FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Top Chinese General Warns US Over Attack

Maka
Quote:
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:57 pm Post subject: Top Chinese General Warns US Over Attack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Chinese General Warns US Over Attack

Financial Times | July 15, 2005
By Alexandra Harney, Demetri Sevastopulo& Edward Alden

China is prepared to use nuclear weapons against the US if it is attacked by Washington during a confrontation over Taiwan, a Chinese general said on Thursday.

"If the Americans draw their missiles and position-guided ammunition on to the target zone on China's territory, I think we will have to respond with nuclear weapons," said General Zhu Chenghu.

Gen Zhu was speaking at a function for foreign journalists organised, in part, by the Chinese government. He added that China's definition of its territory included warships and aircraft.

"If the Americans are determined to interfere [then] we will be determined to respond," said Gen Zhu, who is also a professor at China's National Defence University.

"We . . . will prepare ourselves for the destruction of all of the cities east of Xian. Of course the Americans will have to be prepared that hundreds . . . of cities will be destroyed by the Chinese."

Gen Zhu is a self-acknowledged "hawk" who has warned that China could strike the US with long-range missiles. But his threat to use nuclear weapons in a conflict over Taiwan is the most specific by a senior Chinese official in nearly a decade.

However, some US-based China experts cautioned that Gen Zhu probably did not represent the mainstream People's Liberation Army view.

"He is running way beyond his brief on what China might do in relation to the US if push comes to shove," said one expert with knowledge of Gen Zhu. "Nobody who is cleared for information on Chinese war scenarios is going to talk like this," he added.

Gen Zhu's comments come as the Pentagon prepares to brief Congress next Monday on its annual report on the Chinese military, which is expected to take a harder line than previous years. They are also likely to fuel the mounting anti-China sentiment on Capitol Hill.

In recent months, a string of US officials, including Donald Rumsfeld, defence secretary, have raised concerns about China's military rise. The Pentagon on Thursday declined to comment on "hypothetical scenarios".

Rick Fisher, a former senior US congressional official and an authority on the Chinese military, said the specific nature of the threat "is a new addition to China's public discourse". China's official doctrine has called for no first use of nuclear weapons since its first atomic test in 1964. But Gen Zhu is not the first Chinese official to refer to the possibility of using such weapons first in a conflict over Taiwan.

Chas Freeman, a former US assistant secretary of defence, said in 1996 that a PLA official had told him China could respond in kind to a nuclear strike by the US in the event of a conflict with Taiwan. The official is believed to have been Xiong Guangkai, now the PLA's deputy chief of general staff.

Gen Zhu said his views did not represent official Chinese policy and he did not anticipate war with the US.

Additional reporting by Richard McGregor in Beijing
S3nd K3ys
A conflict with China is likely inevitable. It will probably result in China firing nukes because they know they don't stand a chance against the US using conventional methods. (And they don't posess the needed resources to get their 'overwhelming number of people' over here fast enough to do much real harm, provided the gobment takes any threats seriously from the very beginning, so most fighting will be there.)

Hopefully the US's defense system will allow us to retaliate and destroy China while blocking any nukes from China getting here.

Also, if/when China does use nukes, they will have the whole world against them. (Except the terrorists, I'm sure. Rolling Eyes )
lasablanca
using nukes' results will be tragic. now in Turkey we're seing tragic results of cernobil nuclear leak and Japan is hirosima's bad results..
risuarez
You are saying that the american forces will destroy china quickly. Personally I think you are confusing China with Irak. You won fast in Irak cuz the people of Irak helped you. and becuase they did´nt like Saddam. But the people of China love their leaders. Do not subestimate the will of survival of a big poeple like that one. your confidence in your military is gonna be your weakness.

