FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I got stuck working at Burger King

Dwyer17
It's true. I work at Burger King. Not sure how that happened. Isuppose I'm still young, I shouldn't worry about it too much. It's a pretty easy job. Gets me the money I need. Anyone else work fast food around here? Well hey I'll tell you what. Fast food is so easy. It's probably the easiest job I have ever had. $6.50 an hour though. That's about minimum wage. I wish I could make more like $12 an hour, that would be nice. You?
ItsWesley
Hey,
I just got a job at Mcdonalds, getting about £4 an hour, which is about 7.5 dollars. Dunno if its easy yet as I've only had the orientation, hopefully it'll be easy.
joshumu
Naw man. You dont want to work fast food. Where do you live? There are other options. Where i live you start @ $15 / hour painting houses. But the cost of living is higher here too. Expect to pay atleast $400 if you want your own room. But you pay for something when you live here.
exarkun
lol that is a bit too farfetch, or were you thinking about some backward village?
joshumu
Nope. Its all true. I live in Telluride, Colorado. Village, no. Its only 2000 people which places it as a town. Backward, some say yes. Free public transperatation (including a gondola that connects our town with 'mountian village', no dog leash laws, a pro legleization sheriff, a free box (which i have gotten most of my possetions out of, including all furniture, clothes, tv, dvd player, snowboard, boots, and bindings, and most of the components of my computer). Hmm what else, free camping surounding the entire town, the sickest sking in the winter and the sickest climbing in the summer.
But i can understand why you would think its farfetched. Its the only place i found of its kind.
freakinlame
I wonder how it feels like to work in Burger King. I mean, I like the burgers in Burger King. SO if I get to work there, I'd probably get some free burger or something. Well, in my country, there are Burger King as well but if someone is working there, he/she will only get RM5/hour. That's like USD$1.20/hour. So I think getting $6.50 /hour is very high indeed for working in a fast food chain. But of course, who wouldn't want a higher pay, rite? Smile
discountcontacts
hi,

i work as a waiter, it's dirty, tiring and low pay. PLus u gotta cop crap from customers and the manager. Blue collar jobs suck. on the good side, you get free food, and you learn about the industry.
D'Artagnan
look the good way, you're feeding the hungry Very Happy,

i just believe that no matter where you work you need to want more, that's not greed or something like that, is just that i know that anyone is capable to spend their lives in a way that can change something Smile...

Good after the churge discource ...
I have 18 and i'm a trainee programmer in a nanomicro(infimal) business,
i'm a lucky one i know, in a country like brazil :/, but i really hating these job at all, no why programming is hard or something like that, is just cuz my boss is stupid and don't know nothing, so i say...

If youre young are studing and like your work you dont need to get desperate , i will not use to stay in this job by the rest of your life time, use some of your free time to study something that you like and look for a trainne job in that area (know the boss Very Happy).......
circuits
I work at my local Taco Johns. My store manager's my friend's mother, she's really cool, but my shift manager is a total bitch to me. I think it's because she has a crush on one of the newer crew members. Too bad he's 16 and she's in her late thirties. Satutory is a pendulum that can swing either way. Heh heh.
AutoTechGuy
I've been an auto technician all my life, recently unemployed. The money is right but the work sucks. Not only do you have to deal with dirt and grime... and extreme and dangerous working conditions, you also have to deal with irrational bosses and work your BUTT off. I've been out of work almost two months now - got fired because I got into a fight with the boss over something that was beyond my control.

I'm trying to get into some kind of IT career but not having any luck... no one trusts a mechanic even though I've got all the qualifications.

I found a local job posted today... auto diagnostic tech.. $24/hour.. guess I'll have to take it.

I'll keep you posted.
Jazradem
I can get around $40 an hour doing assorted I.T. jobs at my parents work. Pretty good considering it's stuff like 'which mouse button do you use to select' and 'how do i take a picture'. Not to mention I'm 15.
squirrelmaster
I have a friend who makes $10 US / hour working the nightshift as a correctional officer / jailer. But its the easiest job i know of, all he does is check the cells every 30 min, and in between he can do anything he wants, like watch TV or get on the internet. Smile
(pretty good job if you ask me)

another one is $15 US / hour as a customer service person for sprint, it's pretty good, but you have to know what your doing. (unless your friends with the guy in the next cubicle)
Insanity
I know how you feel. I'm a poor college student working at the dining halls. It's hard work washing the dishes and scrubbing as well as putting up with crappy customers, all for $7.85. Anything to pay the bills, I guess.
Phil
If a fast food job is all you can get, then you should take it. Just keep your options open and keep looking around.
I mean, other than a manager, what kind of career does Burger King offer?
I worked at Fast Food as a teenager. Made $3-$4 an hour, but that was over 20 years ago! Now I'm a helicopter mechanic making over $26.
I wish instead of fast food, I had tried to get more technical jobs. There are tons of places that would hire you as a shop helper and after a while teach some kind of skill, be it welding, machining, turning wrenches. Something that can really help you out later in life.

