FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Looking for a good RPG for PC

sarapicoazul
I am looking for a good RPG for PC. What do you recommend?
TonkPilz
Never winter night 2 will be released soon 20 October i think
and if you haven't tryd the 1st one give that a shot.

dunno what you have played before but i think a new dungeon siege was released a few months ago maybe you Kan try that
darth_revan
Well, what RPG games you have you played before?
sarapicoazul
darth_revan wrote:

None whatsoever
htmlrules
i know none
htmlrules
i know none
QrafTee
darth_revan wrote:

I've played Diablo II (including the expansion Lord of Destruction), Ragnarok Online (MMORPG), World of Warcraft (MMORPG), ROSE Online (MMORPG), Maple Story (MMOAARPG - Massive Multiplayer Online Action Adventure Role-Playing Game), and Final Fantasy VII.

Most other PC games I play are First-person Shooters and Real-time Strategy, although at times I'd like an Turn-based Strategy (like Final Fantasy Tactics [NOT Advance]).
ForceRun
I say the best one out is Titan Quest. Grab it from ebgames.com very fun, a lot or replayablity, and sweet multiplayer. Plus its graphics are just stunning. It even has advance Physics. Sound, music, and story is great. All of the script is all spoken so no reading the text. And like all RPGs it is very easy to play. Don't you love RPGs they take zero brain activity,.....
Nameless
ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)

I suggest this everytime someone asks this question. It's an awesome roguelike with excellent and detailed inventories, class, skill, weapon and talent systems, many unique dungeons and quests, hundreds of different monsters, it's randomly generated so every game is a different challenge. If you die you have to start the whole game over again, so it's a very difficult - but very fun! - challenge. The game is turn-based, so tactics are very important. And the amount of detail and cool items and features such as growing herbs, writing sets, corruption, companions, pets and slaves, monsters gaining experience, stealth and rogue skills... I could keep listing for AGES. It is, IMHO, the best RPG game, ever.

Oh, did I mention it's free to download from adom.de?

(One, uh, minor point - it's a roguelike, so everything is represented as ASCII characters and maps on the screen. There are no graphics, full stop. This means download size is really, really small, it runs really, really fast, and the focus is heavily on the mind-numbingly excellent gameplay... but no graphics, if that bothers you.)
Saryon
Well, it actually depends on your system.
But I would suggest to play one of the following:
- Neverwinter Nights 2
- Gothic 3
- Oblivion

I've played all previous versions of those games, and they all were awesome. So one of those would be a good choice.
roach831
i like warcraft games and also age of empire games, and even starcraft
Tasa
What are you looking for? Single play? MMO? Something that is good for a short term or long term?

As to what I suggest a lot of good one have been named but I will throw my current addiction guildwars. MMO with no monthly membership fees and lots of replay value.
actualeffection
I'd would definitely have to say either Shadowbane, Guild Wars, or World of Warcraft. Shadowbane is a free to play game as of lately, and there is also a trial version of which you can download that last forever. Guild Wars is also a free to play game but you must buy it from the stores first. The cap level is only level 20, but it's still a very great game with many new add ons coming soon. World of Warcraft.... Although there is a monthly fee it is still very addicting.

Overall-

Shadowbane = 8/10
Guild Wars = 10/10
WoW = 9/10 (only because you have to pay)

Also, Diablo 2 is pretty fun as well. Even if it does get very old fast if you've already played it for a while....

See you in the games.

-Tony
fashioncrimewave
My favorites are Morrowind (Elder Scrolls III) and Neverwinter Nights. Both have been around for a few years, so you can get the whole "Game of the Year" or "Diamond" packages pretty cheaply.

Morrowind has an interface like a first-person shooter. It is a very non-linear open-ended game - there is a "main quest", but there are tons and tons of side quests to do. It's a game where you increase your skills by using them, and your level is increased once you have increased your skills a certain amount. Unfortunately this lends itself to "grinding". But I think it's extremely clever, there is a lot of flexibility within the game (i.e. you can create your own spells and magic items to suit your play style), not to mention what you can do with the construction set.

Oblivion is the sequel to MW, but unfortunately it requires a lot more horsepower to run correctly. IMHO MW is also a better game.

