive or certain folders.

Good luck,
5ani
babumuchhala
Sorry mate you cant control anything via XP Home. Better get to XP Pro, or protect your files and folders by hiding them as system folders and/or giving them passwords.
Jaan
Might be able to. Start in Safe mode, login as admin, then go to the folder/dir you want to edit, then go properties>security settings or w/e, then go set permissions, and edit there, then its safely protected. If you arent admin, look up security "AT" exploit (you can also find it on my site).
Cheers (not sure if it works on XP Home)
rfarrand
yeah xp home stinks...there is no useful functionality in xp home...i would upgrade to pro without a doubt...worth the money unless you are just using your pc for basic stuff and dont' want to do a whole lot with functionality or security.

go pro!
Bones
With XP Home, you can edit permissions by restarting in safe mode.
Just be careful with deny permissions. It's pretty easy to deny yourself (or everyone) access to something.

There are no group policies in XP Home though.