FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New laptop

Jurado
Hello,

I'm looking for a new laptop but i don't know what is bad, good or to good.

I want to surf, download, Use Ms office. I also want to play games like Football manager etc. NOT games like Warcraft,flight sim etc. .I also want to watch dvds .Further i want using Autocad etc. I have everywhere elektricity, so a very good battery isn't nescaissary. Can someone tell me what is a good laptop for me and the specifications that are recommended. Also for the screen, On which specs should i watch to see of it is a good screen.

Thanks in advance.
tar-xzv
Hello,

Before you go to a computer store, please do you research. You don't want a sales person to tell you what is good and what is not!!! Right?

Good place to start, maybe bias, maybe not, is Cnet. Laptops are tough little *beep*. I wanted to make my own, when I read how much pain is to put one together.

I'll give you a heads up on Apple power book G4 laptop, because I own one. Adding memory to this sucker is not an easy process. If you think you can just go to a computer store and say I want the cheapest memory that exists, you are very mistaken.

Some old G4 power books (1GHz processor combo drive) come with a defective memory slot. I've purchased Samsung (i think i did) and tried to install it and had no luck!

I took it to the "genius bar" and I spoke to the "genius" which does not know what brand of memory Apple is using. He thinks that Apple is a manufacturer of the memory. I gave him a hint "kingston", but that did not ring a bell. They tested the book there and said that everything is fine. I take it to Tiger Direct (Canada) and tell them try out a few pieces of memory. I asked for Kingston but they only had Ultra and Pny. None of them worked.

OH, I also tried installing Corsair 1GB module and that did not work. I was able to boot but the OS didn't detect the memory in the system profile.

See how much trouble you can have with certain laptops especially Apple!?

If you plant to buy Ibm, Dell, Acer etc., go to they support forums and read what is being shipped to customers; That's defective pieces, cosmetic blemishes and the rest of annoyances.

I'm not going to tell you what to buy or say nice things about my laptop. I'd rather warn people what you might end up buying. I think it's very expensive and many people would buy something else for $3,000.00.

Clearly you want your laptop to run Windows so you can run you games. I'm sorry that I can't recommend you any laptops that are Windows native, but other frihost sure will. Wink

UPDATE: I was able to install Kingston 1GB in my notorious G4 and am very happy now! Smile The piece in it actually was Samsung.

If anyone needs to upgrade they can try getting what I did, don't blame me if it's incompatible - Kingston 1024MB PC2700 (memory speed varies...this is PPC chip) DDR 333MHz SODIMM Memory.

Good luck,
5ani
prongs_386
ok, for what you've specified your needs to be... i would suggest not spending much money on it at all. you could spend uner a grand and get a good system of 2.ghz 512mg ram 40g harddrive.. and it would run all the things you want fine.. there is no need to spend a heap of money on things that you don't need.

don't let a salesperson talk you into buying a laptop because it has this feature or that feature... the likely hood is you don't need any of it and will never even use it.
Jurado
prongs_386 wrote:
ok, for what you've specified your needs to be... i would suggest not spending much money on it at all. you could spend uner a grand and get a good system of 2.ghz 512mg ram 40g harddrive.. and it would run all the things you want fine.. there is no need to spend a heap of money on things that you don't need.

don't let a salesperson talk you into buying a laptop because it has this feature or that feature... the likely hood is you don't need any of it and will never even use it.

Are you really sure, i tought about 2gig Ram and 60+ gigs. I have a budget of +- 1000 Euro. Someone advised me HP. Top or Flop??

Also, I don't know much about processors, In my desktop now i'm running 1500 mHz . However technologies have been evolving so i can't see it anymore. maybe someone a site with benchmarks of all mobile processors?

Grttz,
Bones
I personally hate HP computers, mostly because of their extremely poor support, and the huge load of bundled software crap they add on to the computer. On top of that, their restore cd's are HORRIBLE! If you even get one.

When I say horrible, I mean it. For instance..if someone gets a stop 0xED error on start, (unmountable boot volume) You can normally fix it in a few minutes by booting to recovery console and running a chkdsk/p
On most HP restore disks that I have seen, booting to recovery console is not even possible, unless you had the foresight to install RC to the hard drive beforehand. usually they end up doing a clean install of the OS when it should be a simple fix.

