FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Looking for MS Outlook Alternatives

OnlyOneLife
I'm looking for a MS Outlook alternatives, If anyone knows any, speak up! Surprised
I'm looking for software for organization, like calanders, journal, reminders.
S3nd K3ys
Mozilla

Quote:
Mail & Newsgroups

Junk mail controls helps you take back control of your e-mail from spammers. Mozilla's adaptive junk mail control gets smarter with use and is personalized to the e-mail that you receive.

Manage your mail with customizable Labels and Mail Views. Color code your e-mail to help you prioritize. Sort your mail with views to help you through your e-mail much faster.

Mozilla supports Multiple Accounts to help you manage all your mail through one interface.

Mozilla Messenger includes Enterprise ready features such as S/MIME, return receipts, LDAP support, and digital signing.
modak
If you are on windows then you won't have one program to do it all. Mozilla Thunderbird and Sunbird combined will work very well for you.

If you can use Linux, use Evolution.

Hope that helps
Ranfaroth
By the way, Thunderbird 1.5b1 has been released

samh
Outlook is what they call "PIM" (personal information manager).
Neither Thunderbird nor Mozilla are real PIMs.
Mozilla is developing one as a continuation of Sunbird project (not yet out).
Actually I can't think of any available full featured PIM (like Outlook) at the moment. One reason could be the popularity of PDAs.
Ranfaroth
Sundbird is already available as a Thunderbird extension, which allows it to transform in a PIM much more secure than Outlook Rolling Eyes
bigdan
Thunderbird = GOOD Very Happy
Outlook and Outlook Express = BAD Shame on you
shwetanshu
thunderbird all the way
modak
Ranfaroth wrote:
Sundbird is already available as a Thunderbird extension, which allows it to transform in a PIM much more secure than Outlook Rolling Eyes

Really ? This is news to me. Can you post a link to the plugin download page Ranfaroth ?
Ranfaroth
It's not a plugin, it's an extension
modak
Well has anyone reviewed/used Chandler http://chandler.osafoundation.org ? Looks slick, although the hefty 60 MB download might put off a few people.

However I personally feel that for aplications like Chandler or Thunderbird+Sunbird to really succeed, there is a strong need to emulate a lot of the functionality of MS Exchange server, esp. w.r.t. to meetings, events and appointments in an open-source server.

Maybe this will help :

http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Journal/CosmoTempHome
jovemac
Thunderbird is the best option i too suppose. I am using it for a long while and feel its gud far better than microsoft products. you can have a try with that.
Animal
Man, this is an old post! It was created on Mon Jul 18, 2005 at 2:42 pm....

However, the newest Thunderbird release is great (1.5 is out) and although it's a great email client, it doesn't have all the in-built calendar features... Yet.

Currently in development is the Lightning extension that combines all the features of Thunderbird and Sunbird to create a direct competitor to Outlook. It will eventually fully integrate all the calendar, sharing and synchronisation features found in Outlook but unfortunately, it's still a few months of development away.

The first release should be coming soon though - you can read all about it at http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Lightning and if you're ultra brave, you can try out the pre-release version here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/nightly/latest-trunk/

Be careful though... because it's pre-release there are known "dataloss" bugs, so backup before installing it.

Enjoy!

Very Happy
moncader
Ok, if you're a linux user, there is THE app you're looking for. A very good fully featured PIM, it is included with the KDE environment (which i think is the best one anyways). It is called Kontact. http://kontact.kde.org/

Simply wonderful. Smile
Bookface
Chandler looks pretty awesome, but doesn't work so well. I really like the feature that lets you search Amazon for stuff to add to your tasks/calendar, though.
Ranfaroth
For your information, Thunderbird 1.5.0.4 has been released.
charredii
Mozilla company is great!

I wonder though, is there another program with the far-reaching compatability as MS Outlook??
gittu
Microsoft outlook 2007 trial released you can go to microsoft's site if u have xp and get 2007 its included everything Laughing
Arnie
Thunderbird is one of the heaviest programs I've used. It's terrible, I hope never to use that brick again. But to keep the open source fundamentalists happy, I'd suggest http://phxmail.sourceforge.net .

Actually it's a great program that I'd suggest anyway, whether open source or not. Light, safe and simple.
modak
Arnie wrote:
Thunderbird is one of the heaviest programs I've used.

Man you've obviously never used Evolution Smile

Arnie wrote:
It's terrible, I hope never to use that brick again. But to keep the open source fundamentalists happy, I'd suggest http://phxmail.sourceforge.net .

Actually it's a great program that I'd suggest anyway, whether open source or not. Light, safe and simple.

First of all, if you consider the memory requirements of Thunderbird, it actually is quite lightweight, being used comfortably on old P3 computers with 128 MB RAM as well. So unless you want to tell me that you have a machine older/less powered than that, I'm inclined to believe you're biased.

Secondly, PHXmail or PhoenixMail depends on Borland Delphi libraries, which are an additional drag on the system that Thunderbird doesn't impose. Also development of this app doesn't seem to be on, since the last release was made a long time back (2005 to be precise).

Thirdly, Borland Delphi libraries are not open-source, so such an open-source application is essentially worthless.

Fourthly, I personally object to the use of "fundamentalists" to describe Free and Open Source Software enthusiasts. They are the reason corporate America hasn't roughshodded their way over the consumers, and forced the consumers into islands of proprietary software.
Arnie
Tried it on a Celeron-A 500MHz with 128MB RAM at the time. The RAM could have been 64 or 224, not sure. It was S----L----O----W. Outlook Express wasn't, and PhxMail was simply fast.

I don't care what you think about my experience. If you feel it's fast enough on your computer, then that's your experience. But I certainly don't recommend running Thunderbird if you're careful with your system resources. Same for Firefox, by the way, though the latest version seems less bad. (I've tested it since it was called Phoenix.)
saurabh.sauron
i suggest Thunderbird and Novell's Evolution. Both r good. i have used both. Outllok/Express are terrible...
{name here}
For a basic alternative try Opera's built in client.