FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PSP vs NDS

Which portable console is the best?
PSP
40%
 40%  [ 13 ]
Nintendo DS
59%
 59%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 32

Reiji
Which one you got and which is you think is better?
william
Personally, I love both of them. The DS is a lot of fun and, of course, innovative. The PSP's graphics are incredible. (For a portable.) I can't really choose which one I like better. The PSP is great for multimedia. (of course, games, videos, music, photos, and more.) The DS has a web browser, but that's it. Though, I don't mind. It's a portable gaming device, and gaming is what it does. Two screens are great and make the game a lot more fun.

Anyway, I really can't choose. I like both of them for their own reasons.
rightclickscott
I am sick of people making threads like this! Any PSP or DS thread eventually becomes one of these threads. Dammit, stop making these kinds of threads!
QrafTee
rightclickscott wrote:
I am sick of people making threads like this! Any PSP or DS thread eventually becomes one of these threads. Dammit, stop making these kinds of threads!

I don't get it, maybe it's because I haven't been on this forum for a long time, but I rarely see these "kinds of threads." Anyway, I choose the DS because the PSP is, in my opinion, a poor protable. Yes, it has graphics, but compare it to what we can really do, it's nothing but a waste of money. I mean at least the DS lets you to something new when you're using a portable other than it just being a portable version of a console (and quite inferior to a console at that).
Whong
rightclickscott wrote:

I do agree with you, there have so many of these. Both are consoles that are good, I personally prefer NDS, but everyone likes what they like! Idea
urbanbuddha
I like both.

I have a PSP, while my younger bro has a DS.

They are great in their own way.

PSP has the graphics and RPGs that I like, while the DS has some quirky games that I love to play multiplayer.

So I say, if you are deciding look at the library of each system and/or play test the actual thing for comfortablility issues and whatnot, then decide what is good for you.
Spyware
You can't compare the hand-helds. Both have great games and functions. You have to choose the one with the games that you like.

Internet Browsing on the NDS will rock! (Opera browser!!), while the psp has an amazing videoplayer.

I have a NDS, and in a month or 2, I am going to buy the psp too.
SilverDogg
if the psp just could come out with a couple of interesting games (more than just loco roco), i would get it.

however, right now, i just want to play loco roco. dammit, why wont someone near me own a psp and loco roco >_>
Darkfall
SilverDogg wrote:
if the psp just could come out with a couple of interesting games (more than just loco roco), i would get it.

however, right now, i just want to play loco roco. dammit, why wont someone near me own a psp and loco roco >_>

You'd be amazed at some of the games that are out that havn't even hit the market over here yet.

Naruto, Bleach: Heat the Soul 1/2/3, Key of Heaven (out now) and many more which are all amazing titles for the handy bit of kit called the PSP.

If you're lucky enough to have purchased a 1.5 or lower firmware PSP, or even downgraded you can take advantage of not only disc images, but also applications developed for the PSP such as iRShell which is a file management utility which can run various different iso, mov, wmv, avi aswell as MP3 and WMA from your PSP. And it uses the Infrared part of your PSP to act as a universal remote.

PSP > DS simply because of the million and one things that are possible with it.

DS you cant do anything other than play games.
SilverDogg
Darkfall wrote:
SilverDogg wrote:

You'd be amazed at some of the games that are out that havn't even hit the market over here yet.

Naruto, Bleach: Heat the Soul 1/2/3, Key of Heaven (out now) and many more which are all amazing titles for the handy bit of kit called the PSP.

If you're lucky enough to have purchased a 1.5 or lower firmware PSP, or even downgraded you can take advantage of not only disc images, but also applications developed for the PSP such as iRShell which is a file management utility which can run various different iso, mov, wmv, avi aswell as MP3 and WMA from your PSP. And it uses the Infrared part of your PSP to act as a universal remote.

PSP > DS simply because of the million and one things that are possible with it.

either youre just stupid or you are ignorant. basically, its the other way around. besides graphics, name ONE game the ds cant handle, one game. i dare you. cant think of anything? didnt think so.

you can surf the web on ds
you can listen to music on ds
you can watch vids on ds

why you would want to do any of that on a portable console (maybe besides the web, comes in handy when waiting for trains and such), is beyond me.

and none of the titles you named interest me. give me more games such as loco roco, and you might have me hooked.
QrafTee
Darkfall wrote:

This is what I believe, you can do millions of things, that's great. But what is better is if you can do one thing exceptionally well. The PSP does not fall into this category, it's like it has split personality disorder and it hinders its own progress.

BTW, you for the main reason people like the PSP to have the older firmware, it's because it allows people to play NES/SNES/GBC/GBA ROMS, that's right because it cannot crank out its own good games it breaks into Nintendo's commanding arsenal to play it. That is one of the only goods I can think about the PSP. If you want MP3, Game, Video, etc. Get a Blueberry cellphone, it has all that AND a keyboard... though I don't like the tiny keyboard many people do.
Nitro15
I vote PSP because of the amount you can do with it. There is so much more out there than games.
QrafTee
Nitro15 wrote:
I vote PSP because of the amount you can do with it. There is so much more out there than games.

