FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Saving Settings

DecayClan
My Windows are getting worse and worse, and they are malfunctioning, so, i must Format my HDD, and reinstall them. But i want to save my setting! All of them! Any suggestions?Anyone knows anything about how i can do it?Help plz. Also, how can i save my settings and my adress book form mozilla thunderbird?
All help will be appreciated.

P.S. If you are suggesting a program, a link to download it would be very usefull~thanks
kronso.23
well, you can go to C:/Documents And Settings/UserName/Application Data
I believe that holds all the settings and things for your applications.

but if you have things like photoshop brushes you'll just have to find them yourself, do a search on your hard drive for ".abr" that will find all photoshop brushes.

You just have to be resourceful dude, and make a decision of what you really want to keep and what you can just modify later.
Spyware
DecayClan wrote:
My Windows are getting worse and worse, and they are malfunctioning, so, i must Format my HDD, and reinstall them. But i want to save my setting! All of them! Any suggestions?Anyone knows anything about how i can do it?Help plz. Also, how can i save my settings and my adress book form mozilla thunderbird?
All help will be appreciated.

P.S. If you are suggesting a program, a link to download it would be very usefull~thanks

Here is an usefull article: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
Be aware you don't copy the malfunctioning stuff, otherwise your new installation will be crappy too...
otiscom
You may be better off geting a second HDD.
Set this as primary master and install Windows on this.
Set your original disk as primary slave and all your info will still be on this drive for you to eventualy move address books, documents etc onto the new drive.
However you must have the original setup disks for any applications you had originaly because they will modify the registry to be able to run.
After that reformat your original disk and you have all that extra space to keep loads of documents, jpegs, soud files etc.
DecayClan
Thanks all. and:
otiscom wrote:
You may be better off geting a second HDD.
Set this as primary master and install Windows on this.
Set your original disk as primary slave and all your info will still be on this drive for you to eventualy move address books, documents etc onto the new drive.
However you must have the original setup disks for any applications you had originaly because they will modify the registry to be able to run.
After that reformat your original disk and you have all that extra space to keep loads of documents, jpegs, soud files etc.

I am going to buy a new HDD, and i also have acronis migrate easy, which can even copy your entire HDD(with windows) all working fine, but then, as
"Spyware" wrote, the crappy stuff will be copied as well.

Any more feedback?(especially for copying settings and cataloges from mozilla thunderbird)