I think the best advice is to shop around to find a few models that you think you might want to buy, then look for reviews of those models on the net. You will always find people that were not happy with that model for one reason or another, but it should give you a general idea of how other people felt about that product.

Also, if you want to use Auto Cad, you will want a fair amount of memory especially if you will be rendering 3D designs.
Jurado
Bones wrote:
I personally hate HP computers, mostly because of their extremely poor support, and the huge load of bundled software crap they add on to the computer. On top of that, their restore cd's are HORRIBLE! If you even get one.

When I say horrible, I mean it. For instance..if someone gets a stop 0xED error on start, (unmountable boot volume) You can normally fix it in a few minutes by booting to recovery console and running a chkdsk/p
On most HP restore disks that I have seen, booting to recovery console is not even possible, unless you had the foresight to install RC to the hard drive beforehand. usually they end up doing a clean install of the OS when it should be a simple fix.

I think the best advice is to shop around to find a few models that you think you might want to buy, then look for reviews of those models on the net. You will always find people that were not happy with that model for one reason or another, but it should give you a general idea of how other people felt about that product.

Also, if you want to use Auto Cad, you will want a fair amount of memory especially if you will be rendering 3D designs.

Thanks for the answer, I know someone who has a HP, It is a powerfull machine he says, and yes, he says that there is to much software pre installed, and yes he says that the support is poor. But without a problem it is an OKE machine.

Grrtz,
Jurado
I've seen laptops with mediacenter, can I run excel and games on that?
What if i want to play The Sims and Simcity? What if i want run Vista in the near future? What i'm most concerned on is the screen. How can is see what is good or bad? I mean by specifications.
Jaan
tar-xzv wrote:
I think it's very expensive and many people would buy something else for $3,000.00.

I don't think so Rolling Eyes
I have a Nvidia quadro FX 512mb video card and 4GB RAM on mine, works better than most desktops I've seen. Wink
I would go for Dell, they have best support service if you can't be bothered to fix your own comp.
Cheers myte
tar-xzv
Jaan wrote:
tar-xzv wrote:
I think it's very expensive and many people would buy something else for $3,000.00.

I don't think so Rolling Eyes
I have a Nvidia quadro FX 512mb video card and 4GB RAM on mine, works better than most desktops I've seen. Wink
I would go for Dell, they have best support service if you can't be bothered to fix your own comp.
Cheers myte

Jaan,

I was talking about my mac, macs in general. Do we understand each other? What do you have to say again? Very Happy

5ani
Pikokola
Jurado wrote:
I've seen laptops with mediacenter, can I run excel and games on that?
What if i want to play The Sims and Simcity? What if i want run Vista in the near future? What i'm most concerned on is the screen. How can is see what is good or bad? I mean by specifications.

then try Toshiba Satelite A100-P543 I just buy it for $1300 and no problem occur

Processor:
Intel® Centrino™ Duo Mobile Technology including Intel® Core® Duo Processor T2300 (1.66GHz, 677MHz Front Side Bus, 2MB L2 Cache)
Wireless connection:
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG net work connection and Intel® 945PM Express chipset.
Bundled Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP2 (English).
display:
15.4” WXGA TFT display with Clear SuperView screen technology, resolution 1,280 x 800.
HDD
80GB S.M.A.R.T. with shock absorber, Serial ATA.
Memory:
512MB DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4096MB.
Dvd:
DVD SuperMulti Double Layer Drive.
Grafic card:
ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 256MB HyperMemory, external
64MB VRAM, PCI Expressx16.
Sound System:
Realtek ALC861 software sound. Internal harman/kardon stereo speakers.
Others:
Toshiba Dual Mode pad with blue LEDs. 85-key Ergonomic Spill -
resistant Keyboard, 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN, International 56Kbps modem. Integrated Bluetooth V2.0, Interfaces: RGB, USB 2.0 x 4, 5-in-1 card reader (supports SD™ Card, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick Pro™, MultiMedia Card™, xD-Picture Card™), RJ-11, RJ-45, i.LINK (IEEE 1394), Svideo TV-out, DC-in. PC Card slot for 1x Type II card, 2 memory slots (1 to configure). Up to 2.0 hours of battery life. Weight 2.72kg (with standard battery and optical disk drive). International Limited Warranty 1-year parts & labor (Carry -in), 1-year battery (Carry -in). Microsoft® Office OneNote™ 2003. Cool Pearl White color.

