FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Super Smash Bros.

Sparda
If anyone here likes Super Smash Bros., you know what I'm talking about. This is a great game. I'm not talking about the first game, "Super Smash Bros.," I am talking about all the good ones. For example, Super Smash Bros.
Melee(My favorite so far), and the one comming out that I hope to get "Super
Smash Bros. Brawl! By the way, does anyone know if Super Smash Bros. Brawl is for Gamecube? ~Reply
QrafTee
Sparda wrote:
If anyone here likes Super Smash Bros., you know what I'm talking about. This is a great game. I'm not talking about the first game, "Super Smash Bros.," I am talking about all the good ones. For example, Super Smash Bros.
Melee(My favorite so far), and the one comming out that I hope to get "Super
Smash Bros. Brawl! By the way, does anyone know if Super Smash Bros. Brawl is for Gamecube? ~Reply

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (SSBB) will be exclusive to the Wii, but it has been stated that former Gamecube owners should keep their controllers in tip-top shape as it may not use the Wii Remote. I'm assuming that means the GC controllers will be used and SSBB will have almost no Wii Remote support at all.
Juparis
Oh come on--the original was awesome! There couldn't be a sequal if the original didn't exist. Wink
SSB Melee was a great sequal, but from what I've seen so far, there isn't going to be as big of a gap between the awesomeness of SSBM and SSBB.
The original was a classic--the second was epic. The third? We'll see once it's out.. (at the very least, they're keeping the good controller. Razz
Revvion
the first one really ruled for me, i never got to buy a GC but played the second one a few times and really liked it, but i found that doing smash moves with the analog c thingy was much to easy compared to the n64 way.
Spyware
Super Smash Brawl! Is going to rock Smile. Imagine, playing with Kid Icarus, Snake, Wario and ofcourse the Meta Knight!

2bad it won't be a launch-title for the Wii Sad.
SilverDogg
cant wait for this game to come out =). unfortunantly i guess i have to wait about a year for that =(. oh well, as long as its the best ssb ever im fine with it =D.

cant wait until i get my hands on it and try out pit from kid icarus. what a rush that will be =D. and i hope to see other new characters, such as megaman and sonic. they would fit perfectly =D.
Nitro15
I can remember when SSB came out. My friend and I saved up all of our $ and went out and bought it, then we missed like 3 days of school because of it.
SilverDogg
Nitro15 wrote:
I can remember when SSB came out. My friend and I saved up all of our $ and went out and bought it, then we missed like 3 days of school because of it.

stay in school kids ;D
Yantaal
three words: zero suit samus
Insanity
Awesome game. My roommates play it almost every night and they always lose =D
Cov3r70ps
Hmm... I often found the second game to luck based (with tons of random explosions and overly dynamic maps), but i absolutley loved the first game. I still love to go back and play the original as Donkey Kong, just for kicks.

The new one looks like it will be awesome though; I can't wait.
I can't wait to play as Snake. Very Happy
Fenroy
I'm personally a big fan of SSBM over the original SSB. I used to play the single player far too much, but I've since moved on to other games once again. I still love the multiplayer aspect of the game, though, and I often play it with a group of friends just for kicks. I always (and I mean ALWAYS) play as Roy. Marth is essentially the same, but the timing between the two characters is slightly different on their moves, and I've gotten into a rhythm with Roy, so Marth just throws me off. I also love their ability to do, essentially, 2 1/2 jumps when thrown from the stage compared to other characters' 2 jumps. Simply use the forward-B move and you character will hover for a short time and distance. It's saved me from a shameful fall many times.

Anyway, I haven't really seen much about SSBB, but I've heard it's gonna be amazing. I don't, however, want to buy a Wii just for that game, so I'm gonna wait for other games to come out and, if I like what I see, I may buy the system.
Victus13
I used to play the one for N64 all the time. Haha. I havent really touched the series since then, I'll have to find someone with a GC and try them.
Whong
Victus13 wrote:
I used to play the one for N64 all the time. Haha. I havent really touched the series since then, I'll have to find someone with a GC and try them.

Super Smash Bros Melee is way better than SSB. You should defenitely try it!Very Happy

It's worth it!Very Happy And SSBB will be way better than SSBM!Very Happy
Dean_The_Great
Everyone I know who's played this game loves it. It's just a solid game. The more they come out with new ones, the more I enjoy playing them..

