FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Angels and Demons VS. The DaVinci Code

ahaug
Angels and Demons is 40 times better then The DaVinci Code. Any thoughts??
joxang
Not really...but they are his two best books. His others are way way way way too ridiculous.

Angels and Demons is excellent...atmospheric, scary and great plot ideas though the last few chapters and the ending are a bit melodramatic (like his other books).

The Da Vince Code is faster moving, more exciting, and has a decent enoguh ending.

If I had to choose between them I'd pick the latter due to its all round polish but neither are truly great books.
Revvion
Tottaly agree angels and demons is a much beter book
Shike
Well if you look at both books as having the same basic plotline, I think Angels and Demons does a better job of taking you through the mythology (although created mythology) of the Illuminati and you "see" it everywhere in the book.

The Da Vinci Code doesn't put the symbolism (in real life structures) in front of the reader, they are alluded to and described, because the Priori, as an organization, was far more secretive about their symbols where they did place them in public places.
evanc88
I enjoyed Angels and Demons much more as a thriller, as a book with some literary merit, and as a book that is interesting in and of itself. I liked it Very Happy
Shewolf
Shike wrote:
Well if you look at both books as having the same basic plotline, I think Angels and Demons does a better job of taking you through the mythology (although created mythology) of the Illuminati and you "see" it everywhere in the book.

The Da Vinci Code doesn't put the symbolism (in real life structures) in front of the reader, they are alluded to and described, because the Priori, as an organization, was far more secretive about their symbols where they did place them in public places.

And if you look at the plot in the two books they are build in the same manner. In the same template, fitting into patterns. So you can pretty much guess what's around the corner, if you have read one of them, and now are reading the other.
But "Angels and Demons" are much better written, in my opinion. I had a much better experience reading that book. In the "Da Vinci Code" you feel that the authour has taken short cuts, just to make the book simpler to read. In "Angels and Demons" you don't get the same feel.
MirekB
ahaug wrote:
Angels and Demons is 40 times better then The DaVinci Code. Any thoughts??

I agree with you. For me Angels and Demons is more worht reading then The daVinci Code. There is more complex plot and very good ending. But I think that oneself impression about superiority of one of these books rely on which one you read first.
Shike
Shewolf wrote:
In the "Da Vinci Code" you feel that the authour has taken short cuts, just to make the book simpler to read. In "Angels and Demons" you don't get the same feel.

I completely agree with you on this. Smile
afterglow
Angels and Demons are one of the best books that I have ever ever read. This had a great plot and the descriptions on every scene is just so detailed. I love the gruesome feeling of the killings and stuff, whereas in the Davinci Code, the seires of the events are so fast that you wont have time to react to the scene of whatever it is.

I first read the Angels and Demons then the Davinci Code and I can say that its a gazillion times better than any Dan Brown's books. Cool
JoeFriday
I'd go along with most of the comments here.. I read A&D first, and then read Da Vinci Code a month later.. A&D seemed to have more twists to the plot, and brought the reader in better to visualize things

Da Vinci Code seemed like an easy way to capitalize on a previous concept.. introduce a new 'bad guy' and change the location.. sort of the literary equivalent of Rocky 2, 3, 4, etc

just outta curiosity, has anyone seen the Da Vinci Code movie? what was your impression, having read the book, too?
Cov3r70ps
I loved the Divinci Code, as it was very interesting, but after reading Angels and Demons, Davincia Code doesn't even compare. Very Happy
benwhite
I've found that most people like whichever book they read first. My father though DVC was a much more mature book and though A&D was amateurish. I felt the Angels and Demons was a much more satisfying book on the whole, though also more ridiculous and far fetched.

Still, digital fortress is practically not worth reading. Same pattern but nothing filling inside. Like eating a plastic donut.
JoeFriday
yeah, Digital Fortress wasn't in the same league.. and Deception Point was about the same as DF, altho perhaps just slightly better

what's everyone's opinion of the claim that Dan Brown stole the premise of DVC from previous novels?
ck88
I prefer The Da Vinci Code. Not because of the hype but because I found the background of the story much more intriguing.
Shike
ck88 wrote:
I prefer The Da Vinci Code. Not because of the hype but because I found the background of the story much more intriguing.

