FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

.htaccess NOT WORKING

coreymanshack
why is my .htaccess file not working? it gives me a 500 server error... what am i doing wrong?
kronso.23
You'll have to give a bit more details. But it sounds to me like a permission problem.

Here is a link I obtained simply by doing a Google search for "error 500"
http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E500.html
Maybe that will give you some more insight on your problem, good luck
Let me know how it goes Razz
coreymanshack
I've already changed permissions to 777, and that didn't help 1 bit... could someone just tell me how to install .htaccess for a directory on frihost?
Esch
Normally, you just put the .htaccess file in the directory (and subdirectories) where you wish it to take effect -- the fact that you're getting a 500 server error shows that it's at least doing something.

It'd probably help if you pasted up the .htaccess file you're using.
coreymanshack
Code:
AuthUserFile /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/admin
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName Admin Page
AuthType Basic
require user coreymanshack

hope this helps...
Kaneda
coreymanshack wrote:
Code:
AuthUserFile /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/admin
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName Admin Page
AuthType Basic
require user coreymanshack

hope this helps...

When the AuthName value has spaces, it must be surrounded by quotes:

Code:
AuthName "Admin Page"

Also make sure you have a line break after the last line (Apache tends to be very strict about that in some cases). Same things goes for the user file (I believe Apache (at least 1.3, haven't tested with 2.0) ignores the last user listed, if there isn't a line break after the line.

And, of course, make sure the path to the file "admin" is right, that a file with that name actually exists, and that that file is the correct format (username, colon, crypted password, line break). Wink

When it comes to .htaccess, 500 Server Error can indicate any number of problems, from permissions to syntax. Simply means that while applying the directives in the file some kind of error occured.
coreymanshack
what is userfile? i think i don't even need it, im only trying to protect a directory... and now when i login with my password and username it won't log me in... i stored the .htpasswd in the top level directory
Kaneda
coreymanshack wrote:
what is userfile? i think i don't even need it, im only trying to protect a directory... and now when i login with my password and username it won't log me in... i stored the .htpasswd in the top level directory

userfile (as in AuthUserFile) is your .htpasswd.

So, AuthUserFile should probably read:

Code:
AuthUserFile /domains/phpgames.frih.net/.htpasswd

(that's the best place to store it anyway, so it can't be accessed through HTTP).

EDIT: So I guess /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/admin is the directory you want to protect - in that case, you should place .htaccess there, if you haven't already. In short AuthUserFile is to specify where .htpasswd is stored, not what folder to protect.
coreymanshack
ahh ok thanks Smile i was confused about that part! Razz
coreymanshack
my password still doesn't work.. and i used one of those online generator thingies... and i used more than one kind to see if that was the problem.... but it still fails to log me in with my username and password
coreymanshack
coreymanshack wrote:
my password still doesn't work.. and i used one of those online generator thingies... and i used more than one kind to see if that was the problem.... but it still fails to log me in with my username and password

Ok, I'm back to square one on this, I didn't ever get it to work, has anyone successfully used .htaccess on this host? I really need to protect some directories.
MrBlueSky
coreymanshack wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

Ok, I'm back to square one on this, I didn't ever get it to work, has anyone successfully used .htaccess on this host? I really need to protect some directories.

You can use DirectAdmin for this.

http://www.site-helper.com/misc.html#password
coreymanshack
MrBlueSky wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

You can use DirectAdmin for this.

http://www.site-helper.com/misc.html#password

Thank you.