FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPod Nano memory problem

ncwdavid
Hey,
I recently go a 2 GB iPod Nano and on the bog it says it can hold 500 songs. I have put 73 songs on it so far and it says at the bottom of my iTunes library:
73 Songs, 5 hours, 327,4 MB. That sounds pretty normal. When I plug in my iPod to copy music etc. it says there is only 912 MB of free memory left. Thats less than half of the capacity. So it kinda means I can only fit around another 70 songs on it which means when i fill it up it will only have about 140-150 songs and the box says 500. There must be something wrong. All the songs are normal length approx 4-5 mb each.

Has this happened to anyone here? Does anyone know whats wrong? Thanks.
Xeniczone
Do you have pictures or anything on it?

Also when you plug it into your computer open it as a drive

Windows Click My computer then the drive that it is

Mac OS X it should appear right on your desktop

Select all the songs and see how much space it has used.
ncwdavid
I have just got the newest version of iTunes and when I plug in my iPod it shows me all the stats on a bar. Blue=Songs,Yellow=Photos, Orange=Other and White=Free Space. There is 335.8 MB of songs, 1.6MB Photos, 621.6MB of Other and 905.4 MB of free space. What could the "Other" category be?
Jaan
Lol m8, 500 songs -IF ITS 4 mins/128kbps AAC format. Read the fine text next time. 140 songs in 320kbps mp3 sounds pretty normal to me. Not a memory problem. If you really want to hold 500 songs, re-encode them in AAC with iTunes.
Cheers.
EDIT: the "other" is other files that you have on there, not in any other category. If you don't know how to delete those, go to iTunes, your iPod, then PRESS RESET IPOD BUT THAT DELETES ALL YOUR FILES ON IT AND FORMATS. BE CAREFUL WITH THAT
SORRY FOR CAPSLOCK IT SUDEENLY BROKE
ncwdavid
Everything is ok now. I went onto iTunes and I clicked restore iPod and it erased everything and restored all of the settings back to the way I got the iPod and I just put back all the songs and there is now 342.8 MB of memory taken up for the songs and 684 Kb of memory taken up for "Other" whatever that is.
Jaan
Glad you got it fixed now. (I fixed my capslock too)
neji
ncwdavid wrote:
Everything is ok now. I went onto iTunes and I clicked restore iPod and it erased everything and restored all of the settings back to the way I got the iPod and I just put back all the songs and there is now 342.8 MB of memory taken up for the songs and 684 Kb of memory taken up for "Other" whatever that is.

Don't forget there always stays some stuff on you're ipod so it can connect to pc etc... (let's say kinda driver orsow.. - correct me if i'm wrong - )
ncwdavid
I found out that the "Other" memory was my songs artwork like the cover of an album showing while the song is playing. I disabled it and theres less then 1MB of "Other" memory being taken up.