Neverwinter Nights is a third-person game, not very much like a FPS. It is somewhat more linear, but still some flexibility in the order that you do things. I think that the leveling is somewhat better, since you get experience points for accomplishments instead of using skills, therefore you can role play better (not do things out of character just to increase skills). I've played some of the free modules out there and there are some really excellent ones, so there is essentially unlimited game play.

I started on Gothic 2 but didn't get too far. It looks like a good game in the MW vein but is somewhat more difficult. I got annoyed because every conversation seemed to take about 1/2 an hour, so I couldn't get much accomplished in limited playing time.

Haven't tried playing MMORPGs yet, mainly b/c I didn't want to pay a subscription like WoW. But now there are some that are free to play once you purchase the software, like Guild Wars, so maybe I will try soon.
Eyre
Yeah, if your computer can take it, Oblivion is one of the best out there. Highly recommended.
mrlego9
If your looking for online

World of Warcrack(warcraft)
And Puzzle Piartes

An non online one
Oblivion
and FFVII(u can still find some pc versions on ebay)
Rad Ultima 2
You can play Tibia. It's a free MMORPG (unless you want to pay for some additional things). It looks kind of like an SNES game. You could also buy Fable for the PC now. It even has some additional things that the XBox version doesn't have.
darth_revan
Well,

for those who never played RPG before; Play Diablo and Fable. They are easy to play, although they aren't RPG. You'll get used to the elements of RPG.

Then, play Dungeon Siege, and then NeverWinter Nights and Icewind Dale.

Now the funniest part, real RPG games!

Arcanum, Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment.

Note:
Final Fantasy, Diablo, Fable, Titan Quest and Oblivion aren't real RPGs. I don't mention that they are bad, but they don't let you Role Play your character... Maybe Oblivion and Fable a bit... But RPG is a different platform.

And, whatever its genre is, morrowind rules!
pokethamage
Go buy Oblivion if you're old enough...I'm 2 yrs away from being able to buy it -_-"...but whatever you do, DONT BUY MORROWIND...it's crappy...if you want MMO, go play Maple Story...it's free...
ba11inncali
Good free ones that I have played are:

Knight Online
Kal Online
Silkroad Online
Martial Heroes

Knight Online gets the lowest rating in my opinion. I really enjoyed Kal Online a lot until a update came out and my character's inventory got wiped clean. Silkroad Online is hands down the nicest free MMORPG I've ever played. The graphics are fantastic and so is the gameplay, especially now since I just bought a wolf. I recently started playing Martial Heroes I think the leveling in this game is way too fast since I just barely started a few days ago and am already a Level 40 warrior. Still it's a fun game though. Here's the links.

www.knightonlineworld.com
www.kalonline.com
www.silkroadonline.net
www.martialheroes.com
darth_revan
pokethamage wrote:
but whatever you do, DONT BUY MORROWIND...it's crappy...

You may not understand and play it, it may be far too complex for your brain, but morrowind is a good game. The game gives you more freedom than oblivion.

We are talking about RPGs, and best feature of a real RPG is freedom, that means that Fallout, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate and Morrowind are far too better than Oblivion. Graphics cannot make a game good...
faker_phil
As said before, The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion is fantastic if you don't need to play online, it still has an awesome story and gameplay, and the graphics are amazing.
aceflooder
Play Arx Fatalis-it is an 3d game with first person camera.
You have stats.
You have skills.
You have enemies.
You can sneak.
You can take some flour and drop it to ground then put some water on it then
make a pie shaped dough then put wine on it then some apple then throw it to fire then you will get apple wined piecake.
There are really big monsters.
You can have a bow.
You can cut animals and take their parts and cook and eat them.
Almost everything in game can be used.
Much Much more(making weapons etc.)
cant say anymore

If you want multiplayer game:

all i can say is select a free game with big community.

dont try knight online when you start playing you get addicted however it sux but you play -interesting.
hofer
Single Player = Diablo 2
MMORPG = Ultima Online

Good Old games!
Em_de_Tech
MMORPG = WoW (Worl of Warcraft)

I love that game, i actually like all the blizzard games, but this one just kinda sticks to me. (You gotta pay though, which sucks)
Darkfall
QrafTee wrote:
darth_revan wrote:

I've played Diablo II (including the expansion Lord of Destruction), Ragnarok Online (MMORPG), World of Warcraft (MMORPG), ROSE Online (MMORPG), Maple Story (MMOAARPG - Massive Multiplayer Online Action Adventure Role-Playing Game), and Final Fantasy VII.

