FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Refilling Printer Ink Cartridges

izcool
Hey everyone,

It's been awhile since I done this, but a few months ago I went into my local BigLots! store and bought a kit that you can use to refill your ink cartridges with, and a set of instructions to do it with most cartridges.

I tried this, I followed the directions exactly, and it turned out that the part where the ink is supposed to come out onto the paper was worn out and started to drip ink like crazy (luckily I found this out when I was holding it right side up over a trash can). Thinking that this cartridge was dead, I trashed it. The funny thing is that cartridge has only been used one time, and I've never refilled any cartridge before that.

I'm wondering if this is common for ink cartridges to act like that and what would be the factor on how many actually DO work after being refilled ?

Just so you know, I spent around $6.00 on that kit and it has like 5 bottles for you to fill up like 5 cartridges, and I've only wasted one of them.

Is there some sort of a science to do this right that I might not know about ? I'm interested in hearing tips and tricks from other readers who have done this before. I'm a newbie when it comes to refilling ink cartridges. I tend to buy ones at the thrift store for only like $2.00 apiece that will work with my printer. I'm trying to live as long as I can off of these instead of buying ones from like Walmart, Kmart, or Office Max, paying like $30.00 compared to like $2.00.

Much thanks in advance !

- Mike.
psquared
I've never refilled an ink cartridge myself, but some Office Max's have an ink refilling station where they will do it for you (much cheaper than buying new cartridges).

I emphasize some Office Maxes because there are two within ~10 miles of my house (in opposite directions), one of which has an "Ink Refill Station" and the other doesn't.
Jaan
you know where it says INK, well THATS WHERE YOU PUT IT IN SO STICK IT IN THAT BOX AMGHAD
izcool
Jaan wrote:
you know where it says INK, well THATS WHERE YOU PUT IT IN SO STICK IT IN THAT BOX AMGHAD

No, seriously. I want to know how to do it right, and I don't exactly think you know what I'm talking about.

Meanwhile, I found this picture since it seems to be relevant.

Thanks for your input though. Smile

- Mike.
jwellsy
I refill my cartridges all the time.

I used to buy refill kits from Sam's club.
http://secure.stratitec.com/index.php?cPath=192_209 brand.
But, Sam's and many other stores have quit carrying refill kits.
There's not as much profit margin in selling refill kits.

Just this past week I saw in a Target store that they had
a black ink refill kit for $12
and a color refill kit for $15
You can do at least 4 refills with these.

As far as technique goes, the only problems I have run into are;
-overfilling the cartridge causing an overpressure condition which forces ink to leak out the print head.
-sometimes the hole in the rubber plug will stop up and not allow air to enter,
so as the ink gets used a vacuum is created which eventually stops ink flow from the cartridge.

Your cartridge was probably OK, just overfilled/pressurized.
When that happens just let it leak till it quits dripping,
and wipe off all the excess.

I usually can refill a cartridge at least 6 times before the print head quits working.

Thanks for the tip about looking at Biglots for refill kits.