FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ADSL

sonam
Yeh,
after looooooong, long time I got ADSL and now I am back on work on my site stuff and posting in this forum. Very Happy
It is preety nice when I can't worry about time on internet, download time, etc... Cool It is great eksperience after dial up.

Sonam
djwayno
lol welcome to the new world. I could imagine your relief after getting adsl compared to that hell (Dial Up)
generalgazz
Wow, long time since I left dial up.

There no going back once you got adsl.
What speed did you get? I am currently on a 16meg connection and its great... I can download a full movie in around 15 minutes Very Happy
sonam
Quote:
lol welcome to the new world.

That's true, Internet world. I have 100Mbps, but I have limit on 1 GB transfer per month.

Sonam
icecold
dial up wow that was before i was born (joke) Smile Yes Adsl is much better and the speed are very high. And playing multiplayer games is a plasure with adsl. So welcome 2 the new world of surfing through the internet Cool
Aless
Agreed. Dial-up is very "out", since for the vast majority of industrialised countries, broadband is both affordable and widely convenient.
Loghete
When we got an Internet connection a long time ago, we got dial-up at first.. But we just had it like ˝ year before we switched to ADSL. We've still got 8/1 MBit/sec with no limit.
rightclickscott
I still use dialup on my crappy computer, which is actually the one I run the Daily Guess A Number Game with, but if I could use a better connection, I would. However, I still have a broadband connection which has just made everything easier, and more fun, like playing Metal Gear Online. Oh yeah, it's spelled experience, for future reference.
ncwdavid
I remember the day I came home and I found out that we got Broadband. I hated that dial up becuase the speed and I was never allowed on the internet for long times.
djwayno
i know that many companys now like SKy TV are launching broadband through their satalited.

Surley this would be a lot faster than ADSL. So soon ADSL would fade like dialup.
dz9c
whats adsl? no faster than my cable i can tell that much
okullar
Look at this movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_oSO9qttSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_oSO9qttSE
scotty
Lol, I like the movie!

generalgazz wrote:

What speed did you get? I am currently on a 16meg connection and its great... I can download a full movie in around 15 minutes Very Happy

Australia is a bit behind the times it seems. Max download speed I can get is ~5-600 KB/s Sad

I have Bigpond cable internet and each node runs at 20 Megabits/s supposedly but you share it with everyone in your street.
roadruner
i remember the first day i got adsl Smile
i just had to go and test the download speed to the max Wink
sonam
Quote:
i know that many companys now like SKy TV are launching broadband through their satalited.

I am sure ADSL is not the best, but for me this is something like F1 after Dial Up walking.

@okullar
Movie is cool!

Sonam
soulman
ASDL is cool... end up my dial-up online time...
Daniel15
Quote:
Australia is a bit behind the times it seems. Max download speed I can get is ~5-600 KB/s

That's still an awesome speed... I'm quite happy with my ADSL connection (1.5Mb/s down, 256Kb/s up, via TPG Internet [AU$49.95 per month])

I can't wait until I get ADSL2+ though (which is up to 24Mb/s down Very Happy)
Aless
And the worst bit about dial-up (besides the extreme slowness of it), is it's difficult to have that always-on connection, unless you pay for the extra phone line. And if you don't, you've got to be careful because someone might be trying to phone while you're surfing!
scotty
Ahhhh I'm happy I kissed dial-up goodbye lets see in 1999 and I've had broadband ever since! That's 8 years by the way!!
pelin
i hated dial-up.i could not download anything,and the phone bill was always big.now with adsl i am downloading a lot of gb.
scotty
I have a 10 GB download limit and right now I have to last another 6 days with only 1,300 MB!!!!! Oh I complain too much.

I remember back when they brought in "unlimited" plans (throttled after 10 GB) they didn't have the technology to restrict out download speeds to 64kbps so people were downloading crazy amounts. I did something like 37 GB but I knew a guy the blew 125 GB!!!

Anyone here have true unlimited broadband (speed greater than 512kpbs)?
Daniel15
Quote:
I remember back when they brought in "unlimited" plans

Ah, "Unlimited" plans. It seems that Australia is one of the only countries to have these sorts of plans ("Unlimited", but shaped after a while). In most other countries, they only say "Unlimited" when it truly is unlimited.

At least it's better than paying extra. I feel sorry for people which are sucked in to Dodo's plans... Their $9.90 plan only has 40 MB of downloads, with excess charged at 15 cents per megabyte (and no capping).

Quote:
Anyone here have true unlimited broadband (speed greater than 512kpbs)?

My friend has a true unlimited 1.5Mb/s connection with TPG Internet (their "Business" plan).
scotty
I hate your friend. Razz
monzoncf
i've got my ADSL Too!!!
pelin
monzoncf wrote:
i've got my ADSL Too!!!

congrats to you !!!
jayandsilo
scotty wrote:
Lol, I like the movie!

generalgazz wrote:

Australia is a bit behind the times it seems. Max download speed I can get is ~5-600 KB/s Sad

I have Bigpond cable internet and each node runs at 20 Megabits/s supposedly but you share it with everyone in your street.

why would you use telstra, they're shit. I'm in Townsville Qld but we get adsl2 now, around 1000kbs and 100gig a month for 50 bucks.

oh yeah i forgot to say, shaped to 512 after 100 gig haha
generalgazz
Download limits.... I hate them.
I had to chose an unlimited package and it was only Ł5 more per month as I knew I would exceed my limits within the forst 2 weeks otherwise.
Shiva
djwayno wrote:
lol welcome to the new world.

