FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Caffeine Addiction

qbawler311
I've had coffee every morning since I've been 15 or so (I'm 20 now), and I would like to stop.

Basically, I do love coffee, but it's getting to the point where it's a hassle, and if I don't have it, I get a brutal headache.

I want to start exercizing in the morning, but I have to drink coffee first, then let it go through my system, etc. and this is an annoyance.

Also...I get absolutely ZERO rush out of drinking caffeine now, so when I was in college, I couldn't drink a couple of red bulls to study all night.

Questions...

Has anyone here tried quitting coffee/caffeine? If you were succesful, did you get re-addicted?

Any useful links?

Is the best way to quit just drink smaller and smaller amounts of coffee every morning until I don't need it anymore?

Any help is appreciated.
kazikame
I'm addicted to caffeine, but for me it's mainly Diet Coke with the occasional Tea. I'm 15 and i've only been addicted for a few months. I've forgotten what it's like to NOT be on caffeine Razz

I haven't really tried quitting, but I probably should.
Haloer2006
caffine addictions rock!
Jinx
I used to be a complete Mt. Dew addict. I don't remember making a consious decision to do so, but one day I just bought a bottle of water instead of the Dew. Had headaches for the first day, but it's been water ever since.
From what I understand, and I'm no expert so ymmv, but it dosn't take long for caffeine to clear your system. Drink plenty of water the day before you stop cause I think some of the headache may be mild dehydration (caffiene is a diuretic). Keep asprin (or your painkiller of choice) close to hand. Keep a bottle of water nearby to sip - it's psycological: if you already have a beveradge you are less likely to grab another.
Caffiene shouldn't be a hard one to kick. Not like Nicotine.
Changing your daily patterns should help, too. If you grab for coffee first thing in the morning out of habit, change your morning routine so you will be less likely to pour a cup on auto-pilot. Go for a walk or jog first thing, instead. Or make Orange Juice your wake-up drink.
I have no problem now drinking a rare cup of Joe or having a Mt. Dew, no signs of re-addiction.
If you just have to have the coffee flavor, but without the caffiene there is always decaf...or coffee flavored ice cream Very Happy
carlokes
Hi guys,

I drink 2-3 coffees everyday and i think that drink coffee is not such a bad adiction and actually coffee is very benefic to your helth, its prevents some kinds of cancers and helps you to keep awake at night studying for university,

I really LOVE a well made Cappucino (i usually drink an awesome one in a coffee shop near my house).
karysky
Sorry, I can't help you out !

I always drink water and I rarely drink coffee ! I drink coffee when I studied late and I need to stay awake in my morning classes (which is rare), or, more often, during my exam weeks !

It's a good thing, because I take one coffee, and I get a boost of energy from it quite easily!
Rico
I used to drink about twenty cups of coffee per day, it turned me into an insomniac. I decided to cut my caffeine intake to a level where it wouldn’t affect my sleep. Trying to cut was hard until I found out that the urge to have a cup of coffee is usually your body telling you you’re dehydrated.

Coffee (I think the caffeine) is a diuretic, so every time you drink one cup of coffee you’ll urinate approximately twice the volume of liquid. With this data I figured that instead of drinking yet another cup of coffee I’ll drink water times two the volume of the coffee I had to hydrate my body and get rid of the craving. That strategy worked great, once I had the water I’d forget about coffee.

I still have two cups in the morning, more out of habit than anything else. Sometimes when I really feel like a cup and I’ve already had my 2 cup quota, I find my body’s quite happy with a bit of decaf. I hope this’ll help you beat your addiction.

PS. Technically the ‘addiction’ we perceive to have for a theoretically non-addictive substance like caffeine is more habitual than a dependency.

PPS. Are you sure the headaches are not from dehydration?
RT Cunningham
In 1983, while the ship I was on was floating around off the coast of Lebanon, we ran out of soda. Prior to that, I rarely drank coffee but the headaches I got were intense. Although we didn't have anything to put in the coffee except, well coffee, I learned to drink it.

I have been drinking both regular and decaf ever since. I usually only have one or two cups a day. In between, I like to drink iced tea -- without any extra flavoring like that crappy artificial lemon. I do, however, fast on a regular basis and I never get the headaches anymore.
Ray Gravin
Just tough out the headaches if you can. Of course like the others have said you need to drink plenty of water, but that a given either way right. I have to keep my caffine intake in check all the time. Its not that hard really if you just try to use in moderation. For the most part the only caffine intake I really have is chocolate. I love me some oreos and chocolate soy milk : 9
Tatsumaru
Yup, I'd just sit through those headaches... it should stop at a time. Bad sympton of addiction anyway, haha.