Wow, I'm failry agreeable with most people on this board. Cool. Smile

I have to agree, the subject matter is very intriguing, but I think A&D is better written.
JamesBond
i found angels better as its plot is a little more believable than da vinci code.
da vinci code, in my vies was totally a work of fiction. also, there are more twists in angels. though i have to admit that both the books had a little bad endings.
evanc88
In my opinion, while most of Dan Brown's fiction is fun to read, he doesn't write "literary fiction." Instead, he is sort of a master of "commercial fiction," which means he can write real page turners that don't make the reader think too much about his or her life, or doesn't make the reader realize a truth about life. Some of Brown's novels make the reader think a bit, but most of the messages he shows are cliched. This doesn't make his books bad--on the contrary, his books appeal to millions for a reason--it's just that I wish he applied more literary merit to his novels. I've read them all, however, and I like Angels and Demons best, with Deception Point in a close second.
HoboPelican
Man, glad I read this topic. I never read the Code, but I read A&D and Deception point. I thought both were awful, so if that was his best, I guess I don't have to worry about the Code.

There was just so much unbelievable stuff in both books that I just couldn't enjoy them.
Subsonic Sound
I did enjoy Da Vinci Code more than Angels and Demons, but I think that's just because I hadn't yet grown sick of his writing style. Smile

I quite enjoyed Code, but by about half way into Angels I was just getting sick of the way he writes - he has an unhealthy addiction to cliffhangers, forcing them in whether or not they fit, work, or make sense. And his characters are little more than cardboard cutout stereotypes.

Sir Leigh Teabing. I mean really.

I managed to get to the end of Angels and Demons, but I won't be reading any more of his books.
Shike
JamesBond wrote:
i found angels better as its plot is a little more believable than da vinci code.

I have to actually disagree here, as I actually do not believe that Christ was a god. With that I actually like the subject matter in the Da Vinci Code.

Subsonic Sound wrote:
I quite enjoyed Code, but by about half way into Angels I was just getting sick of the way he writes - he has an unhealthy addiction to cliffhangers, forcing them in whether or not they fit, work, or make sense. And his characters are little more than cardboard cutout stereotypes.

I have to agree with you here. His style does get very repetitive and eventually all his stories end up seeming the same.
ItsWesley
I totally agree that Angels and Demons is the better book, although I did get them mixed up when i was watching the movie, Dan brown has some similarities in his plots.
PriDe
in my opinion Angels and demons has a more complex storyline then DaVinci and is being written in greate detail however it introduces a rather sci-fi concept with that antimatter stuff which is rather rediclious. It would seem fun to read about for some sci-fi lover like me however it totally degrades the credibility that even something like this can ever REMOTELY have some grain of truth in it. On the other hand DaVinci has stayed clear of stuff like this which makes the story less farfetched then in angels and demons which is why i think that has made it more populare in the end!

i don't agree with

Quote:
Not really...but they are his two best books. His others are way way way way too ridiculous.

however...digital fortress is quite good. has a lot of computer related concepts that might be too technical but that is what make a book like digital fortress good. I must agree that the other book ain't that great thou.

having said all that i think will can all agree that Dan brown's books required a lot of research before-hand and with all the incredible detail make a lot of his work wonderfull passtime
mialynavahy
hum i prefer Da Vinci code, Angels and Demons is very good, scary, suspensful, a little bit melodramatic,but da vinci code (the book not the movie) is more exciting, and near from the reality (you dont know what is real and what not), a big controverse, yes, they are his two best books. I dont like Deception Point, too long, no story, i agree a little bit ridiculous... But he is always a very good writer.
Soulfire
I haven't read Angels and Demons yet, but I recently finished the Davinci Code. Even though the Davinci Code challenged my beliefs, I was able to recognize that it was fiction, and enjoy the story (regardless of how slanderous is was of God).