FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dirge Of Cerberus

mogster
"From here, a hunt is taking place over the entire world. For the worthless prey, massacre and atrocities are planned..."

Three years after Final Fantasy VII, a mysterious group suddenly surfaces to raid a town. They are a group of soldiers known as the Deepground Soldiers (DG Soldiers), created by the late President Shin-Ra, and trapped under Midgar due to the Meteor Crisis.

An optional character of the original game, Vincent Valentine, personally has some connection with this series of events, but the reason is unknown. What awoke in the underground in these three years? And what is the tragedy that is beginning? When the world is engulfed by darkness, his handgun will play the dirge...

'It's the beginning of the end...'

I recently got Dirge Of Cerberus, I have to say it's not really RPG, it's all graphics and shooting... and I died within the first 10 minutes XD.

The controls are interesting, left joystick to move, right to aim camera and R1 to shoot (I think) so it takes some getting used to...

Has anyone else got this? What do they think?
I haven't played it much yet
QrafTee
mogster wrote:
"From here, a hunt is taking place over the entire world. For the worthless prey, massacre and atrocities are planned..."

Three years after Final Fantasy VII, a mysterious group suddenly surfaces to raid a town. They are a group of soldiers known as the Deepground Soldiers (DG Soldiers), created by the late President Shin-Ra, and trapped under Midgar due to the Meteor Crisis.

An optional character of the original game, Vincent Valentine, personally has some connection with this series of events, but the reason is unknown. What awoke in the underground in these three years? And what is the tragedy that is beginning? When the world is engulfed by darkness, his handgun will play the dirge...

I recently got Dirge Of Cerberus, I have to say it's not really RPG, it's all graphics and shooting... and I died within the first 10 minutes XD.

The controls are interesting, left joystick to move, right to aim camera and R1 to shoot (I think) so it takes some getting used to...

Those controls eerily remind me of Halo's control scheme. I haven't played it and why would you have even assume the game is an RPG? It's obviously not, I mean the game practically screams "shooter." Not all Final Fantasy titles are RPGs, although a majority is. I hope Square Enix churn out a real RPG for the Wii. I've missed playing their RPGs.
rightclickscott
QrafTee wrote:
mogster wrote:

Those controls eerily remind me of Halo's control scheme. I haven't played it and why would you have even assume the game is an RPG? It's obviously not, I mean the game practically screams "shooter." Not all Final Fantasy titles are RPGs, although a majority is. I hope Square Enix churn out a real RPG for the Wii. I've missed playing their RPGs.

Well, that's because Dirge of Cerberus is a shooter. I knew this before I played the game. I played it, beat it, and I have to say, it's rather, uh, mediocre. In Square Enix's new attempt at a genre, they really didn't have much of an idea what they were doing. When you've been making RPG's for the rest of your life, it's hard to make anything else. The controls didn't remind me at all of Halo, they reminded me more of Syphon Filter or Devil May Cry, except that it failed at both attempts. What really gets to me is that Vincent, who's a cool enough character, does all these amazing things in the cut scenes, and you can't do nearly as many things. The big things that pissed me off, the enemy AI was terrible, they would just stand there and occasionally duck, how did you die within 10 minutes? You must be a bad gamer to lose to such bad AI. Another thing that got to me were the invisible walls everywhere. I would have liked it more if it was abit more open, but no, it was incredibly linear, which is nothing like other Final Fantasies. On the plus side, the shooting was good enough to work with, and when you got the control scheme down, it was easy to work with. The cut scenes are pretty awsome alot of the time, it's almost worth playing just to see some of the scenes, especially when you have to play through really cheap parts like when you're playing as Chaos. The graphics are amazing, real Square Enix style. The story is ok, it's not amazing, but it seems as though the game is really into it's own story alot of the time. If you're going to play it for the story, then you might as well be a hardcore Final Fantasy fan. Not only that, but the teen rating seems to drag it down at times. When they could do cooler parts with a mature rating, the teen rating they were trying to stick with ruined everything. The game is ok, but it's not worth the 50 dollar price tag. If you really want to play it, then wait 'til it's 20 bucks or rent it. It's not worth what it costs, but it's got alot of potential. They could do another one, fix all the minor problems like invisible walls and other attacks, or some major ones like AI, and it would be a really fun game, but sadly, it's not, so wait, or rent.
Hojo
i playes dirge of cerberua at a friends house and liked it. i was able to get to chapter 8 (out of 12) within 2 days or so, its not all too hard, but it took some time to get used to the controls. in the beginning i just killed everything with melee attacks, since that was the only thing i was good at, then later when i had no other choice used magic and guns (especially sniper rifle). after a while i got used to the controls and the game got a bit more fun. the thing scott mentioned about the cut scenes also pissed me off, vincent shoots down a helicopter with 3 shots while i took 5 or more mins to take one down, SE should have made him less skilled in the cutscenes, like this it just seems they want to amaze us and motivate us to keep playing.