Man, I'm glad I never started drinking coffee. I always thought it smelled horrible, and I tasted it only once... to never taste it again Laughing
generalgazz
I think I would suffer without my coffee, I just can't wake up in the morning without it.

I even got caffeine pills incase I need them.
Vanilla
kazikame wrote:
I'm addicted to caffeine, but for me it's mainly Diet Coke with the occasional Tea. I'm 15 and i've only been addicted for a few months. I've forgotten what it's like to NOT be on caffeine Razz

I haven't really tried quitting, but I probably should.

My whole family is addicted to caffeine, I mean, coke caffeine. I don't think that is a bad thing, since I got more excited and focused at my studies. I'm 21 and I've been addicted since I can't remember... Laughing
sonicj
I drink a minnimum of 1 pot of coffee a day. sometimes it is more like 2 pots of coffee. I have drank coffee for so long, that I can drink a pot of coffee and then go straight to sleep. But I definately don't get a good nights sleep afterwards Sad

I think any addiction depends on a persons personality and desire to quit. Some can do it cold turkey(which is the only way for me) while others need to gradually step down. However you manage to do it is the right way for you. Best of luck.
sonam
I am adict on coffee and I don't like to stop. When I have bad reaction on too cups of coffee I just stop one day or drink few cups less.

Sonam
adpc_88
caffeiine is Caffeine is a xanthine alkaloid compound that acts as a stimulant in humans. Caffeine is sometimes called guaranine when found in guarana, mateine when found in mate, and theine when found in tea. It is found in the leaves and beans of the coffee plant, in tea, yerba mate, and guarana berries, and in small quantities in cocoa, the kola nut and the Yaupon Holly. so }quit it
[FuN]goku
Jinx wrote:
I used to be a complete Mt. Dew addict. I don't remember making a consious decision to do so, but one day I just bought a bottle of water instead of the Dew. Had headaches for the first day, but it's been water ever since.
From what I understand, and I'm no expert so ymmv, but it dosn't take long for caffeine to clear your system. Drink plenty of water the day before you stop cause I think some of the headache may be mild dehydration (caffiene is a diuretic). Keep asprin (or your painkiller of choice) close to hand. Keep a bottle of water nearby to sip - it's psycological: if you already have a beveradge you are less likely to grab another.
Changing your daily patterns should help, too. If you grab for coffee first thing in the morning out of habit, change your morning routine so you will be less likely to pour a cup on auto-pilot. Go for a walk or jog first thing, instead. Or make Orange Juice your wake-up drink.
I have no problem now drinking a rare cup of Joe or having a Mt. Dew, no signs of re-addiction.
If you just have to have the coffee flavor, but without the caffiene there is always decaf...or coffee flavored ice cream Very Happy
um dude..... mountain dew does not have caffiene in it... its just loaded with sugar... and anyways... im addicted to any type of diet cola, ie, pepsi, coke. and other cheap brands... i go through like 6 bottles or more a week
dz9c
[FuN]goku wrote:
Jinx wrote:
um dude..... mountain dew does not have caffiene in it... its just loaded with sugar... and anyways... im addicted to any type of diet cola, ie, pepsi, coke. and other cheap brands... i go through like 6 bottles or more a week

THERE IS CAFFEINE in mountain dew genius. there is 4.67 grams of caffeine per every oz or whatever so yea get ur facts straight. source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_drinks
Srs2388
Don't try to stop all the sudden
get the same amount of caffine you normally do at first.
then start decreasing it a little at a time.

I am still very much so addicted but it doesn't bother me i could really care less about my "addiction" lol
Vrythramax
I have to admit that I am addicted to caffien in all it's forms. While at work I drink *ALOT*, but when I am at home I drink very litle, but I do drink lots of cola. I have never tried to stop, but I have heard of people getting very nasty headaches from the withdrawal...once again I only heard that.