The only thing is that I don't own any consoles, so it makes it difficult to play them... =P
Cov3r70ps
They should really come out with a Super Smash Bros for the DS. Just think of how cool that would be. One screen could be zoomed out and the other zoomed in on just your character, so that if everyone is spread out, you can still see. Also, if you think about it, the controls would be great, and with the wireless game playing, you could have some pretty fun matches.
uunter
I apologize in advance for being touchy, but I'm something of a connoisseur of Super Smash Brothers. It is one of the greatest multiplayer games ever, for its creativity, variety, playfulness, and depth of virtuosity.

Sparda wrote:
If anyone here likes Super Smash Bros., you know what I'm talking about. This is a great game. I'm not talking about the first game, "Super Smash Bros.," ...

Ahem...what's wrong with the original Smash? Yes, the graphics are ancient by now, and the character selection and special play options are limited, but it's still a fantastic game. Its gameplay is slightly slower and a bit different, but is still fast, furious, and difficult. Also, it's my opinion that the character balance was better in the original. Kirby was the only seriously overpowered character, and Jigglypuff the only seriously underpowered one.

Cov3r70ps wrote:
Hmm... I often found the second game to luck based (with tons of random explosions and overly dynamic maps)

There is an incredible amount of skill to playing Super Smash Brothers well. Learn how to use items to your advantage, or else turn them off. You can also turn off the annoying stages like Icicle Mountain and Flatland that have a high luck-based kill count. (You need to unlock the options to turn off items and stages; search online for the unlocking requirements.)

Fenroy wrote:
I always (and I mean ALWAYS) play as Roy.

No offense, but that's a lame way to play. Like Kirby in the original Smash, Marth and Roy are overpowered. Once you learn how to use them, it's not that difficult to dominate most other characters, because they're quick, powerful, and have long range with their swords. My roommate and I have a couple house rules, one of which is that you're not allowed to play the same character over and over again, unless it's a character you're not good with and you're trying to get better.

Moreover, it's far more fun to play random characters--once you get good with them, oddball characters like the Ice Climbers or Mr. Game and Watch are really good.

Happy Smashing...
JamesBond
i like that game very much.
faker_phil
Great game. Fox rocks, I don't like the Gamecube version of it, though. Good ol' N64 ftw! Very Happy
KentB
Super Smash Bros: Brawl looks like it'll be a fantastic game, especially with the motion sensor built into the control (that's the one thing i'm really looking forward to).
Insanity
The thing that they really need for SSB is some kind of online compatability.
Bakera
I play this game a great deal. We have competitions here at college often enough. The game rules, and that's all there is to be said. Very Happy
linkman2004
I haven't really played the game in a while. I've been to buys with my DS and Guitar Hero. Razz But it is definitely the best multiplayer game for the GameCube, heck, maybe even for anything, even beating Halo.

Man, just thinking about it makes me want to crack it out again.
Whong
linkman2004 wrote:
I haven't really played the game in a while. I've been to buys with my DS and Guitar Hero. Razz But it is definitely the best multiplayer game for the GameCube, heck, maybe even for anything, even beating Halo.

Man, just thinking about it makes me want to crack it out again.

Yep! I've had it for nearly 5 years, and me and my friends still love playing it. It has been made so well, it is probably the best multiplayer game!

Idea Wink
AtrickPay
A preview vid for SSBB showed Solid Snake (from the Metal Gear series) as a playable character, which is interesting because he's the only announced non-Nintendo character ever for the series, and Hideo Kojima himself is designing a MGS-themed level for the game.
Whong
AtrickPay wrote:
Hideo Kojima himself is designing a MGS-themed level for the game.

I didn't know that, interresting! I hope SSBB would have a lot of new characters and many old stages and new as well! Wink Idea
DarkJad
Yea, Solid Snake is in the game. Kinda weird, kinda cool. I dunno what to think just yet.

What worries me is that the director said he's going to make the game more appealing to a less hardcore audience.

If you don't know, SSBM is not only easy and fun to play, but it also has a very indepth side to it. MLG (Major League Gaming) plays it competitively.

I'm worried that the game will become TOO kiddie/easy/simple. What made SSBM and SSB great were their simpleness yet depth. If they remove the depth so that it's even EASIER to play, it will get boring very quickly. I STILL play SSBM, and I bought it when it was released.