If you want a machine called a Playstation Portable, I would be damned if I didn't assume you want it because of the games. Like I said before, if you want the mass multimedia this thing provides, get a Blueberry... Blackberry? Whatever... cellphone as it does everything the PSP does PLUS it's a cell phone! Yeah, yeah, it can't play full-movies, but the UMD is history anyway. And using it as a portable you'd be lucky to be able to finish one whole movie. There's just so many flaws in the PSP to be truly good. Perhaps a PSP2 would change things... hopefully it won't carry the price tag of it's older cousin, Playstation 3.
Yantaal
This is the way i see it.

Why buy a PSP?

It can play MP3's- but i allready have an MP3 Player
It has great graphics, the equivelant of a ps2- but i allready have a ps2
it can play films, and programs etc- but i have a tv and dvd player.
it can connect to the internet- what with that measly screen do you really want to + i have a PC

Why buy DS?

It has a dual screen- oooh this is new
it has the internet(or will do soon)- hmm, i dont know, i suppose it might look cool on dual screen
I can visit download stations and get games- nice
Classic games like: Metroid Prime, mario, sonic- i like games
It hasnt focused on graphics and brought out a boring uncreative handheld- totaly agree,
roach831
i would pick PSP because:

- you can play music

- you can play videos even movies depends on the memory card and the cd

- the games are pretty good looking

- and i like sony products....

but i dont like buying a memory card i think they should of made a hard drive for it like a 5gb hard drive or 10gb
Darkfall
SilverDogg wrote:
Darkfall wrote:
SilverDogg wrote:

either youre just stupid or you are ignorant. basically, its the other way around. besides graphics, name ONE game the ds cant handle, one game. i dare you. cant think of anything? didnt think so.

you can surf the web on ds
you can listen to music on ds
you can watch vids on ds

why you would want to do any of that on a portable console (maybe besides the web, comes in handy when waiting for trains and such), is beyond me.

and none of the titles you named interest me. give me more games such as loco roco, and you might have me hooked.

I've not played Loco Roco myself, but I've played most of the UK release titles and some of the JPN releases aswell (don't ask me how). I enjoy picking up my PSP on a free period in college when my breaks conflict with my friends and fighting Sasuke as Naruto 1v1 in amazing details or taking down Kuchiki Byakuya with Youirichi in Bleach 3.

It's an amazing piece of kit, and has plenty of different games, including one of my favourite RPGs; Breath of Fire 3 and reviving the great MediEvil game.

You can't use the internet yet, no browser software.
You can play music can you? Where's the storage ability?
Watch videos? Again, the above.

I think you're the stupid and ignorant one, pal.
SilverDogg
Darkfall wrote:

You can't use the internet yet, no browser software.

yeah there is. maybe not in europe, but i believe its out in usa and jap. 100% about japan atleast.

Darkfall wrote:
You can play music can you? Where's the storage ability?

ever heard of m3? no? look it up. and guess what, theres even more stuff!

Darkfall wrote:
Watch videos? Again, the above.

ever heard of m3? no? look it up. and guess what, theres even more stuff!
brian
There is no use to open a new topic that compare PSP and NDS.
They both have different market. Some people choose PSP because of its high quality performance and the media support. Other people choose NDS because they like to play some different kinds of game or use it to make their girl friends to happy.

In my opinion, I think PSP is better because I want high quality graphic and some kind of games such as Gundam or some racing games. In addition, I think games of NDS is a bit too cute (sorry for my bad English because I am a Chinese). Very Happy
Whong
brian wrote:
There is no use to open a new topic that compare PSP and NDS.
They both have different market. Some people choose PSP because of its high quality performance and the media support. Other people choose NDS because they like to play some different kinds of game or use it to make their girl friends to happy.

In my opinion, I think PSP is better because I want high quality graphic and some kind of games such as Gundam or some racing games. In addition, I think games of NDS is a bit too cute (sorry for my bad English because I am a Chinese). Very Happy

Exactly, there has already been so many topics on that.
What ever but it is no worth to discuss this!