Caffien is a drug and drinking large quantities would lead to an addiction of sorts, but this is only my opinion. I would love to see a study on the long-term effects....maybe that will help me slow down (or at least sleep better).
scorpiosemotion
I am a Rockstar Addict! And Coffee, not so much soda but if I don't have my rockstar I get mean and grumpy! As everyone has said yes you get headaches Smile it's too be expected I think.....
onemoment
Im a student who spends many hours into the night on the computer at uni with a couple cans of V or Red Bull by my side. And always that first coffee in the morning. I hope this isnt what i have to look forward to for the future. Crying or Very sad
PatTheGreat42
I was never addicted to caffeine. I'd have the occasional soda here and there, but I was never a soda junkie or anything like that. But about six months ago I decided to lay off the caffeine so I could lose any resistance I had built up. I just started avoiding caffeinated products.

I did begin to miss Pepsi.

Anyways, my theory was that when the school year came back around, and I might need caffeine to make up for some time, all I would need was a cup of tea and I'd be set.

Today, we had a hard Cross Country practice, so I went to 7-11 and bought a Slurpee and a Big Gulp of Pepsi.

I drank that Pepsi over a matter of hours and you have no idea how amazingly HYPER I was. It felt like my brain was running on overdrive. Things came to me in a flash. I couldn't write stuff down fast enough.

Anyways, moral of the story is: drop the caffeine resistance at all costs. Soda is so very very very very very much more fun that way.
roadruner
a couple of my friends are absolute caffeine addicts and it's really funny to see them be at school after not getting their morning dose Wink
i personaly never really liked coffee that much
i just drink once in a while with friends if they also drink it
but i remember the impact it had on me when i first drank it
i was nervous all day because it kept up and going for so long Smile
Idoru
Wow, the subject really been turned over and out here, but since I get it as you are
asking of personal experiences I'll share mine.

Similar to you I started aroud the age of 15. Worked with helping elder people, whom
often liked me to sit down having a chat. Over a cop, ofcourse. Rolling Eyes
Since this occured about 7-8 times a day, the resault was obvious. Stoped a couple of
times, always with those headaches you describe in the beginning. That usually lasts
a day or two, and in my case not as earlier mentioned, by dehydration. After that it's
about a week in a sleep-walking like state; everything a bit fuzzy, and not fully concentrated.
Then it's done. Smile

For me, it resaulted in starting again, but now I don't find it such a big deal. Usually
have a cup or two in the morning, and that's it. Drinking more only resaults in a
bad stomache, and, as also mentioned, lots of urinating.

So, my suggestion is just to quit it and endure the short period of relatilelly mild
abstinences. Take it up again if you feel the need, but stay in controll of yourself. Wink
hrtorrent
I was adict to coffee. I drink few coffee's at day, and sometimes more. Somehow I realize that I have problem with headings and blod pressure. Than I try to quit with coffee. I just stop to drink it, and that was terrible for me. I have a heading for three days. After three day I feel normaly. After that I rather drink tea instead of coffee. Black (Indian) tea have same effect as a good black coffee to me.
konflikt
Try exercising, folks. I'm currently in the process of breaking my own caffiene addiction, and I've found that plenty of water and sleep are the trick. Coffee is usually consumed due to the need of an "extra boost". Happens when you don't get enough sleep, or for some reason or another your body lacks energy. So you reach for the coffed to get that boost you need to make it through the day. I've started to lift weights, nothing heavy, just enough to get the blood pumpin'. Push-ups, stretches, and crunches. Lots of water. Also, getting to sleep on time(tonight does NOT qualify). Get the rest your body needs, stay well hydrated, and eat breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day, and that's where your energy for the beginning of your day comes from. It's tough, but stick to it for a week, and you'll be good. Trust me Smile
crimson_aria
I've been drinking coffee since I was in elementary. I don't know if I'm addicted to coffee. Maybe not because I don't experience that kind of thing such as getting headache or something when I don't drink coffee. But I love coffee so much! But I sometimes get lazy to make one. Laughing I drink coffee as many as I can when I'm not in a lazy mood though. Perhaps it's bad to drink coffee too much, but I don't think it's all that bad. It has some benefits. Maybe you could try other alternatives, like drinking fruit juice instead? .. uuhh, I don't know, sorry.
monzoncf
try not to be addicted to caffein. Doctors said that it is dangerous if you continue and habbitual use of caffein. Maybe it will cause you a heart attack. I hope i am correct. but correct me if im mistake.
Vrythramax
monzoncf wrote:
try not to be addicted to caffein. Doctors said that it is dangerous if you continue and habbitual use of caffein. Maybe it will cause you a heart attack. I hope i am correct. but correct me if im mistake.

