FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer Programmer

Jarock
Who wants to be a computer programmer? I do! Seems like my kind of thing.
If you don't want to be this, What do you want to be?
m0u53m4t
I do. How many programming languages do you know (?) and what country are you in? Most programming jobs are moving to countries like China and Thailand because its cheaper Sad
Mosquito.Tyler
m0u53m4t wrote:
I do. How many programming languages do you know
(?) and what country are you in? Most programming jobs are moving to
countries like China and Thailand because its cheaper Sad

I'm Interested in Programming. I've recently been looking into a college that
I want to go to. m0u53m4t is right though, alot of programming jobs are
moving overseas. I'm in the U.S. and am curious if anyone knows anything
about the quality of ITT Technical Institute. I've looked into the colleges
around my area, and they have the exact courses I want to take, but I am
still alittle nervous. Any insight would be appreciated. Idea
kohlrabe
Most computer jobs are in Asia, but infact the number of Asian students in computer science in Europe increases. So we have hear in Akureyri four Asian students, two Chinese, one Russian and one Pakistani, who has already a Master degree in digital communication. So jobs turning to Asia, but education is in the west. Surely soon education will be in Asia.
driftingfe3s
I entered my university thinking I wanted to be a computer programer. After taking about a year of computer science classes I really didn't want to do it anymore. You should teach yourself some basic programming and see if you really like it. I enjoyed it at frist but it became very annoying and I grew to hate it. I eventualy switched my major to Biology and am happy with that.
exarkun
Although the classes I am taking is not related to programming, but I am learning it at the same time... Maybe because I think that web programming can be a freelance job.... Wink
Nikkori
Quote:
You should teach yourself some basic programming and see if you really like it. I enjoyed it at frist but it became very annoying and I grew to hate it.
Programming is Understanding. It takes patience if you want to learn it. You nead double curiosity and motivation to get your enthusiasm (E=MC*C) in learning programming.
Programming is like Talking--but to computers and machines. We learn other foreign language to communicate to foreigners, the same with learning Computer languages to communicate to Computers.

Quote:
Although the classes I am taking is not related to programming, but I am learning it at the same time... Maybe because I think that web programming can be a freelance job....
It isn't really programming what you are doing, although you make codes on it... it is Web Designing what you're doing indeed. Programming uses a Computer Language as an editor and needs a compiler to convert the codes you write on it to machine language in order for the computer to understand your source code. Whereas Web designing (designing a website) uses an Application/Software (which is a product of programming) such as a Notepad, Dreamweaver, etc. to write scripts and design a website.
Web Designing doesn't need a compiler, but a Web browser to translate and display the Hyper-text Mark-up Language. That's why it's easy to design a webpage than to make a program.
Nikkori
Quote:
Who wants to be a computer programmer?
Sorry I forgot... I want to be a Computer Programmer, anyway.
zplitstonez
Yeah, I reckon Nikkori is right... Anyway, I'm an Information Technology student...
Alias
What kind of Computer Programmer?

There are so many kinds of a Computer Programmer.

Me I want to be a Web Programmer because I like to see my programs and other web-based systems in the www. Also I want to share my knowledge to others.

Generally I want to be a Web Developer or a Database Designer.
HoboBarticus
Haha, swankkky! Other people like me. Well Im in my 3rd semester and my major is Computer Science:Programming. My plan is to go into game development, preferably console over PC.

True there are alot of jobs going overseas, but, if you are good, then you can get a job. Simple as that.
Nikkori
Though I'm Designing Webpages, I'm really enthusiastic in C/C++ Programming--I have my own games because of my obsession to it. I prefer programming games for my creativity than programming trojans and viruses.
By the way, I'm a beginner in Assembly Language Programming now, which I find it more powerful to instruct the computer's brain directly--I'm talking about the Processor!
zplitstonez wrote:
Yeah, I reckon Nikkori is right... Anyway, I'm an Information Technology student...
and I'm a Computer Engineering, anyway... Embarassed
sumangurung
When i was a kid i loved programming, infact anything to do with math and logic. And i think i did okey. I remember spending whole nights to finish off my projects and doing more than what was asked for.
ANd my current job has programming components. I develop softwares and i think i like it. The one thing i hate is there are so many languages and so many technologies, it is pretty hard to keep abreast of everything.
ANd to those people who love programming, let me tell you programming is the best mental excercise!!
sumangurung
When i was a kid i loved programming, infact anything to do with math and logic. And i think i did okey. I remember spending whole nights to finish off my projects and doing more than what was asked for.
ANd my current job has programming components. I develop softwares and i think i like it. The one thing i hate is there are so many languages and so many technologies, it is pretty hard to keep abreast of everything.
ANd to those people who love programming, let me tell you programming is the best mental excercise!!
monzoncf
I'm a college student and taking computer science and I'm from philippines. Many people says that Computer Science and Programming is diffucult to understand. Yes, thats true. Base on my own experience, that was to difficult to others, but for me it's kinda playing a game. Don't hesitate and afraid to try other things and explore everything. Don't memorize every line of code. If you do it repeatedly, maybe, you will memorize it. You can do such things like programming if you like it. Meaning, If you really like it and enjoying doing it you will feel much easier doing things like programming. Programming is not hard - just enjoy learning, enjoy the subject and you can do such fascinating softwares soon. Now, I'm in my 3rd Year College and expected to graduate next year. I hope this message will help you.
WickedGravity
I love to program and am completely self-taught off of O'Reily Books and intuition with the code.