Idea
Cov3r70ps
I'm not really sure which is better, as I do not yet have either, but I have been leaning towards the PSP. I'm a big FPS fan, and well, the DS has virtually no good way to play an FPS. I found the Metroid that my friend has to have relativly poor controls. But for a PSP, it has a thumbstick and you cain use a coin taped to the Circle, Square, Triangle, and X keys (it works as a nice joystick). I'm thinking that if I get either, it will be the PSP, because a good FPS on a handheld would be sweet. Very Happy
SilverDogg
Cov3r70ps wrote:
I'm not really sure which is better, as I do not yet have either, but I have been leaning towards the PSP. I'm a big FPS fan, and well, the DS has virtually no good way to play an FPS. I found the Metroid that my friend has to have relativly poor controls. But for a PSP, it has a thumbstick and you cain use a coin taped to the Circle, Square, Triangle, and X keys (it works as a nice joystick). I'm thinking that if I get either, it will be the PSP, because a good FPS on a handheld would be sweet. Very Happy

trust me, fps on ds works perfect =). metroid does not have poor controller, it has a great controller that is very easy to learn. i had a friend play the game, he had never touched a ds before, and it didnt take him long before he was running around like a pro (well, almost ;P). he loved the game =).
Cov3r70ps
SilverDogg wrote:
Cov3r70ps wrote:

trust me, fps on ds works perfect =). metroid does not have poor controller, it has a great controller that is very easy to learn. i had a friend play the game, he had never touched a ds before, and it didnt take him long before he was running around like a pro (well, almost ;P). he loved the game =).

Well, its just a bit hard to aim and shoot at the same time, or use any of the other button while aim and moving because you have to use the stylus to aim.
SilverDogg
Cov3r70ps wrote:
SilverDogg wrote:
Cov3r70ps wrote:

Well, its just a bit hard to aim and shoot at the same time, or use any of the other button while aim and moving because you have to use the stylus to aim.

not really. i use the thumbstrap (much easier btw, in my opinion anyway ;P), and i have no problems running around, strafing, jumping, and shooting =)
gr3gg3r
PSP

It's an all around good purchase. You can play games, watch videos, listen to music, look at photos, go on the internet.

You can also load any data you'd like, almost like its another hard drive to store things in. It's way more versatile than the DS. You can only play games on the DS and go WiFi.

I will hand it to Nintendo though, they do have some awesome games. I've been waiting for more fun games to come out for PSP for a while now. There are only a select few that are really good.
Whong
gr3gg3r wrote:
PSP

You can also load any data you'd like, almost like its another hard drive to store things in. It's way more versatile than the DS. You can only play games on the DS and go WiFi.

Well man, that's the point! DS is for games, not for movies, music etc. A Mobile phone can do all of that now!

DS = Games, Great Games, Superb Games!
hiquality
It depends on the the one who's playing it
If you want graphics go ofr the PSP , if you want the stylus to scratch the screen have a NDS.

I have a psp and I'm satisfied with it although my thumb hurts for too much playing.
The psp2 will bring some new features(tv out integrated)and with a retail price close to 200 USD it's going to sell making it a real competitor for NDS.

Also I know sony wants to launch the PSP phone which they already patented
x_runescape_x
SilverDogg wrote:

lol rofl i got PSP rofl loco roco... ive seen demos of that and its looks well.. not fun at ALL i jsut saw a worm made from balls moving around wtf?

ALSO WHO EVER HAS A PSP WHAT VERSION YOU GOT?
Erst
Nintendo ,, is the best ....
i don't like the psp..
n3k0
It depends what are you searching for, if you want more fun and you don't attach importance to the graphics, is better the nintendo, if you search for an impresive graphics, a big screen to see movies is better psp.
304esque
haha... this thread is more than a year old >w>

Well, I really really can't get around to liking the DS titles. Really. four times I said "Okay. This is it. I'll get a DS", and four times I end up staring at the shelves of stupid EBgames thinking "....I want my RPG crack..." and running off to the PSP section to drool at the RP titles.

Innovative, yeah, but I really don't see enough title to make me feel like getting a DS. I probably need to play them all to know.

Meh.
samadhi
Many classic games on NDS platform,PSP still have to move on!
Fire Boar
I've got linux on my DS. Go me.
Aures
You can play PSP, emulate N64, PSX, NeoGeo, MAME, GB/GBC, Atari, Sega, etc on the PSP.
You can watch videos on the so-freaking-wide PSP screen with awesome quality. (Who needs two crappy screens?)

How can the DS be comparable to that?!
mattchun
I've just bought a PSP2000(Hongkong released) several years ago, PSP is better I think, at least it gets a bigger screen to watch mp4s!
Aures
Agreed. Videos are of awesome quality on the PSP, they can be viewed as converted mp4, compressed but yet performant pmp, or in a ripped UMD Video format which I find of an ultimate resolution.

Again, how does the DS compare to that?
jeuxinfos
I have the PSP and I think it's the best because it's better to watch films, surf on the net or listen to music.

Although NDS is maybe more funny, I prefer PSP for the games and for the big screen.
Seiji
I have pretty much retired my PSP, I even converted it from 1.5 to 2.7. I basically now just use it as a USB driver to transport things. I should have gotten a DS since the games are probably much better but the PSP has its.... Laughing
dj281
PSP Games Are More Detailed