PLEASE, don't make it less hardcore.
Cov3r70ps
DarkJad wrote:
Yea, Solid Snake is in the game. Kinda weird, kinda cool. I dunno what to think just yet.

What worries me is that the director said he's going to make the game more appealing to a less hardcore audience.

If you don't know, SSBM is not only easy and fun to play, but it also has a very indepth side to it. MLG (Major League Gaming) plays it competitively.

I'm worried that the game will become TOO kiddie/easy/simple. What made SSBM and SSB great were their simpleness yet depth. If they remove the depth so that it's even EASIER to play, it will get boring very quickly. I STILL play SSBM, and I bought it when it was released.

PLEASE, don't make it less hardcore.

Yes, dang right, Solid Snake is in the game! Very Happy
DarkJad
I'm still unsure about Solid Snake. He's just not . . . colourful enough. Then again, he CAN be.

I am a Kojima fan though. So I'm sure this will be well done.
hlavco
Revvion wrote:
i found that doing smash moves with the analog c thingy was much to easy compared to the n64 way.

You can still do it the old way, though. I do.

My best character in Melee is Pichu, and I'm starting to get nervous because they said not all of the Melee characters will be returning. They said that the ones exclusively popular in Japan will probably be removed. Because of this, I'd say Jigglypuff is out, and probably one of the Fire Emblem guys (I never liked them anyway). But I'm not sure about Pichu, because it is really the sole representative of the Gold/Silver Pokemon. Probably a small chance of it returning.

The other thing I'm worried about is Ruby/Sapphire Pokemon, because I pretty much hated the whole lot, so I hope they pick one of the few good ones.
Whong
hlavco wrote:
and I'm starting to get nervous because they said not all of the Melee characters will be returning.

Yeah, that's bothering me too, I like Marth, Roy, Ganondorf and many of the SSBM characters and would really hope that they all would return in SSBB and that many many others would join them!Very Happy

I heard that Blaziken would join SSBB, it's just a rumor, but it might have something in it. Have you heard anything like this? Confused
eggg
This was the only game a friend of mine had for his N64 for years, so he got pretty sickeningly good. It took a lot of playing to get to a level where I could even compete, and I'm still a few ticks below him. I liked the gameplay of the original much more than the sequel... I thought the moves got a little too flashy in some cases and made the fighting less compact than in the original, and I didn't like air-dodges at all. I also didn't like the way some characters were changed, mostly Link, but that could be chalked up to my lack of familiarity with the sequel.

This is a really good example of my favorite kind of video game. How good you are depends on human variables, quick thinking, quick reflexes, etc. You can continiously get better at a game like that, especially if you have a friend to play against, which means it takes a long time to get stale. Little League Baseball for the NES is another game with this quality. Great game.
DarkJad
Ooh, Blaziken would be cool. Another actually cool Pokemon (if I remember him correctly). Mewtwo was great.
I mean, Pikachu and Jigglypuff were cute and all, but Mewtwo just had an aura of badass. Whether it was his dark purple flames and Shadow Balls, or his deep laugh, or the fact that he glided (not ran) and telekinetically held items. Very cool.

Blaziken could really show off some pretty effects. Granted, he looks kinda goofy, but he could have some really cool fighting styles, especially if you add fire. Maybe a puff of smoke or a tiny fire where his feet land after a jump . . .
hlavco
Smash Bros doesn't have any characetrs with water powers yet...

Wartortle would be nice.
DarkJad
Nah.

I'm thinking a more interesting or unique character. Wartortle is way too much like Blastoise (who's already in the Pokeballs), and more importantly, he's like a smaller Bowser.
Throw in the chance of Bowser Jr. in the game . . . he might have a blue skin though.
XIII
Quote:
Throw in the chance of Bowser Jr. in the game . . . he might have a blue skin though.

I'm not so sure how effective Bowser Jr. could be in a Smash Bros. game, it almost seems like he'd fit in better as a living shield move; like Peach does with Toad.
I wouldn't mind seeing some more 3-rd party characters, alot of people have written in to NP asking for sonic, I think it might be cool to get some
Final Fantasy characters and items in there. Think how cool it would be to be able to summon Bahamut to do your dirty work for you....
DarkJad
I'd actually prefer no 3rd party characters in there. I mean, I love Final Fantasy, but it would just be weird having them there.

At least Snake originated on the NES (IIRC).
hlavco
I just wanna say that I HATE Bowser Jr. AND Koopa Kid. Bowser already has seven neglected children. Put them in some games.