The one that I miss is.. the infra red port Sad
the bundled software contains Norton Antivirus fo 30 days, I can plays some games, watch dvds, and using Office smoothly... Razz
and it's tell that that laptop is compatible and designed for Windows Vista for future use
Jurado
i've seen in a folder, the Toshiba A110-178 for 999.00 Euro.

Anyway, i'll take a look at several laptop manufactures.

Grttz,
gelid
I was considering getting a tosh very similar however i only have like 800-1000 to spend. They seem to hit all the buttons , plenty of ram and a good cpu. I know that the GPu is shared mem but there is plenty of pony power so i would think this will puff out.

I am looking to play games such as BF2 BF2 sf hl2 and css anyone know if it will play it (the laptop above (tosh))
Jurado
Thx for the replies, Another questions:
1) AMD or Intel ? Or is the difference so small that it doesn't matter? Maybe someone can give me a site with benchmarks.
2) What kind of screen is the best? Some laptop have Trubrite, diamond view etc. Someone told me not to choose a loptop that has a reflecting screen. Anyone some suggestions??
3) Wich video card is good? Someone a site suggestion with benchmarks?

Grttz,
Jurado
Sorry double post
vignesh_natraj
you can go in for a Core 2 Duo with ati graphics card visit dell.com for more specifications and prices
Jurado
I'm not going to buy Dell.

Sorry.
RT Cunningham
I read a post about someone hating HP's. I don't. Let me explain. Most of the prebuilt machines (of any brand) come preloaded with software you don't want and yes, the restore CD's are hopeless.

When I bought my HP Pavilion widescreen, I installed Registry First Aid along with NTREGOPT to clean all the crap off. I uninstalled what could be uninstalled, then checked several locations to make the folders were gone. Then I used Registry First Aid to remove any keys that appeared to be related to the applications in question. Then I used the NTREGOPT to compact the registry.

There are more things that I did -- it took me about a day. The result is a squeaky-clean OS with only the stuff I want on there on there.

I paid $1000 and added memory to make it 1 gig. I also added a wireless mouse (because I hate the touchpad). It has an AMD Turion 64 processor. It runs like a champ even here in the high humidity of the Philippines. Of course, I have to use a voltage regulator to keep it at 110V.

Anyway, both of my sons, as well as I, have HP laptops (mine being the only widescreen) and none of have had any problems with them. The oldest laptop is almost 2 years old. All three of them have XP Home as the OS, Microsoft Office for the office suite.

Anyway, I can recommend HP laptops over some of the others. Some brands are extremely cheap and horrible (GQ comes to mind). If you get pay between $900 and $1100 USD, you don't have to worry about the screen. Get one cheaper, buyer beware.
rfarrand
my personal opinion...but i love dell laptops. the size and quality are perfect for everything i need from a laptop. i have had one and used different at my old job and also my current job. They are some of the best laptops out there for the money. Ibm is probably better quality but highly overpriced. I would not pay that much for a laptop when you can get good enough quality from dell. I personally dont' really like any other brand of laptops...those are the two i would choose from, and because of the price, i recommend a dell over the others.

hope thins helps a little bit, but as most people have told you, you really should do the research for yourself...this is something that is personalized to what you want and like not what everyone else thinks you should get.

have a great day!
Bones
RT Cunningham wrote:
I read a post about someone hating HP's. I don't. Let me explain. Most of the prebuilt machines (of any brand) come preloaded with software you don't want and yes, the restore CD's are hopeless.

I should correct myself. I hate HP software. I have nothing against their hardware
Jurado
Okay, the descision is made, i've orded the Acer.
Oke here we go again, I want to watch television, More excactly, Cable Tv. It doesn't need nescaissary wireless. But i don't have cable in every room. I thought about something wireless or something using the power lines in my house. Anyone suggestions?

Grttz,
RT Cunningham
I remember something called the "Rabbit" where it sends the signal from one TV to another, but I can't recall any other wireless method.