I'll say the same.. Here in Denmark we have got ADSL as the normal internet connection since before this century, just to be honest Wink

I accually can't remember HOW slow the dial up connections was.. But quite slow I can imagin!! Wink
sonam
Quote:
Download limits.... I hate them.

Me too, but this packet 12 Euro is more cheap then Flat solution 40 Euro.

Code:
I'll say the same.. Here in Denmark we have got ADSL as the normal internet connection since before this century, just to be honest.

Yes, but I am not in Denmark Wink
R2.DETARD
Australia is a bitch for internet, but soon they are changing the CDMA (cell phone) network to carry an internet signal instead, bringing at least 512kb to rural Australia.

Here in Germany, i have 1mb down 128kb unltd. ADSL for €21 a month.
My ISP goes up to 36,000kb/s in big cities (such as mine), but it isn't worth the cost.
At least with my ISP's pricing system it is easy to understand, €X a month line rental (varys depending on speed) and €5 monthly on top for unlimited access.
konflikt
Clearwire. 'Nuff said.

Although, cable has it beat hands down. 6megs for starters, always on, no glitches....its just beautiful. But I got this new Clearwire thing, which is pre-WiMax wireless technology that is running at about 1.5megs/sec. And I have phone service with it(VoIP rocks!!).
monzoncf
Broadband ULIMITED service still the best. You can download as many file as you want and you can also download the biggest file size as you want. As long as your speed is higher. Here in Philippines they can only offer 512kbps in residential gateway. I'm so jelous to the people who have a higher speed like in your country.
scotty
jayandsilo wrote:
scotty wrote:
Lol, I like the movie!

generalgazz wrote:

why would you use telstra, they're ****. I'm in Townsville Qld but we get adsl2 now, around 1000kbs and 100gig a month for 50 bucks.

oh yeah i forgot to say, shaped to 512 after 100 gig haha

Well you have a better deal I guess except my bandwidth is a lot higher, it is running at ~3,000 kbps right now which is peak time but once I go past 10 GB it goes to 64 kbps. I can only assume it would be faster at other times.

R2.DETARD wrote:
Australia is a bitch for internet, but soon they are changing the CDMA (cell phone) network to carry an internet signal instead, bringing at least 512kb to rural Australia.

Here in Germany, i have 1mb down 128kb unltd. ADSL for €21 a month.
My ISP goes up to 36,000kb/s in big cities (such as mine), but it isn't worth the cost.
At least with my ISP's pricing system it is easy to understand, €X a month line rental (varys depending on speed) and €5 monthly on top for unlimited access.

My dad just recently got that CDMA wireless thing. $14 a month for 10 hours. I don't know how the speed goes but it works anywhere in Australia including at my farm Shocked internet in the 150 year old farm house!

The speed test I used can be found here:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/broadband/speedtest.htm
schaefer
no one here tried SDSL?
I'm thinking about ordering that insted of a bigger ADSL connection (now got 1,5 down on my ADSL)
sonam
Quote:

I am tested my speed and it is:

328 kbps

Sonam
scotty
I guess you need to find a test located within your country.
Daniel15
Quote:

Well, I got 729 Kb/s on that test (however, my laptop is downloading something at about the same speed at the moment, so it isn't really a true value. If you add them both together, you get close to 1.5Mb/s).

One of my favourite speed test sites is http://speedtest.net/ . You can choose a mirror close to you. Note that the Sydney and Melbourne servers on that site are sometimes slow... It's probably best to use the Canberra server. http://www.ozspeedtest.com/ is another good one.
dimpim
I have an ADSL connection in Italy - from an italian provider of course - and it's not really fast. I mean, it's fine, but for 25 euros per month I think it should be faster.
Unfortunately the ADSL market in Italy still needs to grow, so the offers are pretty much all the same.
arkebuzer
how fast internetconnection you need is depending on what you use it for..
Personally I play a lot of poker online, and then I dont need a fast internet, but it has to be really reliable.
Anyways, congratulations to your new internet connection, enjoy Smile
jabapyth
ive had DSL for a while now, and i LOVE IT. Very Happy
seanooi
I used to have dial-up, but that was like 5 years ago.
I still remember the first day i got ADSL, i stayed glued to the computer for almost a whole day clicking around and looking at how fast sites load.

Then just last year I moved up to cable. I was so thrilled for the first few weeks, then I slowly began to feel bored cause of not knowing what else to do besides downloading and video streaming Laughing
jongoldsz
welcome to the high speed community. Even though a jump from Dial-up to DSL is a big jump, soon DSL is going to become the new dial up, as Cable and Fiber dominates the internet.
neji
I have cable here, and 'cause most of the people in my strat have adsl or are old and do not have a pc, i can enjoy the speed of my internet Smile
When i should take adsl it would be slowwer 'cause we live at the end of the telephone central zone thing...

Also Telenet (the company who owns like 99% of the cable network here in Belgium) has upgraded the network here (we where one of the first wehre the "mach 3" project started) so the speed is also hell more higher than a moth ago Smile

Specs
10 Mbps Downloading
&
256 Kbps uploading

@Telenet for €41,95/month
Enough for me Smile