Or if you really NEED to put in Bowser Jr, just call him Baby Bowser, because we all know that's who he is.
evanc88
The first was amazing, but, like someone said, the second was legendary.

Whoever said it was lame to play with the same character, I agree. Granted, I play with Bowser A LOT, but... Bowser has the odds stacked against him anyway--quite simply, he kinda sucks against anyone with a bit of speed (Fox, Roy, Marth, Falco, Captain Falcon, etc) with the exception of Samus. It'd be nice if all characters were pitted equal, but it's just not the case. Which it shouldn't be, I guess, because... different characters are just different.

I can't wait for Brawl. It looks like it'll be great. I can hardly wait for the Wii in general, actually.
Whong
Wii will really be cool with the WiiConnect24, you can play online and the Mii thing is great. You make your own Mii and which you could call like an avatar. Can't wait for Wii!Very Happy
Jakob [JaWGames]
Aah, Super Smash Bros Brawl is the game I am seeing most forward to for the moment. I have both the orginal Super Smash Bros and Super Smash Bros Melee and I love both of them.

I hope that they in Braws will have more Fireemblem Characters, it would be very interesting to play with a character like Hector with his axe or Lyn with both sword and bow.
hlavco
Jakob [JaWGames] wrote:
both sword and bow.

That's what Pit and Link are here for. Smile
NeoValkyrion
Findout that Gamecube controllers would be usable with SSBB made me a very happy man. I just hope they don't cut Roy out of the next game, because he's the only character I can play and I don't want to have to learn a new one. >.<
Whong
NeoValkyrion wrote:
I just hope they don't cut Roy out of the next game

I also hope that Roy would stay in the next game, he is really good with his counter attack and that super strong B smash!Very Happy
I really hope that Roy will stay in SSBB!Very Happy
Trent DeWhite
Slightly off topic, but still pertaining to Super Mario Bros:

The Adventures of Sherlock Mario I
The Adventures of Sherlock Mario II
Mario Live at Gordon College

Very Happy
DarkJad
Forget Lyn.
Guy, Karel, or any other blademaster from Fire Emblem would ROCK. Although Roy/Marth already have Blademaster attacks (UP+B, only without Roy's Flame looks just like their basic attack animation), it'd be interesting for an even faster version.

Or, even better, HECTOR. The end. Hector was just cool. I'd LOVE to see him in SSBB.
GOD13
This game is going to be good but its not going to be the best game ever. (either Halo 3 or Gears of War) I will be fine if not all the characters in melee dont return.
Emmons
I remember the first time I played SMB! n64. Man I love that game. But now I can never find it. I use to play it all that time. Boy o Boy the good old days. lol
uunter
evanc88 wrote:
Whoever said it was lame to play with the same character, I agree. Granted, I play with Bowser A LOT, but... Bowser has the odds stacked against him anyway...

That was me, and I applaud you for being a Bowser fan. I think he's one of the most fun characters, even though, as you say, he's kind of crappy when it comes to actual ability. I think they nerfed him too much. Of course he must be really slow--he's Bowser!--but his Smash should be the most powerful move in the game--he's Bowser!--and it shouldn't have the pathetic range that it does. I really hope they fix that in Brawl.

To me, the slower characters are more fun. Sure, my first best character was Link, and I still like him a lot--he's got so many fun tools to use--but to me the best thing about Smash is the psychological battle of anticipating what your opponent will do, and coming up with the perfectly placed, perfectly timed response. For this, the slow, powerful characters like Ganondorf (love him!) and DK (also somewhat nerfed, but not as bad as Bowser) are the most fun, and take the most skill. I also like the quirky characters that have very unusual playing styles, like Yoshi, G&W, Ice Climbers, or Mewtwo. They add a refreshing variety to the game, which is one of the things that makes Smash so much better than other fighting games like Tekken.

I hadn't heard that some characters weren't coming back. I hope that Marth and Roy are gone, though I doubt they will be. Too many people enjoy C-sticking on an edge and feeling like they know how to play Smash. Jigglypuff, on the other hand, should stay. Despite the Pokemon games being silly, Jiggly is a really good, powerful, character in SSBM (though not in the original). Yet she still requires virtuosity to play effectively, unlike the Fire Emblem douchebags. One of my friends and I have frequent showdowns between Ganondorf (me) and Jigglypuff (him) of epic proportion. It's all about timing and anticipation, and not becoming too predictable.