Raul.
mengshi200
you don't know China's situation.Chines hate corrupt government,usa should promote Chinese reform and democracy course.otherwise,usa will have to face a nuclear war.
shr3dd
the victim in this thread is grammar, subtle humor aside, i think china should be put in its place. China launches nukes, we blow em up in the atmoshphere with Star Wars, fallout rains on the planet, ocean life is wasted, water is undrinkable, millions of people and other organisms will be poisoned, and it would start a cycle in that the radiation damage would multiply over the years and would surpass the decay rate of fallout (35 years). if any country used nukes then it would be a disaster for the whole planet. besides, if china tried to launch a nuke we would destroy the country beyond any kind of recognition. china is a corrupt government you moron. the UN is corrupt, most governments are corrupt. its american media's complete disregard for privacy that restrains our own government from being more corrupt. usa should say
mengshi200 wrote:
usa should promote Chinese reform and democracy course.otherwise,usa will have to face a nuclear war.
no, i would have to disagree. USA should bomb china, do everything in our power to prevent nuclear attack. if you think the USA needs to change or else well be bombed by nukes, you should be shot in the head for the good of humanity. you people dont know jack about humanity because when your thought process is so skewed, which is evidently the case. i dont consider you "human", i consider you "enemy".
S3nd K3ys
risuarez wrote:
You are saying that the american forces will destroy china quickly.

I think a refresher course in reading and comprehension is in order here. I can't see where I said we could destroy China quickly. Perhaps you could point it out to me. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Personally I think you are confusing China with Irak. You won fast in Irak cuz the people of Irak helped you. and becuase they did´nt like Saddam. But the people of China love their leaders. Do not subestimate the will of survival of a big poeple like that one. your confidence in your military is gonna be your weakness.

Raul.

Personally, I think you shouldn't be so quick to open your mouth and tell me what I was 'thinking'.. I have a very clear view of both China AND Iraq, and I most certainly did NOT confuse the two. And if you doubt the strength of the US military, take a look around you. Russia, for example, spent what, 10 years in Afghan, and lost. The US cleaned them out almost immediately, and we didn't use even a third of our resources doing it.

I'm sure China will put up more of a fight than Iraq and Afghan combined, but it will be a losing battle for China. FYI, the US has in place technology to defend against just about any nuclear attack China can muster, and the technology to destroy China as a result. (And don't think that if China fires a nuke, that the US won't level them for it)
shr3dd
S3nd K3ys, we should tag team argue with the mindicants on this forum. i completely agree. china would be leveled if it so much as began preparations to launch a nuke
Maka
China have no chance!!, the whole world would turn against them, the us has backup from the UK russia the lot, no chance.
Monkeydog
yes and Japan too which is not to far from China and the Japanese hate the Chinese too so it wouldn't take much to convince the =D
OnlyOneLife
The US is so hypocrital Twisted Evil , they've been known to take advantage of other countries:twisted: . Don't tell me the US doesn't spy Rolling Eyes . They spy on just about every country in the world. The US has tons of secrets they don't want you to know Speak to the hand Liar .

As for the China US Situtation. I think the US Should just take their big nosy self out Liar . They interfere with everyone's business Shame on you . Thats why so many countries hate the US. Why do you think the US keeps developing stronger weapons? because so many countries hate them. Anxious

If the US nuked China back, that could mean 500,000 innocent people die. Mad That could be the worst move the US could do. Think
frozenhead
Oh well.. if thats the case.. Firing nukes means SAMS counter missiles activation will be engage.. LOL.. kidding..

I mean, if this matter is really that serious, maybe China should think twice.. in my opinion..

If you have only 1 superpower ....
It will forced you to accept the value ........ attacking who is not agree ..!!
mohamed
You people might have misunderstood the implication of the quotes. He is writing in extremity to draw the seriousness of china in the taiwan issue. US has much supported Taiwan although there's quite an obvious influence to indpendence by their politicians. As such China is demonstrating their use of military power as an option in any scenario. Its not literal in every word stated but rather words of a General outlining China's seriousness and non-compromise over the issue.
tidruG
mohammed's right, but so are most people here who say that China will go down, because it really doesn't have any "big" allies, and definitely the strength of the US Armed Forces is unmatched.

