FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hard disk PATA? SATA? IDE? ATA133, 100?

sunjay
Hi,

I'm going to buy a new hard drive but i got really confused when the description of the drives include stuff like IDE, PATA, ATA133, SATA, ATA100...

I have no idea what they mean and i would like some help and clarification.

by the way, the drive in question is this
http://umart.net/au/product_info.php?cPath=27_43&products_id=105789
and this
http://umart.net/au/product_info.php?cPath=27_43&products_id=103687

If i have a computer that supports ATA100, would it be capatible with ATA133? My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA6VEML

Thanks very much guys
James
Animal
sunjay wrote:
If i have a computer that supports ATA100, would it be capatible with ATA133? My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA6VEML

Unless your computer is extremely old, it should support ATA133 - it should also support IDE hard disks too. Just stay clear of SATA hard disks because these will not work. You may, however, have to check if your computer is capable of running a 7200RPM disk - if not, a slightly slower performing 5400RPM disk may be the better option. And again, if it is a fairly old PC, it may only be able to access the first 137Gb of any hard disk, so it may not be a good idea to get a bigger HD than this.

HTH Very Happy
sunjay
hey,

thanks for that.

May i ask how can i tell how much of the hard disk my computer can assess?

I'm running WinXp Pro
Gigabyte GA6VEML motherboard
Intel Celeron 1.1Ghz
and 512 mb of PC133 RAM
FSB is 133mhz
ATA100

Thanks
James
DecayClan
If you get service pack 2, and make a bios update, you will probably access all of the hdd memory.
UPDATING YOUR BIOS IS ESSENTIAL<DO IT!
Qindows with no service pack, can "see" 160GB per disk max, but with service pack, up to 2TB,(i think).
If you update your bios, and get service pack 2,you will have no problems. But you can't get a sata HDD. From your description, i can see, that your computer can get 7200RPM, HDD.
saini.tarans
@ Sanjay

I'm agree with the comments of DecayClan b'se if u use this method 100% u solve ur problem but one thing or i suggest u that u use 5400 RPM HDD b'se ur processor is slow so u search or enquired properly than take decision b'se money relate metter is serious so hope u will success.
internetjobs
hi..

i am using sata HDD. but i cannot able to install linux or fedora, i tried many times to install readhat 9 and other version, but i didn't able to install...

other wise in windows flatform it is very suitable and running without any problems...
psquared
All right, first off, everything in this list:

IDE, PATA, ATA133, SATA, ATA100...

Is the same thing under different names, except for SATA. ATA100 vs ATA133 addresses the speed and method of data transfer, and if your computer is a Pentium III, you have nothing to worry about. SATA is new enough that if your computer is a PIII is probably cannot use it. Either of the two hard drives you purchased will work on your system.

The next issue is the 137GB limit. It is entirely possible that you will need to update your bios to be able to read your entire hard drive. If you are running anything pre-XP, you'll be stuck. You have to have SP2 for XP (which you really should have anyway) to read the whold HD. I would suggest NOT updating your bios until you're certain that you have to, as there's always a degree of danger when flashing bios.

As for my linux guy whose keyboard apparently lost a shift key... I'm going to go out on a limb and say you haven't spent too much time with this kinda stuff. In that case, the most user-friendly linux distro is indisputably Ubuntu. If you want to install linux, just download an install image, and it will set things up properly.
dickyzin
My computer motherboard supports SATA and I've got P4 3.4GHz. I'd like to get a new hard drive and I want to know if I should get a SATA. Can someone tell me the difference between SATA and IDE? I know SATA is new but I'm not sure of its benefits and weaknesses compared to IDE.
psycosquirrel
SATA is just a better interface. IDE is being phased out, so if you can, get a 7200RPM SATA drive. Also, most IDE drives are 5400RPM and run a bit slower than SATA drives (though the difference is not huge). Motherboard manufacturers are trying to kill IDE by only putting one channel on most new boards for the cd rom (cd/dvd drives are slowly going to sata, but it is a rough transition).
psquared
A few comments...

Quote:
Most IDE drives are 5400rpm

Eh, not really. Most new desktop HD's are 7200rpm. Most new laptop HD's are 5400rpm (it's a power issue).
Quote:
...and run a bit slower than SATA drives (though the difference is not huge

A few potentially confusing points here. The hard drive speed is dependant on the speed of the hard drive (5400rpm, 7200rpm, 10000rpm, etc) and somewhat on the firmware, not SATA vs IDE. The difference between SATA and IDE is maximum throughput, SATA has a maximum of 300Mb/s and IDE has a maximum of 133Mb/s. These kind of transfer speeds are rarely reached however, due to physical limitations of the mechanics of hard drives. That's why fragmentation is such an issue for speed. If one long file is read, it is much faster than seek/read/seek/read/...

You won't feel the SATA vs IDE speed difference too much in normal usage, but it does exist. Another (for some people surprisingly) big reason for the switch is cable size. IDE cables block airflow in cases, are limited in length, and difficult to use. SATA cables are thinner, not much longer, and even easier to break (so be careful guys).

Quote:
cd/dvd drives are slowly going to sata, but it is a rough transition

That's a serious understatement. It's a very rough transition, as there's no need for SATA speeds with these drives, they can't even max out IDE ever. SATA is also more expensive to manufacture, and is therefore impractical. Despite what people say, don't expect IDE to really go away for at least another 5 years.
sunjay
hey guys,

I've finally brought my hard drive. It is a Seagate 7200.10 320 GB. I'm just about installing it and then I found out about the jumper settings.

It tells me about Master, Slave and Cable Select and I have no idea what they mean. I went to the Seagate website but I havent got adobe acrobat installed. Actually, It wont install (i'll get that fixed later).

This is what i want to do, I want to have my exsisting hard drive as the drive with windows on it and I want to add this new drive as a drive for storing files and things. How do i go about that?

thanks guys
James
p.s Will my computer blow up (not literally) if I set the jumper incorrectly?
PseudoKnight
Bascially Master and Slave have to do with what part of the IDE cable you plug the hard drive into. If you plug it into the end, it's master, if you plug it into the middle of the cable, it's a slave. Cable select will try to determine the proper setting for you, but your cable might not support this.

Since your optical drives are probably using the second IDE cable, you probably just want to plug your new hard drive in the slave position on the cable that your current hard drive is using.

Your computer will simply not boot to Windows if you set the jumpers incorrectly. It won't hurt anything.
dickyzin
I think you can just change the jumper on the new hard drive to Slave and connect it to the IDE. Or you can set the jumper, if it hasn't been done, on the existing hard drive to Master and set the jumper on the new hard drive to anything else besides Master.
TheGeek
You want to put the jumpers in cable select and then just make sure that you put the main hard drive that you are booting off of on the connector on the ribbon cable that is in the middle of the 3 on the cable.