By the way, down here in southern Louisiana, Fast food employees are making up to $15 an hour. Some places are even giving a sign-on bonus.
It's all due to the shortage of workers from hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
Coclus
Working at fast food places is really bad.. I mean for a student it is alright but as an adult I want a better paid and more interesting job.
Dwyer17
Well w/e the money is nice and getting a job around here is pretty hard. Everybody needs a job. Its rediculous. But um yea fast food sucks. I don't like working there. I've been there half a year now and pretty much sick if it. Pretty sure I want to find a more intresting job.
Soltair
I work in KFC. It's a really hard job. However, working in a fast food depends on where you do work. Being at the front seems to be a bit easier than cooking at the back. In KFC, the cook is alone in the kitchen. He must prepare the chicken for the whole restaurant (it's really heavy) and brew the sauce. But also, he must clean the fryers when the oil is still hot, clean the floors, arrange the stocks, cook food for the customers when they are in need at the front, clean the whole restaurant and such. I do that at night, ending between 10h30-11h30 just to wake up at 6h30 the next morning to go to school. I get 7,75 $CAN an hour for this. And I sincerely hope to get better in a few years...

Maybe that Burger King is different, but I can confirm that KFC is a quite tiring job. Happily I am able to get very good marks without studying.
budiman
I used to teach kids, math. The payment was not bad at all.

Maybe all of you should try this kind of job as well. You can become private computer tutor for primary school student. You will earn good money and enhance your computer skill.
squirrelmaster
what about working at a gas station or convenient store?? they pay about the same as fast food, but in my opinion is not as degrading ( but, not by much)
a video store is a little more an hour, and i am actually considering appling at my local one Wink
wingedhope
I'm a camp counsellor part time and I think its AMAZING. I love working with children and well the pay is not that high as well. I wish I could be making 12 an hour too. There aren't that many highpaying jobs out there for part time. The fastfood industry seems to be interesting, I tihnk I'd want to work in it just once in my life. But some people say that once you work in it, you'll never want to eat fastfood again due to all the grease and procedures you see.
Soltair
budiman wrote:
I used to teach kids, math. The payment was not bad at all.

Maybe all of you should try this kind of job as well. You can become private computer tutor for primary school student. You will earn good money and enhance your computer skill.

I had that idea, but it would be quite a bad idea to switch job after a few months only. Looks bad on a CV. Also, this is a quite unsure job and many people (older than I) already do it. So it would be quite risky.

squirrelmaster wrote:
a video store is a little more an hour, and i am actually considering appling at my local one.

I tried the local video store, that was my "ideal" job. But they didn't need anyone... Crying or Very sad
arkebuzer
Dwyer17 wrote:
It's true. I work at Burger King. Not sure how that happened. Isuppose I'm still young, I shouldn't worry about it too much. It's a pretty easy job. Gets me the money I need. Anyone else work fast food around here? Well hey I'll tell you what. Fast food is so easy. It's probably the easiest job I have ever had. $6.50 an hour though. That's about minimum wage. I wish I could make more like $12 an hour, that would be nice. You?

As long as you are happy there´s no fault in not getting a huge wage.
In case you want to educate yourself and get a better paying job it´s great to allready have cash so you dont have to take a lot of loans. So keep it up mate =)
Life is more than just haing tons of cash.
S3nd K3ys
I haven't made $12.00/hr since high school. Never worked fast food. Always been some kind of manufacturing/programming job. I'm making $27.00/hr + overtime at a machine shop, and I like doing this work so it makes it that much better.
corey
I got passed over when I applied at Burger King. I wonder what that means...
squirrelmaster
My brother is thinking about welding school, anyone know how much that makes an hour, but more importantly are the rumors true about it absolutely ruining your eyesight?
mikethm
freakinlame wrote:
I wonder how it feels like to work in Burger King. I mean, I like the burgers in Burger King. SO if I get to work there, I'd probably get some free burger or something. Well, in my country, there are Burger King as well but if someone is working there, he/she will only get RM5/hour. That's like USD$1.20/hour. So I think getting $6.50 /hour is very high indeed for working in a fast food chain. But of course, who wouldn't want a higher pay, rite? Smile