Probably the easiest, yet the messiest, is to string the coax from room to room yourself. Just be careful to tack it down (using coax tackers -- whatever they're called) as close to the wall as possible.
Jurado
RT Cunningham wrote:
I remember something called the "Rabbit" where it sends the signal from one TV to another, but I can't recall any other wireless method.

Probably the easiest, yet the messiest, is to string the coax from room to room yourself. Just be careful to tack it down (using coax tackers -- whatever they're called) as close to the wall as possible.

Oke, that is what i don't want to do, place in every room a cable Wink . Maybe there is a device that can sent Audio/Video trough the electricity net?
carlospro7
I currently own an HP Compaq Presario V3030US. Yes it does come with a lot of extra software, but most of them can be uninstalled (only problem is that sometimes you still have a few unnecessary programs running in the background. And that it doesn't come with recovery disks, you have to burn them yourself, but at least the software to do it w/ is included). I have heard that HP support isn't the greatest, but so far i haven't had the need for support. The computer is a quite powerful one for its price with dual core processor, and it looks gorgeous, not that that matters much. Here are the specs:

- AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-52 (1.6GHz, 1mb L2 cache, and up to 1600MHz system bus.
- 14.1in widescreen (1280 x 800) active matrix, BrightView
- Windows XP Professional
- 1GB Memory (expandable to 2GB)
- 100GB (5400 RPM) HD
- LightScribe Super Multi 8x DVD+-R/RW w/ Double Layer support!
- 5-1 digital media reader
- and its own media software that can be run w/o having windows booted up.
- AMD has a thing with NVIDIA so the graphics card is GeForce Go 6150 (up 256MB shared memory)
- 2 Built-in Microphones, that work together.
- The computer stays quite cool, and very quiet.
- Battery life 2.5 - 3.5 hours under low conditions. Total weight 5.5lbs

*** Retail Price: ~$1,250. I've seen it online for a bit over $1,000. I paid about $875 for mine from eBay. Good deal Smile

This computer was not especifically designed for games but i was able to run Battlefield 2 w/o a problem under medium settings. Also, I am able to run Linux (will someday rule the world) so im able to either run linux or windows.

I'm not saying that you should get this particular computer, but I recommend something along these lines.

What I strongly suggest you get:

- AMD Turion, dual processor aka X2 (Turion is best for laptops in my opinion since it's mobile technology - smaller processor). AMDs are now being equiped with 64-bit chips as opposed to the soon to be outdated 32-bit ones, what does that mean? in short terms, better performace, period. You can't go wrong with AMD when looking for a laptop.

- At least a gig of memory since your going to run autoCad, and that program can sometimes take a lot of memory. Expandable though to at least 2 gigs.

- Most laptops today are now equiped with a DVD drive and burner, so dont worry about that.

- Hard Drive - Go with any capcity you want, but in terms of RPMs don't go with anything below 5400. Any HD below 5400 RPM tends to get unnecessarily hot, and make some noise. It's as if it were strangling itself. For example, you'd be better off with a 40gb 7200 RPM, than an 80gb 4200RPM one. If you can pay the extra hundred dollars for an 80gig 7200 RPM HD, that'd be even better, but not that you need it. Now if your budget is limited, and want the bigger capacity, do what you want; but try your best not to get anything below 5400 RPM.

Anyway, that's what i have to say from my personal experience.
carlospro7
hmmm, lol. i just noticed your message on your purchase. Very well, congratulations! just ignore my previous message if you desire. Hope that laptop serves you well.
Jurado
No problem mate, it is the Acer Aspire 5672. i hope also that it will be a great non problem machine
carlospro7
ah, the acer aspire 5672. I was actually debating between that one and the one i have now, when i bought my laptop. The only reason i didn't choose the acer was because of the 4200RPM hard drive (else i would have bought it instead my current one), but nonetheless it's a powerful computer. Nice choice. I love the integrated camera in the acer. Not something i was looking for, but wish i had. peace
Jurado
I didn't needed it but now i have it Smile . For me it was between the Acer and HP Pavilion dv6025 . I had the luck that a local magazine tested those 2. And the Acer was simply better then the HP for the same price. So the choice was easy.

Grtzz,