FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Stephen King novels

caiba
I'm almost finished reading Stephen King's The Shining, and I'd like to read more of his work when I finish. The problem is, I haven't read much of anything Stephen King has written, so I don't exactly know what to look for next.

Surely some of you are King fans, who can recommend me something good?
tony
I'm a King fan. I've also read The Shining and it is certainly one of his best. The original Stanley Kubrick movie is also top notch - have you seen it? As far as suggestions, I would definately recommend Desperation and the Colorado Kid. If you're interested in doing a lot of reading, start the Dark Tower Series. I've read that through book 6 (Song Susannah) and look forward to continuing when I get the time - a terrific series. Hope my advice is of some help.
lycadia
But NOT the movie versions, at least not First. The movie version of It in particular is dreadful, in my personal opinion. Almost none of his horror makes it into _good_ movies. for some reason, they always end up cheesey, though the book was great. And the Dark Tower series, starting with The Gunslinger, though I think of the 5 I've read, the 3rd is the best of those. I love a lot of Stephen King's work, I truly do. I enjoy his non-horror and his short stories as well. Did anyone else realize he wrote the short story that was the basis for the movie "Stand By Me"?
rip8fan1
If I could only read 10 novels from Mr. King, here are the ones I would read, and the order that I would read them in.

The Stand
Needful Things
It
Tommyknockers
Pet Sematary
Salem's Lot
The Dark Half
Thinner
Rose Madder
Misery

This should give you a good idea on where to continue, or start.

You could also check his site:

http://www.stephenking.com/index_flash.php
Acompany
I used to really dislike Stephen King stuff, but I think the reason is that I tried to read it while I was too young to comprehend it all. I tried to read 'It' while I was like 9 yearws old and scared the crap out of myself. Onc I hit my late teens and early twenties I decided to give it another shot and was happy that I did. Books I've read by King now include:
-All of the Dark Tower series
-Misery
-Christine
-The Stand
-Green Mile
-Buick 8
-Eyes of the Dragon
-Pet Cemetary
Anyone know what I should read next? Input please.
benwhite
The Green Mile books/collection is my favorite work by far. I've read a good bit of Dark Tower, and while it's certainly different, it's not one of my favorites. It's dark fantasy, but it's not my thing.
rip8fan1
Acompany wrote:
I used to really dislike Stephen King stuff, but I think the reason is that I tried to read it while I was too young to comprehend it all. I tried to read 'It' while I was like 9 yearws old and scared the crap out of myself. Onc I hit my late teens and early twenties I decided to give it another shot and was happy that I did. Books I've read by King now include:
-All of the Dark Tower series
-Misery
-Christine
-The Stand
-Green Mile
-Buick 8
-Eyes of the Dragon
-Pet Cemetary
Anyone know what I should read next? Input please.

I'd go:
1. It
2. Tommyknockers
3. The Dark Half
tinothompson
if you fancy something a little more surreal than out-and-out horror, try Insomnia, about a guy who starts getting disturbing hallucinations while he's i'll, it's a hoot
Mizar
Green Mile it's a beautiful book.
I read it 4 times.
It's very emotive.

Mizar-
Kostej
Is there enyone who knows The Langoliers? I've red it's not so good as the others novels, but I love it:)
crazedjill
Go for the Green Mile.

I don't much like Stephen King though... Cool
Tasukii
I don't really like Stephen King' s style, but some of his books really disturbed me -in the good meaning- such as The Green Mile, The Dead Zone and The Shinning...the others are not as good
hades9366
I used to like Stephen King when I was in high school especially the short stories he wrote under the pen name of Richard Bachman. I can't really bring myself to read him these days maybe I've become too much of a literary snob maybe I should force myself to pick one of his books up again.

Anyone know if there's any truth to the rumours that some of his more recent books were ghost written?
blackheart
After reading The Green Mile a few months ago (all those little books) - I watched the movie a couple nights ago - and it has to be one of the best novel-based films I've ever seen.

Like the book - although long and slow-moving - you just didn't notice.
nealio1000
read Pet Sematary. that is one of my favorite books by Stephen King. I have also heard that the Stand is really good too. Lastly the Dark Tower series by SK is really good
zebrabongo
I read The Gunslinger a few weeks ago and I have to say it was he strangest thing ever.
The sexual descriptions in the book are just….erh……awkward, and does nothing for the story. I mean sexually molested by a demon?

The flashbacks to Roland’s childhood was great and I’d really like to read a novel centring around that.
S3nd K3ys
King stated a while back he was done writing novels, claiming he had wasted enough trees.

I saw my wife with a new one, Cell, which I think came after he said he quit.

Did he ever finish that one series that he dragged on forever?
jockmcgonzo
he did finish that series and after 7 books i was a bit disappointed that i knew what was going to happen at the end about 2 chapters in to the monster 7th book. still it was an entertaining journey which is half the point and there was enough of a twist to keep me happy that i'd bothered.