Well, you are forgetting the fact that you can buy a Deluxe Ramli burger for RM2 while these guys have to pay probably a minimum of USD2 for a roadside burger. I used to ride into Johor once a week just to eat Ramli burger and smoke the cheap Malaysia cigarettes. A pack of 20s cost just RM5 while the same thing cost S$10 in Singapore. Not to mention that S$10 = RM20.
discountcontacts
i feel sorry for u americans, assuming purchasing power parity is fairli even, ur getting paid pretty much dirt. cant college students get a decent job at the banks or something, especially after uve got some customer service exxperience.
squirrelmaster
what about dollar general, family dollar, &c.?
aaronmac
Dwyer17 wrote:

Try working as an usher in a movie theatre - minimum wage, constantly cleaning up after hundreds of slobs. Not to mention - When people enter a movie theatre they always seem to assume they're better, and smarter than the employees working there, and try to walk all over you. You need a thick skin in a place like that :S
jharsika
I also work at Burger King! I get 7.25$/hr which is minimum wage where I come from. But it's a temporary thing, since I'm in highschool yet. I've been working there for a year and it's not that bad. I quit once for 8 months but I came back when I knew I needed more money. I actually mostly like working there, it's easy most of the time, the people working there are nice, and I get 100% discounts when closing, 50% when working, and 25% all other times. Only thing I hate are stupid people working there, customers, the general nastiness of the conditions and stuff you have to do, the owner, and general management. Of course, there's always something isn't there?
ehab
u guys shud try more creative things ..

they teach u stuff u need for later .. and they pay more . .

example :

freelance photography ( wedding, local newspaper, parties, sports )

web-designing ( personal sites .. anyone wud pay $50 , if they dont know much of the internet )

etc ..
jenice
I worked in fast food for a bit after high school. I worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken. To this day I only order food that is deep fried upon order from them.

One of the higher paid jobs that's just as easy to get as fast food (provided you're of age and are not a criminal) is working with school transportation. Either as a bus driver or a monitor. They usually pay up to double the minimum wage, which isn't bad for those just starting out. I work there now while I'm in school. There's quite a few of us doing that. We also get quite a few retired folks working because they're bored. Go figure...
Afaceinthematrix
i used to work at an ice cream shop (in fact my last day working there was yesterday)... i want to get a new job and i am thinking of looking into fast food because of how easy it is. i have a few friends who work at grocery stores and i've heard that is also easy. there's not much you can do when your in high school...
mstreet
Well its an honest job and we all have at least one of these jobs in our lives. I worked at 7-Eleven and I also worked at an ice cream place scooping ice cream the mininum wage in Manitoba at the time was 5.00 an hour
xj975
I worked at Mcdonalds..it lasted a full 2 months before I quit. It was the hardest most menial labor id ever preformed.

Constantly going because it was in a city, and getting paid nothing near what I shouldve been for the sheer volume of work being done, opening and closing on alternating days. Being there on time, standing out as an employee, and not gaining any recognition for it. I wouldnt have tried working there in the first place if it hadnt been owned by a friends cousin, where I was promised upward mobility, in hindsight even moving upward there wouldnt have been much of anywhere to go.

Long story short that job did not suit me at all, had I been making more it is something I couldve endured longer.
fbcompany
squirrelmaster wrote:
My brother is thinking about welding school, anyone know how much that makes an hour, but more importantly are the rumors true about it absolutely ruining your eyesight?

In Australia at the moment with the mining boom skilled welders (mig) on site are getting payed upto AUD130 000 per annum thats like 105 000 USD.

any old welder is getting AUD80 000.

but this is working on a mine site 1000km from a city and usually 12hr days 2 weeks on site 1 week off (fly in fly out).

if your a project manager engineer on site. your looking at 250 000 AUD + 25% site loading.

if your just a shit kicker and want to drive a truck around (undergound). Its about 320AUD a shift for 12hrs.
rheanna
Laughing Glad I don't work there anymore. The food sucks. Pay good attention to how they make it and prepare it. blah
Rico
You’re doing something; you’re not laying on anyone’s neck waiting for a hand-out. Decide what job you’d really like to do and start preparing yourself to become employable in it.
greatfire
i work at hungry jacks (its what burger king is called in australia) and i get 8.31 an hour(about 7 US).Works is not to bad and most of the people there are really good. I'm still in high school and earn a fairly large ammount of money for my age, about $2 over the minimum wage.