I have bragged about it before, but I know just about all the languages, here is a brief, and yet I hope somewhat spread out list.

Ruby
Python
HTML
ASP.NET
Assembly
Pascal (Old School, Hell Yeah)
Jermore
you know all the languages??? haha, impossible. what about perl, c,c#,c++, VHDL, and all these other industry critical languages

good job though. I love programming I just need to find someone who will pay me to do it. I am an EE but working out in the field on transformers and crap like that. keep it up.
venkateshwarans
kohlrabe wrote:
Most computer jobs are in Asia, but infact the number of Asian students in computer science in Europe increases. So we have hear in Akureyri four Asian students, two Chinese, one Russian and one Pakistani, who has already a Master degree in digital communication. So jobs turning to Asia, but education is in the west. Surely soon education will be in Asia.

Till yesterday high end work was done in countries like u.s. What is done in Asia is actually the very basic part of the softwares. The situation is slowly changing and we are seeing high end jobs moving such countries. China is pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into educational institutions. India has the IITs. There is vast scope for the industry.

By the way, I am a computer engineer too. Doing my 3rd sem here. I am looking at embedded systems as my future.
Liu
I'm a fourth year computer science major, imo programming for the rest of your life is BORING.

Luckily, computer science lets you branch out into many fine areas besides just programming.
Darkfall
I'm going into some form of programming at the end of University.

At the moment, I decided to study at college instead of going straight to Uni so I'm doing a 4 year two-plus-two scheme where I take two advanced courses in college for two years and then I go to Robert Gordon's University into third year to do the last two years of a degree, which I'll continue on to do a Masters in.

My minimum wage when I get into employment will be 500 GBP/week minimum here in Scotland, roughly 24,000/year starting wage.

I'm happy with that.

Known languages:

HTML
PHP
Delphi (Visual)
Basic
Visual Basic (Visual)
PASCAL (Old school.)
COMAL (Even more so.)

Currently attempting to learn C++, but havnt even installed the environment yet... been too busy :]
Darkfall
Sorry, forgot to mention: I'm planning on either going into Computer Software Engineering or Computer Software for Games and Media Applications when I start the 3rd year of my plans after my two advanced courses at College.

I'm lazy so going to University this year was not an option :]
Alias
I wan't to be a Web Developer... I like developing those web-based applications like e-commerce, cms, forums, etc..

known scripting languages:

HTML
XML
WML
PHP
ASP
JavaScript
VBScript
Sephz0r
Alias wrote:
I wan't to be a Web Developer... I like developing those web-based applications like e-commerce, cms, forums, etc..

known scripting languages:

HTML
XML
WML
PHP
ASP
JavaScript
VBScript

Same!
bonestorm74
I did a degree in computer programming. To be honest, it didn't turn out to be my thing and I didn't enjoy it a whole lot. I went through a few other jobs and ended up doing computer support in a large organisation, been here for a good while now and I like the work. Has a bit of variety and I get to spend time away from my computer every day instead of plonking down in front of it for eight hours at a time.
creezalird
A Programmer is not my destination..I wanna be an engineer but with a lots of programming knowledge..
Just miss the old time..how it all worked
creezalird
After some time..I found out that programming just don't suit me well..
Its like fire and water..Very difficult to understand..
However I still want to be the part of the game..So I decided to take only programming in the webdesign which I think a little bit easier and simplier to understand compared to the totally programming language
Just a thought..though
absolutdani
I am a programmer, but little by little I am moving to a much more relaxed functional role.

Programming is all about understanding. If you understand it and have some patience, it will not be really hard to learn any language.

I have programmed in C#,VBasic.NET, Java and over all, Abap/4 and studied SQL and PL/SQL, C, Progress(urgh!!!) and now I am learning to use Dreamweaver.

