FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CGI Revelution

reddishblue
Are these CGI invaders any good, do the good out weigh the bad.
Do we really want to never see anouther 2D movie in the cidema.
Also im warried that because Disney cant make a good CGI movie eg: Chicken Little will they be reduced to Saturday Morning cartoons.
What do you think?
s43ros
well technically a lot of the new 2d movies use cgi, and mainly just the main characters and individuals are actually animated. But i think that 3d movies are also coming out because they are so easy to fix any bugs, as opposed to redrawing an entire scene, you just go to that frame, change it, and in most programs, it aligns the rest of the sequence to it.
What bad things in CGI are you talking about?
bigdbag
What's wrong with CGI? The movies are great and animations are amazing. In Narnia, the lions were vveerrryyy realistic.
Manofgames
yeah, cgi is the way forward for some films, of course we dont want to get rid of actors.

but u have to admit the graphics in things like films such as Narnia which bigdbag mentioned are exremely realistic.

and then there's all those other films like monsters inc.

they were able to make and identify every single hair on that blue monsters body.

now that is advanced
s43ros
And also, take King Kong, the majority of the shots involving kong were cgi, as well as the opening sequence where you see the zoo and the elephants, the elephants are cgi. it's getting to a point where it is very difficult to tell the difference
QrafTee
reddishblue wrote:
Also im warried that because Disney cant make a good CGI movie eg: Chicken Little will they be reduced to Saturday Morning cartoons.
What do you think?

I say as long as we don't end up with a Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, we're all good. And seriously to stick such a popular name to a movie that has nothing to do with any of the Final Fantasy titles? Geez. And it does seem Disney cannot catch a break with CGI movies without Pixar... this is quite strange indeed.
Eyre
if you've ever seen the movie Serenity, lots of stuff there were CGI and i think they did an amazing job on it.
reddishblue
s43ros wrote:

What bad things in CGI are you talking about?

Rushed movies that are coming out to get in on the craze
s43ros
ahh, ok, yeah boo for rushed movies, but it seems that a good portion of the cgi movies have exquistly done graphics, almost to the point of realism on some of them.
Lucky81
reddishblue wrote:
What do you think?

Movies maded in CGI it's actually more cheap and fast to do than an traditional 2D animation, plus, we can get more animations in one sigle year. I think that 2006 get more than 2 animations bimonthly, take a look:

* Cars
* Ant Bully
* Monster House
* Hoodwinked
* Valiant
* Barnyard
* Over the Hedge
* Open Season
* Happy Feet

Nine 3D movies in one year, this is not 3D enough for us? So, Disney is working on a new project called "The Frog Princess", that will be in 2D, but is only that, nothing more.
reddishblue
You missed Garfield 2
Manofgames
madagasgar too.

damn thos penguins are funny Very Happy
rein
did anyone see 'sky captain & the world of tomorrow?'.
Every bit of the movie was shot against green-screen. They didn't even use a table or a chair.
I didn't know this when i saw the movie, and i must say i was stunned when i found out. It's just SO beautifuly done. Especialy when you see it's made 3 years before Narnia.
Manofgames
woh Shocked
that was a cool film, didn't realise that that was cgi.

all looks so life like
rein
yeah, i know. I completely loved the retro-20's-scifi-comic book style too.
Some images of the shooting can be found here:

Octaeder
QrafTee wrote:
reddishblue wrote:
What do you think?

I say as long as we don't end up with a Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, we're all good. And seriously to stick such a popular name to a movie that has nothing to do with any of the Final Fantasy titles? Geez. And it does seem Disney cannot catch a break with CGI movies without Pixar... this is quite strange indeed.

You aren't wrong. I challenge anybody to succesfully tie that film in with the FF series. Ok, yes there was a character called Sid. But all the games used the spelling Cid so even that can't count.

Back to CGI, the two styles aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Anime has used CGI backgrounds to 2D films for a while. Best looking popular example of which being Ghost In The Shell 2. The problem with a lot of the children CGI films is that they all pale in comparison to what Pixar is doing and has done (especially in comparison to Monsters inc. and Finding Nemo... And no I have no problem admitting to liking those films despite being 22.)

The worst use of CGI to my mind at the moment is the special effects of some live action films. The first Spiderman is an example that springs straight to mind purely because Spiderman changed shape during the rooftop scenes.
Mayday
Actually, I think Spider-man had some of the best CGI of it's time, I can't remember him changing sizes during rooftop scenes, if you were talking about when he was running acroos the rooftops before he learns about his webbing, thats just perspective, him coming closer to the camera as he jumps, also it was to show how high he was jumping.