I'm not sure anyone sets out to get addicted to caffien...it just seems to happen without your knowing it. I honestly hope you are mistaken about the heart attack factor...I sure don't want to die over a cup of coffee Crying or Very sad
Jaan
Nice as, no point in trying to stop it, it's taking over the world, I CAN FEEL IT, and so CAN YOU!! z0mg!
Liu
You can cut it down slowly, maybe drink half a cup first. Then as you get used to it, start drinking it every other day. And continue until you don't really need it anymore.
actualeffection
I dislike addictions with a passion. That's why I don't drink coffee anymore Laughing . Best way to beat an addiction, is like the poster above me said. Just cut down slowly. Pretty soon you'll be free of it all. [it will take some time though] And I think it depends on how long you've had the addiction. Like if you have just gotten addicted, in my opinion, it should be easier to break it, because it's not a rutted routine just yet. But if you've had it for many years, well, good luck mate.

=P
dz9c
i love caffeine. have a red bull every 6 hours and i have a severe case of insomnia. thank you.
afterglow
I have caffeine obsession like six months ago, I go addicted to starbucks' frapuccinos and my mom had to cut down my allowance so I cant buy those precious things.

I slowly got used to it after drinking only water... teas... and other fruit juices, and being active in other activities, also I had to have a classmate/chaperone everytime I go to the mall so i Cant buy a cup of coffee anywhere. Confused
Vrythramax
socialoutcast wrote:
You know that you're addicted to coffee when your first aide kit contains a pint of coffee and an IV hook up.

You know you're addict to coffee when your lifes goal is to amount to a hill of beans.

You know your addicted to coffee when Wan Valdez names his donkey after you.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
justnewbie
i drank one can of coffee every weekdays, but i dont think im addicted to coffee, i just like the smell of caffeine. is coffee good for your health anyway? somebody says it damages your liver and some says it protect liver instead.. anyway, i just know that coffee have got some sort of stimulant that keeps you awake for some time.. but is it true that coffee is not so effective for some other people (can't keep them away from sleep) ?
Rico
monzoncf wrote:

I don’t think it can, can it? My dad used to drink coffee you could float a bullet on, just the smell would keep you up for a week. He drank that brew straight up, no sugar, no milk, but that’s not what got him. What wiped him out was the nicotine. All the coffee did was give him a darker shadow, yes?
CompactHaven
qbawler311 wrote:

Questions...

Has anyone here tried quitting coffee/caffeine? If you were succesful, did you get re-addicted?

Any help is appreciated.

Just quit cold turkey. You'll get a headache for a few days, and then it's over. Years of addiction cured in a few days.

Then just limit yourself if you don't want to get re addicted.
Vrythramax
I'm so addicted to caffiene that I believe it should be one of the major food groups.

Wonder who I would have to petition for that inclusion Question
scorpiosemotion
I wonder if it possible to have a caffiene hangover? I sure feel like it. Over the past 24 to 48 hours the amount of caffiene intaken into my poor body has been even phenominal even for me! I don't just drink coffee, I drink energy drinks too! I've had 3 Triple strength rockstars 5 double strength rockstars, and at least a pot of coffee, not to mention the triple shot espresso mocha from starbucks. Hmm, and I am just about to go out and get more.. How did I ever manage to sleep last night?
kaboose342
I used to be a complete pepsi guy and got hooked on it after about a few hundread 2 Ls lol Laughing But now i just drink coffee alot.
mat_metzner
mine didnt used to be so bad until they opened 3 new Starbucks near my place Sad they really didnt give me much chance......

still I only drunk a hell of a lot of coke before that anyways so it probably hasnt done me much worse.
Darkfall
Good thing I found this thread, I'm suffering this addiction at the moment, discovered it when I decided I wanted to lost a bit of weight (not much, just so I can fit into even smaller jeans Razz) and started drinking water instead of my usual intake of sugar-free caffeine-filled drinks and I passed out on the first day due to the addiction.

I'm pretty sure its a caffeine addiction, but I've got this worry in the back of my head that I might be an undiagnosed diabetic, so I've got an appointment with the doctor on Friday as I do get very frequent blood sugar lows.