In the beggining it is not really a nice job, at least here in Spain: really bad salary, many extra hours, stress, but with some time it becomes a nice job for a liveng.
jayrelle
Hmm.. I am a graduate of computer science in one of the universities here in the Philippines.. I love to program but I am not a programmer, I ended up being an IT Instructor but its okay because I am still handling the capstone project class, or the thesis subject.. Wink
jeanoradean
I also used to be computer programmer but I actually thought it was a pretty boring job...being inside all of the time, sitting at the computer all day, not a lot of different things to do. I thought the days passed by quite slowly!
ujhan
I was a computer programmer/designer for about 4 years. I say was because I moved away from the city and live in the country where there aren't many programming jobs. I have to say that I really enjoyed the software design and project implementation - had some fantastic jobs along the way too!

What I found with programming is you really need a problem to solve before you start even thinking about writing code - just like when you use a computer; people think they need a computer, but don't really have an application for it - so it just sits there. When someone needs to manage a bank account for example, and they can access it via the internet, the computer becomes useful - same goes for writing code...

Like some of the previous posters said, try it and see what you think - but my advice is first think of what you would like the computer to do that it doesn't already do (and think of something small) and then go about desiging the software from there...

ujhan.
Sneemaster
I'm a programmer, but the market is always tricky. You always have to stay on top of things, and there are always others with more skill in some language. I know tons of stuff, but not a master at any. For my experience:
Visual Basic 6,
VBA,
VB.Net,
T-SQL,
C++,
C#,
Perl,
DirectX/OpenGL,
Javascript,
VBscript,
and a little ASP.
bassman
I really love to program. I'm a CS major, so I've been doing a lot of it over the past five years. I love how you get instant gratification, the satisfaction of solving a (usually) practical problem, and the excitement of discovering a new or elegant solution to your problem. I also like how you are able to work with others to solve problems and such. Right now I have a consulting job, but I'm hoping maybe in the future to be a more traditional developer.
Eneru
I'm a programmer too, but still a beginner. It's pretty nice to be working with professionals and those who has a lot of experience. Getting along with them helps me to learn more. When I'm still studying I don't know anything about PHP/MySQL, but when I started to work I learned bunch of things I didn't thought I'd be learning.
creezalird
I'm just still in progress in learning c language...it seems pretty tough...anyway I must do it well coz it really needed in my studies as electrical engineering
cvkien
i also want to be a programmer. but i'm a psychology student. anyway before i study psychology, i have good computer skills. and i tend to learn computer myself. but currently i take visual basic as my minor course. so, i only know a little with visual basic, flash action script, php and Javascript. i wish to learn more, but i guess programming language like C++ or C need a guide from someone who are expert on it.

so, can i know what is the best way to learn programming??
dramaking
I like programming when I was in High School taking VB class. This is the only class that I felt interested! Hahahaa... Also, that's what make me wanna get in a University because I think I wanna get into software engineering field. When I was in undergraduate, I did face the difficulties on computer science courses... However, after some hard courses, then I really realize that I love programming a lot! Now, I plan to apply for graduate school in computer science!
OptionAuto
Programming, where to begin?
I am a software devleoper. It isn't something I chose to do, I don't feel - it was something that chose me. I have always been a problem solver. The neat thing about programming is the sense of accomplishment you get after you have been slamming your head against code all day long and you finally get it. When you do, that feeling is second to none. The reference has already been made to it being like a foreign language. I like that reference, because although I have always been a problem solver, I really really suck at math. I was always in AP, Advanced, whatever, English classes, and did AP Latin all 4 years of high school.

Developing isn't just about writing the code and busting the problem, either. I also like the look on customers faces when you can see that little light bulb go off in thier head that says "Oh my God, I can use this, it works, and it solved my problem!" The decent money (65k/year out grad school) is only a perk. That timeless expression is the reward.

Luke.
radosdesign
I'm software developer too. I really like to solve problems also. But what I know is that I don't want to work in "implementation" too long. Its good for the beginning to grab some experience, but in future I would like to work as consultant or designer. Its more challenging and you don't need to "play" with all these details as you do during implementation... What do you think?
Coclus
I don't because I don't think I'm good enough.
suppastar
Coclus wrote:
I don't because I don't think I'm good enough.

Don't be so hard on yourself, I honestly think being a good programmer is more about hard work and dedication than it is about intelligence or innate talent. Sure you need certain skills, but those can all be learned. Get a few good programming books, take a class or two, and if it's something you really love, then you won't have a choice really.