Most other PC games I play are First-person Shooters and Real-time Strategy, although at times I'd like an Turn-based Strategy (like Final Fantasy Tactics [NOT Advance]).

There's no such thing as MMOAARPG Razz

I've played all of the above, pretty damn good games and I'll expand some of the above.

- Hero Online (http://hero.mgame.com/) - Free-to-Play
- Silkroad Online (http://www.silkroadonline.net) Free-to-Play
- Guild Wars (http://www.guildwars.com) - Buy game, free to play online
- Legend of Ares (http://www.legendofares.com) - Free-to-Play
- Rakion (http://www.rakion.net) - Free-to-Play Lobby Style.
- Fung Wan Online (Can't remember site) - One provider does free-to-play

Enjoy, all are full, except maybe Fung Wan Online.

Also, some 'lesser' ones in my opinion.

Turf Battles - www.turfbattles.com
Martial Heroes - can't remember site

etc
zozitdat
fly for fun is a great game you need to try it
its free to play and free to download

www.flyff.gpotato.com

its a very good gameplay
high graphics.
much quest and weapons
and dont forget its

FREE!!!
darth_revan
hofer wrote:
Single Player = Diablo 2

Well, Diablo 2 is NOT A RPG.

RPG means Role Playing Game. And you role play your character. How do you RP in Diablo? Buying and selling things? leveling up? killing innocent monsters (what the hell, innocent)?

Well, Diablo and Diablo 2 is Hack 'n Slash, which is also known as Action RPG.
pokethamage
darth_revan wrote:
You may not understand and play it, it may be far too complex for your brain, but morrowind is a good game. The game gives you more freedom than oblivion.

We are talking about RPGs, and best feature of a real RPG is freedom, that means that Fallout, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate and Morrowind are far too better than Oblivion. Graphics cannot make a game good...

Few Points:
1) The best feature (the one that matters most) of a "real" RPG is the storyline.
2) Packaging matters. If the game looks like crap no one will buy it. How many games of the years are there with crappy graphics? (note: we're currently in 2006, not 2002...note the timeframe)
3) Morrowind's NPC interaction SUCKS. You go talk to this random guy in one place and you go to another and I bet you there will be another NPC there who says the EXACT same thing.
4) Freedom in games is nonexistant. When you play a game you're bound by what the game is capable of allowing you to do. If you want real freedom go make your own game.
5) It isn't too complex for my brain. In fact, it's too simple. That's why none of my games are Action/FPS/Any genre other than simulation and strategy. Prove: My IQ is 141 according to the Tickle IQ Test. If you have a brain at all you should know [141] is higher than most Americans. Maybe that's why...I'm Chinese.
egbert
If you don't mind RPG's that are not really the hottest thing on the market, try the ones you can find at http://www.spidweb.com/ (they have demos of everything).

The graphics aren't really all that much, the combat is turn-based, but they're still fun!
mjohnson
I think DiabloII is the best one you can have a try. it is an old game but wonderful one.
bluecradle
try flyff it's a fun mmo...icewindale is also good.
i guess every1 has their own personal taste so there's no nid to argue here.
darth_revan
pokethamage wrote:

2) Packaging matters. If the game looks like crap no one will buy it. How many games of the years are there with crappy graphics? (note: we're currently in 2006, not 2002...note the timeframe)

Yeah, Doom 3 is better than Fallout, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate.. Well, no-one buys it, I DONT CARE. I play the games i like, and dont care about graphics. Graphics can make me realize that i'm male/human. That's all I want. I dont want to see my char's eyebrows...
pokethamage wrote:

4) Freedom in games is nonexistant. When you play a game you're bound by what the game is capable of allowing you to do. If you want real freedom go make your own game.

