FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Remote Desktop

jarred89
Hello,
When I am at school I would like to be able to use remote desktop to access my home computer at school. But i would like it to be web based so i can just log into my computer at school from internet explorer. Can somone please tell me how i could do this or is there some program out there that can do it. Thanks
Jaan
I don't think that's possible mate. Your school probably has filters/firewalls, so no outgoing connections are allowed.
Other than that, I really dunno. Try Google, my friend.
muggle
It depends on the operating system you’re running. Since you’re asking about remote desktop I assume you’re running Windows.
Here you are a link describing how to install Remote Desktop Web Connection.
Another tool you can use is VNC, Tight VNC for example.
And here you are a link to a Free Web-based VNC Viewer.
Regarding outgoing connection, it’s highly possible that it won’t be a problem. If you have access to the internet at all, you should have access to your computer also.
Of course you have to know the IP address of your computer and the access to it has to be allowed by your ISP and by the network devices (e.g. DSL modem, router etc) you’re using at home.
jwellsy
Is your home pc a windows 98 or XP machine?
That has always made a difference,
the few times I've done it.
jarred89
I have Windows XP
Reyntjensw
like jaan said, you won't be able to access your home computer!
the firewalls at school are really good (thats to bad), at my school the firewall won't allow ftp access only with 1 program to 1 host, that's all!
You can ask the system admin of your school if its possible or not, you can try
TomS
I should be glad, that I'm on a german school. There's nothing like a firewall. We only have a 30 dyas testversion of a antivirus program Laughing
What do you wanna do with it? I mean, I cant't think of any use of accessing my home pc from school... For filetransmitting I would vote for a ftp-server on your home pc.
A VNC doesn't mind firewalls or port-blocking. That's why they were invented.
So the mentionend program Tight-VNC would be a good solution for a real "Remote-Desktop".
tar-xzv
Ok,

Let's complicate thing a lot more Very Happy. Schools block ports like 22, 5900 etc. I let my sshd listen on port 443. Most co. & schools don't block it because its https. I make a tunnel with ssh and forward traffic to the box that I'm at.

You would have to be running sshd at home as well. Tunneling RDC and VNC traffic makes your traffic more encrypted and secure. I wasn't able to connect home from one place only, all of them were corporate/enterprise co btw.

This place was a bank and they were running a MS Proxy. Now, I didn't want to poke too much of course to compromise the network, neither should you.

Every time that you connect like this, you have to think security. Am I right? Can you session be hi-jacked?

School firewalls? Depends what school you are going to. George Brown, Toronto, as if it has no fw at all! I was able to use RDC and VNC-ssh also.

Have fun,
5ani
coolaliasgar
You need to use various remote support services such as logmeinrescue, gosupportnow, GoToMyPC etc. in order to remotely access your home computer from school computer over internet.
mathiaus
muggle wrote:
Another tool you can use is VNC, Tight VNC for example.

I would highly recommend TightVNC as it comes with a web Java based viewer. Install and ten configure java viewer port as port 80. Configure your firewall/router to allow incoming port 80 connections (port forwarding if required). If your ISP doesn't give you a static IP address use a Dynamic DNS via your router or install on your PC.
This is your best chance I think. Smile
lvnvmatt
I would suggest using a tool like logmein or team viewer. another option may be to run a portable version of RDP from a thumb-drive depending on the PC security policy.
amagard
I have been reading about Chrome Remote Desktop recently. May be a working solution for you ?
zaxacongrejo
amagard wrote:
I have been reading about Chrome Remote Desktop recently. May be a working solution for you ?

thanks didnt knew about this
badai
just use vnc and set it to accept connection on port 80. unless your school use proxy, you would have no problem.

chrome is like teamviewer. you need somebody at the other side to initiate a connection.
amagard
Another tool is mentioned here in this recent Lifehacker article, look under header "Access Your Home Computer From Just About Anywhere": TeamViewer.
zaxacongrejo
amagard wrote:
Another tool is mentioned here in this recent Lifehacker article, look under header "Access Your Home Computer From Just About Anywhere": TeamViewer.

ive used teamviewer pro and logmein but chrome i didnt know about it