That's how I started, back in my sophomore year in high school. I've been programming professionally now for about 8 years, and I think it has more to do with me catching the programming bug than being smarter or better than anyone else. Like others have mentioned, all it took to get me hooked was seeing other people use and enjoy what I wrote.
zplitstonez
hello guys...it's been so long since i've posted again.....

well i really like to be java programmer, but the books here are pretty expensive...

so, as of now I want to be a web designer/creator....

i spent a lot of time, looking for websites that are knowledgeable...
and if i found one, i try to browse it and explore it deeper, i want to learn more about macromedia dreamweaver, CSS, and Flash....

Is CSS, dreamweaver and flash a programming language?
I really want to be a professional on this field...

So if you could help me, i would to thank you in advance...
thank you very much...
chris20
I'm 16, and I currently have a job as a programmer/web designer. I can program in PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, Perl, HTML, VB.NET/VB6, Javascript, SQL, CSS, Flash/Actionscript, and have experience working with MSSQL and MySql databases. I'm 100% self-taught and have never taken any classes on the subject, and am pretty damn proficient at programming. Anyway, I'm posting because if you are really interested in programming or web design, you should definitely do an internship or do some on site job experience type thing. It will really help you find out if you are interested in it or not. While I do love my job and I do love programming, I've found out that I just couldn't do it as a career. Luckily, I'm still in high school and have time to explore some more careers. I think what I'm going to do is be a chemistry major at college, and a computer science minor, and then for a career, I will do freelance programming jobs on the side. Like I said before though, you need to get an internship as a programmer or something like that to really see if its for you, and if you will not be completely bored by it. It DOES get kind of monotonous when you sit at a computer 8 hours or more a day.

Well... hope this helps out any future programmers, and if you have any questions about where to look for internships or something, just private message me.

EDITED POST:::
To answer zplitstonez question from before. CSS stands for cascading stylesheets. It allows you to style your html markup. For example, you can change colors/styles of backgrounds, fonts, etc etc. Basically, css controls what the site looks like. Dreamweaver is a program made by Macromedia that aids in the creation of websites. I use it most of the time for projects that I do in php, I really like the interface. Flash kind of is a programming language. Flash itself has no programming involved at all, it is just a way to animate things, but you can use Actionscript with it to have better control of the way your movie works. Actionscript is very similar to c++/java programming, so if you learn one, it will help with learning the others. In my opinion though, flash and actionscript is very difficult to understand, maybe that is just me though, I don't use flash that much for web design anyway, since I like non-flash websites. If you are interested in web design, definitely learn html and css first. After that, I would move to a server side language like php, or a client side language like javascript.
frozenhead
Well, I'm a computer programmer for quite some time (freelance). I do a wide range of applications from web to simple stand - alone applications. A lot of stress but really satisfying at the same time.

My skillset are the following (in general):
- VBA
- CSS
- PHP
- ASP
- .NET
- Java
- C/C++/C#
- SQL
- Actionscripts (Flash)
paulbarter2
I am a computer programmer (java) and really enjoy the work. I work in EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer), so that involves everything that happens after you swipe your credit card. I find the work stimulating and challenging. It is clean and logical which appeals to me (unlike my wife who is a doctor - sometimes it gets messy!)
loophole64
Programming is one of those jobs that a lot of people end up not liking after they start doing it as a job instead of doing it for fun. You have to really get a kick out of programming to be able to sit at a desk and do it 8 hours a day. I agree with OptionAuto that the best thing about it is that great feeling you get after you run into a problem and you bash your brains trying to solve it and finally get it done. It's a wonderful feeling. I imagine a carpenter would feel the same after finishing a nice piece of furniture.

The idea that all jobs are going over seas is somewhat of a myth. While it's true that many jobs have gone overseas, there is still a demand for programmers. Several years ago it seemed that the idea that programming jobs were going overseas was public knowledge, so people stopped going into the field. Now there is a shortage. I get calls from headhunters every week looking to fill jobs and I don't even have a degree. If you are without a job, you probably just need to learn something that is currently in high demand. Like right now, for instance, .Net is in very high demand, so if you learn it, you will certainly be hit up for a job.

One thing that has become clear to me is that most programmers are people that are good problem solvers. They make their career as programmers at first, but because they are good at solving all kinds of problems, and they have one of the best problem solving tools at their disposal; programming, they tend to do other things later on. Like Liu said, it let's you branch out. Writing code is almost like grunt work, that you do at first, but as you move along, you end up managing things at higher levels, or you start designing entire systems instead of just writing code.