To be honest i'd haven't bothered with a lot of stephen King since i read a huge amount of them when i was younger moved onto Dean Koontz and then to a huge amount of varied authors but the Dark Tower series really managed to drag me back in to his style of writing and for anyone who has a slight sci-fi/fantasy bent are well worth a read now he's finished the series and if you can afford to buy all 7 Rolling Eyes

Cheers

Jock
hades9366
jockmcgonzo wrote:
To be honest i'd haven't bothered with a lot of stephen King since i read a huge amount of them when i was younger moved onto Dean Koontz and then to a huge amount of varied authors but the Dark Tower series really managed to drag me back in to his style of writing and for anyone who has a slight sci-fi/fantasy bent are well worth a read now he's finished the series and if you can afford to buy all 7
Jock

Koontz was cool. I think I stopped reading King after Needful Things so other than the Dark Tower series (seven books is a bit of a commitment) what would people recommend?
rip8fan1
[quote="hades9366
Koontz was cool. I think I stopped reading King after Needful Things so other than the Dark Tower series (seven books is a bit of a commitment) what would people recommend?[/quote]

Start with the 'Green Mile' serial, and if you haven't read 'The Stand', I'd go there.
hades9366
I read The Stand and liked it. Might give Green Mile a go.
qbawler311
Stephen King AKA Richard Bachman, I note this because that is the alias he wrote his best book under "The Running Man" nothing like the stupid movie with Arnold Schwarziniegar or however you spell his last name. Also "The Stand (uncut)" is awesome if you got like 100 hours to kill.
Dean_The_Great
I am a HUGE fan of the Dark Tower series, although I won't get too much into it here, as I've already talked all about it in the 'Dark Tower' forum. But as for Stephen King, I've read a few others as well.

I'm more of a fantasy/sci-fi fan myself, so books like "The Stand (uncut)" and "Eyes of the Dragon" really appeal to me. Also, for someone who commented that they'd like a book based on the backstory of the Gunslinger, then you should really read "The Wizard and the Glass" which is book four in the Dark Tower series (obviously you'd have to read "The Drawing of the Three" and "Wastelands" first).

Now, if you'd read "The Stand", you should watch the movie. It doesn't do the book justice, but if you know the backstory of the characters (which you'd get from the book) then the movie is very well done. There are just some plot things that are shady and/or missing.

Oh, and by all means read the Bachman books as well... the ones I've read are quite good.
Disco_Dance_monkey
I like Stephen King, although I haven't read all that many of his books (From a Buick 8, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, his collection of short stories "Everythings Eventual", and a couple others I can't remember), I must say that my favorite was Christine, 'cause it was slightly lighter reading than the rest of his novels, and had a cool plot.
Vrythramax
Kostej wrote:
Is there enyone who knows The Langoliers? I've red it's not so good as the others novels, but I love it:)

I read it and thought it was great, a little hard to warm up to at first, but it gets real good later on.
jakegest
I've read a bit of king and have come to the conclusion that he is at his best when he write something short. The first dark tower book was enjoyable for me, the second was decent, but hasn't edged me on enough to read the third. I actually think the most enjoyable I read by him was pet semetary (which scared the bejesus out of me). The last work I think I read by him was the stand, I hated it so much I haven't been able to pick up another book by him.
Vrythramax
Has anyone read the book "Black House" by Stephen King and Peter Straub? If so what did you think about it? I saw it in the bookstore and was tempted to buy it as I like King's works but I'm not real fond of Peter Straub.
mephisto73
I've read more or less all of King, and its hard to pick one favourite.

His style is unmistakeable, not the literary mastery of authors like Mailer and Oates, but none the less rewarding reads. "The Stand" is an epic book that really captured me with its post apocalyptic setting, but his earliest work are maybe more vital - "Firestarter", "The Shining", "Dead Zone", "Salems Lot" was really genre defining in some ways.

Koontz to me was a bad replica of King but I won't go into that here.

"It" was a book I read 5-6 times during couple of years when I was younger and it meant a lot to me back then. It is really a beautiful book in many ways, and the supernatural stuff is just a backdrop really.

He also wrote some *really* good short stories, and some really bad ones as well. I have some favourites of which "the mist" is one.
KernEnergie
Im also a Stephen King's fan. I read almost all of his books, I don't have a favourite books, I also read some of his short stories and novels for kids Cool
But some of his books stay in my mind, I cried while reading The Dead Zone, and I have to say that the series they made is not very good.
The Shining is scary too, and the movie they made is also excellent.
The Green Mile is excellent, scary, fantastic and sad.
As mephisto, I must have read "It" 5 or 6times, a beautiful book.
The Talisman is not really good, but it's readable.
kazoe
i like stephen king's style and his convept for his stories, especially the books under his name Richard Bachman, though i do not read his recent books anymore. I like Dreamcatcher in particular. and the green mile series. i also have his collection of short stories, Dreams and... dam i forgot the complete title, a friend borrowed it ^^;
mcval
Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series is quite possibly the best set of books I have read...
Vrythramax
mcval wrote:
Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series is quite possibly the best set of books I have read...

I read one of that series years ago but I haven't a clue as to how many books there are to the series or there names. Could you possibly help me out here with that info?

Thanks for any assistance.
rip8fan1
Vrythramax wrote:
mcval wrote:

I read one of that series years ago but I haven't a clue as to how many books there are to the series or there names. Could you possibly help me out here with that info?

Thanks for any assistance.

There are seven books in the series:

1. The Gunslinger
2. The Drawing Of The Three
3. The Waste Lands
4. Wizard And Glass
5. Wolves Of The Calla
6. Song Of Susannah
7. The Dark Tower
Vrythramax
@rip8fan1...

It was The Gunslinger that I had read, at least I got to read the first in the series and not the second or third. It's been so long I should really reread it again just to bring myself up to speed.

Thanks for the info. Cool
lycadia
I've just finished Rose Madder. It reminded me alot of Delores Clairborne and Gerald's Game. I liked it -And I love the fact that once again there are small, subtle referances to his other books... for some reason that ALWAYS amuses me- but it was distressing, in a good way. It also reminded me of Eyes of the Dragon, in a way, becuase it also tapped into a little mythology and folklore. It was good. What I really want to find and read though, is the book he wrote which served as the basis of the movie Rose Red. I love that movie. It's a haunted house book... more of a Live house, really, live and evil. Palindromes are fun... anyhow, does anyone know what that book is called and if it's a short story in a collection or a book in it's own right?