Now the CGI craze thats getting to me is all these animal movies, for some reason animation companies seem to rip off whatever PIXAR does first, waaayyy to many zoo/barn/animal movies. Probably another reason I liked Monster House, cartoony human characters.
healyrj
"Over the Hedge" is funny. Pure summer fun, the kind of movie a car full of seventh grade boys see with a car full of seventh grade girls. While it was only released in May, it has all the makings of a summer movie, like the old Peanuts movies. Nothing here is too complicated to understand, most of it is pretty silly, and all of it is safe for the entire family.

When movies are made, they intend an audience, and an audience reaction. Here, the bar was not set to be compared to the sentimental depth of "Finding Nemo," or the abject, hyperactive hilarity of "Aladdin." Here, "Over the Hedge" has a basic plot, and a basic conflict, and does the job it sets out to do.

RJ the Raccoon owes a very angry bear a wagon load of snacks, and realizes the new human suburb is packed with these snacks. He meets up with a friendly, but not too smart neighborhood of small forest animals, led by a careful-thinking turtle named Vern.

The characters are strong, each is distinguished from the other, with distinctive personalities, unlike the overblown homogeny found in some cartoons. This matters especially here, as there are more animals than some younger children will be familiar with.

Can RJ persuade the animals to help him steal the snacks from the humans? Will Vern remain the sensible leader, and help them avoid the 'Verminator' and his viscous animal killing tools?

For me, the funniest scene is an almost Matrix-like action sequence when the ordinarily hyper Hammy drinks a caffeine drink and goes in on a mission. Time stops, but not for Hammy.

The animation is good enough, and the story is told straight-ahead, without catchy songs. No one will leave the theater thinking, "That's incredible production value!" They will leave laughing, with an original story.

The structure of the movie is the reverse of Man vs his environment. As the humans take over former forest, there are fewer places for the animals to find food. Naturally, the animals smell potato chips and want more. Naturally, also, the humans want to retain a hedge between the woods and their home.

Messages about Man encroaching on his environment are throughout, but these do not overtake the movie. It might leave a few suburban moms and dads feeling a little sheepish, but everyone will laugh too much to really have a guilt trip.

I fully recommend "Over the Hedge."
Manofgames
healyrj wrote:
"Over the Hedge" is funny. Pure summer fun, the kind of movie a car full of seventh grade boys see with a car full of seventh grade girls. While it was only released in May, it has all the makings of a summer movie, like the old Peanuts movies. Nothing here is too complicated to understand, most of it is pretty silly, and all of it is safe for the entire family.

When movies are made, they intend an audience, and an audience reaction. Here, the bar was not set to be compared to the sentimental depth of "Finding Nemo," or the abject, hyperactive hilarity of "Aladdin." Here, "Over the Hedge" has a basic plot, and a basic conflict, and does the job it sets out to do.

RJ the Raccoon owes a very angry bear a wagon load of snacks, and realizes the new human suburb is packed with these snacks. He meets up with a friendly, but not too smart neighborhood of small forest animals, led by a careful-thinking turtle named Vern.

The characters are strong, each is distinguished from the other, with distinctive personalities, unlike the overblown homogeny found in some cartoons. This matters especially here, as there are more animals than some younger children will be familiar with.

Can RJ persuade the animals to help him steal the snacks from the humans? Will Vern remain the sensible leader, and help them avoid the 'Verminator' and his viscous animal killing tools?

For me, the funniest scene is an almost Matrix-like action sequence when the ordinarily hyper Hammy drinks a caffeine drink and goes in on a mission. Time stops, but not for Hammy.

The animation is good enough, and the story is told straight-ahead, without catchy songs. No one will leave the theater thinking, "That's incredible production value!" They will leave laughing, with an original story.

The structure of the movie is the reverse of Man vs his environment. As the humans take over former forest, there are fewer places for the animals to find food. Naturally, the animals smell potato chips and want more. Naturally, also, the humans want to retain a hedge between the woods and their home.

Messages about Man encroaching on his environment are throughout, but these do not overtake the movie. It might leave a few suburban moms and dads feeling a little sheepish, but everyone will laugh too much to really have a guilt trip.

I fully recommend "Over the Hedge."

Thank you for giving the plot away to those of us who haven't seen it!! LoL.

Yeah, Over the hedge is suposed to be quite good.

Quote:
Steve Carell
Hammy

Omid Djalili
Tiger

Avril Lavigne
Heather

Catherine O'Hara
Penny

Wanda Sykes
Stella

Jim Carrey
RJ the Raccoon

Allison Janney
Gladys

Eugene Levy
Lou

Garry Shandling
Verne the Tortoise
Verne

Gene Wilder
Norbert the Owl

Thomas Haden Church
Dwayne

Sami Kirkpatrick
Bucky

Nick Nolte
Vincent

William Shatner
Ozzie

Bruce Willis
RJ the Raccoon
RJ

are all in it too.

by the way, in Uk classes, what is the equivalent of 7th grade??