To the person who said he knows almost all the languages, sorry but I had to giggle a little. You know a lot, but there are so many programming languages. Here's a list of many:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabetical_list_of_programming_languages

I would like to list some resources that I have gathered over the years for those of you who are looking to learn programming, or advance your knowledge. One of the greatest things about programming is the wealth of knowledge available on the internet about it.

Java
Java is considered a good first programming language to learn by many. If you want to get started learning to program, Java may be a good place to start.

Extensive Java Tutorial/Course by Bradley Kjell.
http://chortle.ccsu.edu/java5/cs151java.html

Java Development Kit (JDK). These are the bare minimums needed to write Java software.
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Eclipse: A beautiful, free IDE for Java development. Use this in combination with the JDK.
http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.2.2-200702121330/index.php

C/C++
One of the most widely used languages on the planet. If you don't learn this first, you should really learn it eventually. I will list several tutorials, because you never know which one will make you 'get' it.

AzureFenrir's C++ Introduction
I like this guys intro to C++ at Gaming World. It's very clear.
http://www.gamingw.net/tutorials/517

Coronado Enterprises C Tutorial
One of the most extensive C tutorials I know of. It's often easier to learn C before learning C++, which incorporates object oriented concepts.
http://www.coronadoenterprises.com/tutorials/c/index.html

Introduction to C++ programming
A course from the Imperial College London on programming in C++. This is a fairly comprehensive introduction.
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~wjk/C++Intro/RobMillerL1.html

Introduction to C++ programming
This guy wrote a pretty good intro to C++ programming. He uses the Borland compiler, but the material will work with any standard compiler.
http://intro2cpp.tripod.com/

Bloodshed Dev-C++
A free C/C++ IDE. Use this to write and compile code. Me likey.
http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

Instructions for compiling a program in Dev-C++:
http://www.cprogramming.com/compiler.html

Windows Programming
Information about programming with the Windows Application Programming Interface(API), sometimes referred to as Win32 programming. This API is the basic building blocks of windows programming.

TheForger's Win32 Tutorial
Excellent tutorial on windows programming.
http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

Win32 Programming at FunctionX
Good Win32 tutorials for many aspects of Win32 programming.
http://www.functionx.com/win32/

Windows API Reference
Microsoft's complete reference to the Windows API.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383749.aspx

Game Programming
For those who are interested in writing video games.

Beginners Guide to writing games
This is a general guide giving advice on writing games at GameDev.net.
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

Guide on getting into game development
This guide is more about breaking into the business than actually writing games.
http://www.gamecareerguide.com/getting_started/

DirectX 9 Tutorial
Begins with Win32 basics and goes through several aspects of programming with DirectX. For people who allready know how to program in C++.
http://www.directtutorial.com/DX9/dx9.php

DirectX Tutorial
Direct X is an API used to write games. You can use any number of programming languages to write Direct X programs. This one uses C#. There are also C++ Direct X tutorials, and XNA tutorials. XNA is kind of like the new Direct X.
http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/DirectX/Csharp/Series1/tut1.php

General Resource Sites
Sites with quality forums, programming articles, and tutorials.

Code Project
Check out the message boards.
http://www.codeproject.com/

Dev Guru
Great reference site. I use this regularly for looking up HTML, CSS, and JavaScript syntax.
http://www.devguru.com

Programmer's Heaven
All kinds of information.
http://www.programmersheaven.com/

W3 Schools
Many good tutorials from the World Wide Web Consortium.
http://www.w3schools.com/
Flakky
Nice list Laughing

I am a starting computer programmer and I team up with a friend of mine who can make some nifty DLL's and together with him I want to make something which is impressive, in fact, I am trying to defeat html, php and all others by launching my own new language for internet browsing, but for security treats it hasn't been launched at all. The browser will be free for everyone to download and will be the only browser and we can make money by placing a small banner which all browser users will see.

Future planning,... Hope they'll all work, the major problem is getting a place in the world so everyone can use my creation. Which programmer will spend valuable time in some unknown language?

I have been a programmer for 5 years (I am 14) and I started by programming in the simple MSW Logo language. This is some kind of language you can make drawings with.
I managed to make a game out of that language which is rare, but still crappy (search for it yourself to see how crappy Wink ). Now I am learning multiple languages like HTML and PHP.

And for all game programmers, there are a lot of online companies who are welcome to sell your game (http://www.reflexive.com for example).
zplitstonez
hello everyone,
thank you very much for your post,

good bye.
getgag
I'm not a programmer.
I'm learning PHP now. Smile
CyberSpic
I cant decide what to learn. I know Visual C but i want to learn web programing maybe Java or... Any
Code:
sugesstion
s aprecetiated ........................................................................................ THX[/u][/i][/b]