FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


does microsoft reserve 20% of your bandwith *broadband)?





ahsanrao
is it true .. i heard from somewhere .. here u can find it...

Quote:
Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes
(suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the ""

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.
Works on XP Pro and 2000.
badai
not true

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q316666
Jaan
Nah myte. Mabye only if you're downloading updates. 20% is not much at all if you have a good conneccton. I get 17mbps.
HIGHLY unlikely that Microsoft is doing that, orelse it would be in the mainstream. Whoever told you is a bullshit artist.
Cheers.
mOrpheuS
Quote:
Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes
(suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back: ...

Microsoft. They are really evil, aren't they ? Wink
But for all the effort they put into "spying" their "innocent" users, they sure are stupid enough to also make it really easy to disable their "spying" tools with simple checkboxes !
Aren't we lucky that some gold hearted fellow out there discovered their secret and shared it with all of us by spamming our mailboxes ?

Don't you think if they really were to spy on you, they'd do it in a way that you wouldn't be able to prevent/avoid ?

Anyway, QoS packet scheduler is a service that manages network traffic over networks that support it.
It does not reserve bandwidth for Microsoft's use.
The 20% bandwidth is reserved for control traffic for the rest of the 80% bandwidth. Not for windows updates or for collecting your Credit Card information.

I'm not sure of this, but enabling QoS on your typical internet connection is useless, the network doesn't support it.

Quote:
So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth

You can simply disable QoS on a given network adapter ... again there's a check box for it...


p.s. - You can setup QoS on Linux as well, if you like Linus Torvalds instead of Bill Gates watching what you do on your PC.


p.p.s - If Microsoft's servers were really to handle 20% of the bandwidth of all the windows machines connected to the internet ... they'd crash.
So will Torvalds' home PC. Wink
Xeniczone
I could run a test for you.

Two machines.

P2 350mhz
256mbs of ram
Windows XP SP2

VS.

G3 350mhz
256mhs or ram
Macintosh OS X 10.2

I will download a file then I will try a speed testing site at different times. It won't be a perfect test but it will see if Microsoft is really holding back on you.

More then likly that 20% isn't from microsoft it is from a Security Software that has to scan everything that enters and exits your computer.
Srs2388
it didn't make a difference in mine either.
Xeniczone
I think this maybe true. My Macintosh 10.4 tops out at 1.2 mbs and the Windows XP tops out at only 600kbs. They are both wireless and the macintosh is farther way.

I haven't tested my Linux yet but I will try some time later.
cheeta
well when there is no MS update available for download I dont see my 20% bandwidth lost :p... i can download/upload at my connection top speed...
WickedGravity
QOS is a difficult thing to understand for the experts in the field, but to us mere mortals, I have found this tidy little definition, courtesy of PCMag.com

Quote:

A function at the network protocol level that allocates bandwidth to competing online connections. Residing in the transmitting machine, it determines how many packets are handed to each connection (each flow) at a given time. A packet scheduler makes its determinations by observing the packet flows from the applications or by request from a quality of service (QoS) protocol such as RSVP or Diffserv.
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.