But I really doubt that US can level China before China deploys nukes... and even a couple of nukes launched succesfully will be bad for the world in general... too many people dead, contaminated water and soil... I don't really think the US should risk it.

OnlyOneLife wrote:
The US is so hypocrital , they've been known to take advantage of other countries:twisted: . Don't tell me the US doesn't spy . They spy on just about every country in the world. The US has tons of secrets they don't want you to know .

As for the China US Situtation. I think the US Should just take their big nosy self out . They interfere with everyone's business . Thats why so many countries hate the US. Why do you think the US keeps developing stronger weapons? because so many countries hate them.

If the US nuked China back, that could mean 500,000 innocent people die. That could be the worst move the US could do.

point.... big point. but shr3dd and s3nd keys are major "Pro-Bush" Americans, so they're gonna hate you and me from this moment on.
mengshi200
China is very diffirent with usa.as you know.Chinese can't affect government's policy effectively.Because it is centralization of state power.it is historic selection.threated to usa with nuclear war is governmet's idea.People is all cheated.
Many of them insist on against war.Because we all love peace.Wild man is fewness.We need calm.American need to know China,correctly.
lockwolf
I hope china doesnt launch nukes at us, I live on the west coast and that would suck ass for me!
shr3dd
tidrug wrote:
point.... big point. but shr3dd and s3nd keys are major "Pro-Bush" Americans, so they're gonna hate you and me from this moment on.

actually, i agree, i think if any country launched a nuclear weapon it would be a travesty for the international community. contaminated water, soil, and all the fallout in the air would contaminate precipitaion which would cause a weird acid-rain type of fallout. we would be screwed. i think the US would shoot down a nuke before it came into US airspace and i dont think a nuke would ever touch american soil. i know the US spies on countries, we have to because they spy on us and we have to have security, if we don't, we lose. i am a major "pro-Bush" american, but tidrug, whats so wrong with supporting your leader? and dont give me any crap how Bush is evil because he's saving all of our asses.
cnnet
I didn't heard this before Cool
tidruG
shr3dd wrote:
tidrug wrote:

actually, i agree, i think if any country launched a nuclear weapon it would be a travesty for the international community. contaminated water, soil, and all the fallout in the air would contaminate precipitaion which would cause a weird acid-rain type of fallout. we would be screwed. i think the US would shoot down a nuke before it came into US airspace and i dont think a nuke would ever touch american soil. i know the US spies on countries, we have to because they spy on us and we have to have security, if we don't, we lose. i am a major "pro-Bush" american, but tidrug, whats so wrong with supporting your leader? and dont give me any crap how Bush is evil because he's saving all of our asses.

oh no, don't get me wrong... I didn't say Bush was evil for saving your asses. Any country would do anything to protect itself from a nuke attack...
Anyway, I'm glad you didn't attack everything I wrote... frankly, basically, we're on the same side... of humanity. A nuke dropped anywhere in the world is bad for all of us.
hofer
Does US army remembers what is a REAL war? Since WWII they have only attacked defenseless countrys.
shr3dd
ok so afghanistan is defenseless? was 9.11 not an offensive maneuver? iraq hasnt attacked us perse but it certainly helped people that did. and lets not forget were still in afghanistan so its not like were only attacking iraq. and btw isnt iraq still putting up somewhat of a fight? i mean, they do have "insurgents". besides other countries just seem like they're defenseless because the us is so powerful. if you dont wanna live in the worlds most powerful country then canada is right upstairs. go live with the liberals. its funny canada hates us but their continent is named after us. im not flaming anyone or telling them to leave the US but jeses christ people, were a world power, if we need to use our power than we will. lets not act like war is something a civilization has gone without. its a part of history and believe i or not were still writing history. war WILL happen deal people. there will be innocent bloodshed and there will always be some extremist group trying to attack those innocent people. right now its middle eastern radical muslims so thats who were going after. live with it folks.