Well, in Arcanum, I can do exactly what i want, the game lets me do lots of things, and it makes me feel free. What else would i want from a game?
Em_de_Tech
Quote:
Well, in Arcanum, I can do exactly what i want, the game lets me do lots of things, and it makes me feel free. What else would i want from a game?

Well can you really say that you have done everything you wanted in the game. (Arcanum) Everygame has limitation and boundaries. I only know of one that has basically none, and its called Real life (sarcasm).
darth_revan
Em_de_Tech wrote:

Well can you really say that you have done everything you wanted in the game. (Arcanum) Everygame has limitation and boundaries. I only know of one that has basically none, and its called Real life (sarcasm).

Well, you can't do everything. For example, you can't have sex with everyone you see. But you can do all the normal things, yes. And among games, Arcanum is limitless.
IndzroAdmin
Here are a few web RPGs

1] Adventure Quest http://www.battleon.com/

Nice Game.
Web based, so no need of any client download.
You still need an account to play. Duh!
51.1% of the game is Hack & Slash.
(Mostly what you'll be doing if you run out of mana)
Rest 48.9 % its magic.

2] Dragon Fable http://www.dragonfable.com/

Another nice game.
All Hack & Slash.
You'll need an account.

3] ArchKnight http://www.archknight.com/

Nice Graphics & a great game.
Has some magic stuff in it.
You'll need an account.
TonkPilz
a totaly fresh rpg (not mmo) Neverwinter Nights 2 so far a good game hopinh it will as good as the 1st one

eavry one shuld etlest try it ones
Dr4goN
Try these: Gothic 3, Oblivion, Dark Messiah, Diablo 2, Sacred, Guild Wars and World of Warcraft. These are the best.
jipmerite
I would recommend Fable.

And for those who are confusing it, Age of Empires is an RTS game, not RPG.
Billwaa
Jingyong Online, free and amazing,

It is base on the famous novels that Jingyong wrote. All the types of kung fu style, weapons, missions, hunting, farming, fishing, trainning, sword making.... Basically, you can do anything you can think of in ancient China, even chess.
darth_revan
jipmerite wrote:

And for those who are confusing it, Age of Empires is an RTS game, not RPG.

Lol I remember a user said "I play RTSs like Bloodrayne, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale" it's like writing "how to be a n00b in ten golden steps" Very Happy

Fable is good, so good. But it isn't RPG either, it's Action RPG. But I can't deny that i had fun playing it.
tkGER
I have thought a lot about it... has anyone realised that GTA San Andreas is like some new kind of RPG?? Is not like the classic Dragons & Dungeons style of game, is more like a Role Playing Game where you can LIVE a LIFE (not the Snes game though , hehe Wink ) You can do almost everything you would do in real world... Does it apply as a RPG??

Anyway, it's a great game and kind of RPG (depending on what you call a RPG) . Hope it's of use Cool
Dr4goN
If you like hacking RPGs then I recommend you join Nanobyte Online community
If you prefer web based RPGs, I recommend Cypher.
Studio Madcrow
I like rogue-like games like Nethack and ZAngband. They don't look all that pretty (by default, at least) Nethack, (and the popular Slah'EM fork) however have Vulture's, which gives them a spiffy 3D isometric interface a la Diablo. The best you can get... and it's free.
darth_revan
lol nethack is also known as Falcon's Eye. It's so old, yet so good.

tkGER wrote:
I have thought a lot about it... has anyone realised that GTA San Andreas is like some new kind of RPG?? Is not like the classic Dragons & Dungeons style of game, is more like a Role Playing Game where you can LIVE a LIFE (not the Snes game though , hehe Wink ) You can do almost everything you would do in real world... Does it apply as a RPG??

Anyway, it's a great game and kind of RPG (depending on what you call a RPG) . Hope it's of use Cool

Well, GTA San Andreas is as RPG as Diablo, yes. But, the fact is, Diablo is NOT A RPG.

Do GTA San Andreas allow you to talk? Or do you just listen to yourself? Can you kill your friends? Umm... GTA is not a RPG. It's an action game, in which your character can improve his skills. Clothes and improveable skills cannot make a game RPG..