FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

There are legal uses for BitTorrent...

JBotAlan
Hello,

Please read this; don't just assume what I'm saying is bad. Don't pooh-pooh a technology until you see its potential.

I just saw a thread about BitTorrent that was locked--nobody is willing to discuss this topic. I realize that the terms of service say that this is not allowed, but do you realize the legal uses for such a service?

I am part of FIRST Robotics (www.usfirst.org) and they have an event called "kickoff" where the object of the year's game is revealed. Since this is a national event, FIRST puts a copy of the video on their website. This is a 200-300 meg file, and quickly brings their server to its knees. BitTorrent can ease the use of bandwidth in one place; and a tracker would be very helpful.

So my question is: why not? If we're found to be hosting illegal files, or there are entries in our trackers to illegal files, ban us. There's no reason to shut BitTorrent down--it alleviates use of bandwidth on your side, and is entirely beneficial.

Please consider this.
JBot
Animal
Frihost does not allow you to use Bit Torrent content on your hosting account or discuss it on the forums. This is simply because of the high likliehood for abuse. There are several good uses for Bit Torrent such as the distribution if full Linux ISO images. However, due to the amount of time it would take for us to constantly monitor any Torrent-related content on the server, and the high server load and potential down-time trackers would cause, Torrent related content would never be allowed.

The rules and TOS are there - you have to agree to these before you sign up, and I'm afraid that Torrents will never be allowed on Frihost.

-close-