What a great game!
reddishblue
They should have an online play for Smash Bros and they should let sonic into Bros it would be sooooo cool playing as him Very Happy
Whong
reddishblue wrote:
They should have an online play for Smash Bros and they should let sonic into Bros it would be sooooo cool playing as him Very Happy

Yeah that would really be cool, I like Sonic pretty much!

Those Sonic games for Sega are really great especially Sonic 2 and 3!
DarkJad
Well, if there had to be 3rd party characters, Sonic would be pretty good. PLUS, he's got ready-made clones (Shadow and Silver!). Although Shadow would be pretty sweet as well, actually. ALthough if they gave him a gun he'd be lame.
KoHLive
SMASH BROS. ENOUGH SAID
Whong
DarkJad wrote:
Well, if there had to be 3rd party characters, Sonic would be pretty good. PLUS, he's got ready-made clones (Shadow and Silver!). Although Shadow would be pretty sweet as well, actually. ALthough if they gave him a gun he'd be lame.

I think Sonic would be good, but Shadow and Silver are way too much the same kind as he is so I don't think I'd like to have them three. I wouldn't want too many third party characters because then it wouldn't be Nintendo anymore! Exclamation
DarkJad
Yea. I mean, like I've been saying, "if there has to be a 3rd-party character".

It's just that Nintendo likes doing clones and stuff.

Btw, I don't know if you guys heard, but Nobuo Uematsu is doing the game's main theme song!
For those who don't know, then Uematsu-san did music for many of the Final Fantasy games.
benwhite
Can you imagine smash with online play. I can easily imagine it being one of the most popular online games, ever.
QrafTee
DarkJad wrote:
Yea. I mean, like I've been saying, "if there has to be a 3rd-party character".

It's just that Nintendo likes doing clones and stuff.

Btw, I don't know if you guys heard, but Nobuo Uematsu is doing the game's main theme song!
For those who don't know, then Uematsu-san did music for many of the Final Fantasy games.

Well that is untrue. What is said about SSBB is that the creator said he's probably going to trash the "clones." Hopefully that means trashing their moves and give them something unique to work with. I mean I like Falco, Dr. Mario (he may not be salvageable), Young Link (he may not be salvageable), Roy, and Ganondorf. Pichu... yeah cute and all, but really he's just a punchingbag clone of Pikachu and it's irritating to use it because of using random characters.

I'd like it if Sora made it to the game since he qualifies (original idea is Cloud, but he doesn't qualify as a candidate). Others include Bomberman, the blue bomber, Megaman, or his (much) older brother X, Zero, Zero v2.0, and members of Golden Sun.

First-party, I think more Earthbound characters should make it in the game as well as the Baby Mario Bros. (since they make it on so many Mario sports games as of late), an original Koopa Kid (Larry, Wendy, etc.), the possibilities are endless... kinda.
DarkJad
I wanna see Waluigi and Wario, primarily. Massive Nintendo characters that (strangely) just aren't represented.
Also more 'oddball' Nintendo characters, or uncommon ones. SSB was the first game with Ness for a lot of people. Open up the game a bit, let's toss in as many Nintendo franchises as possible before throwing in Sora and other 3rd party characters.
Whong
DarkJad wrote:
Open up the game a bit, let's toss in as many Nintendo franchises as possible before throwing in Sora and other 3rd party characters.

Yes! I agree, because SSB and SSBM had only Nintendo characters so I don't really see why to and 3rd party characters. A few are ok but not like over 5-10. Well we'll see what Nintendo does. Very Happy
evanc88
I'd like to see the character lists as big as Marvel vs Capcom 2 or other Capcom fighters--those things were loaded with characters, and all of them had their quirks. Whoever suggested Sora, I think that'd be pretty dope. Kingdom Hearts was fun.
DarkJad
I wouldn't like to see like forty/fifty or more characters yet - add them in slowly. While I love Marvel vs. Capcom, it's horribly unbalanced. I'd like SSB to maintain balance, and it would be impossible to really get a feel for balance if they added like twenty or thirty more characters this incarnation.
roach831
I remember when i use to play mario games i was like 6 or 7 damn those games where fun till new systems kept comming out and it was cool and all but i do miss playing mario, smash bros is cool and all but id rather just play any other game than that because i got bored of that game because i kept beating everybody Smile