FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Trying to point a domain at frihost

horseatingweeds
My original domain was efficientpresence.frih.net on frihost. I wanted to change it to efficientpresence.com. I registered the domain name, then forwarded it to efficientpresence.frih.net. Then I went to ‘change domain’ in the domain section of the directadmin control panel. Now I can’t get to my control panel or view any of my website.
mOrpheuS
horseatingweeds wrote:
My original domain was efficientpresence.frih.net on frihost. I wanted to change it to efficientpresence.com. I registered the domain name, then forwarded it to efficientpresence.frih.net. Then I went to ‘change domain’ in the domain section of the directadmin control panel. Now I can’t get to my control panel or view any of my website.

It apprears you changed your frih.net subdomain to your new domain instead of adding it.
And your new domain is not pointing to frihost nameservers.
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnstime.ch?name=efficientpresence.com&type=A

Are you sure you set the nameservers at your registrar correctly ?
horseatingweeds
No, I’m not sure. I had it forwarding.

I thought I knew what I was doing but I obviously don’t. How do I change things back and add the domain and get access to the control panel again?

I put 216.32.85.170 under ns1.efficientpresence.com and ns2.efficientpresence.com with my domain register.
Bondings
For the control panel, try using http://www.frih.net/config/ .
horseatingweeds
No, I’m not sure. I had it forwarding.

I thought I knew what I was doing but I obviously don’t. How do I change things back and add the domain and get access to the control panel again?

I have a domain name, efficientpresence.com, I would like it pointing at my frihost server space. I have been reading through the tutorials and all that.

I don not have, that I can find, access to DNS settings on my Direct Admin control panel. Are we not able to use our own domain?

One my domain server I have the following settings registered:
Host name IP
ns1.efficientpresence.com 216.32.85.170
ns2.efficientpresence.com 216.32.85.171

In DirectAdmin under domain pointer I made efficientpresence.com  efficientpresence.frih.net

Am I missing anything here?

An additional quandary: http://www.efficientpresence.frih.net/ brings you to the ‘Hey, it worked ! The SSL/TLS-aware Apache webserver was successfully installed on this website.’ page; while http://.efficientpresence.frih.net/ brings me to my index.htm page. Before I started screwing things up, both went to my index.htm page. What did I do?
mOrpheuS
horseatingweeds wrote:
One my domain server I have the following settings registered:
Host name IP
ns1.efficientpresence.com 216.32.85.170
ns2.efficientpresence.com 216.32.85.171

Changing these two to ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net should most likely fix it.

horseatingweeds wrote:
An additional quandary: http://www.efficientpresence.frih.net/ brings you to the ‘Hey, it worked ! The SSL/TLS-aware Apache webserver was successfully installed on this website.’ page; while http://.efficientpresence.frih.net/ brings me to my index.htm page. Before I started screwing things up, both went to my index.htm page. What did I do?

They both work correctly when I access them.
May be it's just your cache ?
horseatingweeds
It was my cache, good thinking.

However, when I try to make the changes I get an error:

There is some problem adding the NameServers
• ns1.efficientpresence.com- Error: Nameserver registration failed due to error: Invalid attribute value syntax
• ns2.efficientpresence.com- Error: Nameserver registration failed due to error: Invalid attribute value syntax

Am I in the correct understanding. I am making these changes with namescheep.com, my domain host?

Edit:

I think I may have found what I was doing wrong. I was fooling with ‘Nameserver Registration’, I think I needed to do a ‘Domain Name Server Setup’.

This is what I did:

“CHANGE EXISTING DOMAIN NAME SERVER INFORMATION”:
ns1.frih.net
ns2.frih.net

I says it will take up to 24 hours to make it about all the servers.

Does this sound better?
mOrpheuS
horseatingweeds wrote:
I am making these changes with namescheep.com, my domain host?

If I'm not mistaken, you're trying the "Nameserver Registration" option in your namecheap control panel.

What you really want to do is change the nameservers at the "Domain Name Server Setup" option.
Remove everything that there already is, and add ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net to the list.

edit : didn't see you figured it out already Razz
It's working already - http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnstime.ch?name=efficientpresence.com&type=A
horseatingweeds
lol, yeah. Thanks mOrpheuS, you have a very patient soul.
horseatingweeds
If I have another domain on the same name server account, can I point it as a second domain on frih? I had them both pointing at ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net, but only one would work at a time. Do you have to add anything to point only at the second domain’s files?
mathiaus
Everyone on server 2 has their domains pointing to the same nameservers, they are different per domain. Point them both to ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net then in Direct admin add both domains seperatly, then in your files home directory you will have a folder called domains, in here will be two different folders each called the name of one of the domains. This means you can have 2 or more domains.
Not sure exzactly what you were asking but if you want both domans on your account but only want to use 1 (use 1 and have the other redirect to it), first add the primary domain, then with the second add it via 'Domain Pointers' to point it to your previously added domain.
Daniel15
Quote:
If I have another domain on the same name server account, can I point it as a second domain on frih?

Yes, we allow you to host an unlimited number of domains Wink

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnstime.ch?name=efficientpresence.com&type=A wrote:
Looking up at ns1.frih.net.... Reports 1 A record(s). 44ms.
Looking up at ns2.frih.net.... Reports 1 A record(s). 39ms.

That's a fast DNS server Shocked
horseatingweeds
I know, my changes took place in like 15 minutes, or at least that’s how long it felt. Does anyone want to give a detailed explanation on how dns works? I would be interested.
Bondings
How Stuff Works has a very nice article about dns, hidden between a gazillion ads of course. Wink It doesn't explain everything though, but more than enough for a first read.

I don't know enough about this to explain it all myself. (and it's too complex to explain it in a few sentences anyway)
gavins
$ dig SOA efficientpresence.com
Code:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2-P1 <<>> SOA efficientpresence.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 30213
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;efficientpresence.com.         IN      SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
efficientpresence.com.  14400   IN      SOA     ns1.frih.net. root.efficientpresence.com. 2006092300 7200 3600 1209600 86400

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
efficientpresence.com.  14400   IN      NS      ns1.frih.net.
efficientpresence.com.  14400   IN      NS      ns2.frih.net.

;; Query time: 4924 msec
;; SERVER: 61.144.56.101#53(61.144.56.101)
;; WHEN: Tue Sep 26 10:12:11 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 124

It's Working

$ dig A efficientpresence.com
Code:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2-P1 <<>> A efficientpresence.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 40752
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;efficientpresence.com.         IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
efficientpresence.com.  14400   IN      A       216.32.85.170

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
efficientpresence.com.  14400   IN      NS      ns1.frih.net.
efficientpresence.com.  14400   IN      NS      ns2.frih.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.frih.net.           171385  IN      A       216.32.85.170
ns2.frih.net.           171385  IN      A       216.32.85.171

;; Query time: 2892 msec
;; SERVER: 61.144.56.101#53(61.144.56.101)
;; WHEN: Tue Sep 26 10:14:24 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 131