FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iTunes 7

orcaz
Apple has recently released iTunes 7... tried it, and found that it looks a bit sleeker in its look. However, it had a major bug, which is the problem that it will suddenly play the music faster at certain points of time, when the CPU or hard disk activity is high... does anyone haf a solution to this? This doesnt seem to happen in iTunes 6.
badai
ya. itunes suck. i only use because i already bought ipod.

the worst about it, if i'm using the dvd drive to do something (copy data, burn cd or watch dvd), when i start itune (or if i insert my ipod, itune will start automatically), it will give that damn error about cannot access my dvd drive. well who told you to access it? stupid itune!!!

and now the newer version has been released, i'm sure it will refuse to do anything until i download the latest version.
DimaSafr
Totaly agree Itunes Sucks!!! Mine crashed during instalation and know I can't run it or unistall. Also why do you have to use Itunes? Why can't they just let us to download files straight on the Ipod just like all the other mp3 players?
orcaz
er... then which music jukebox is better than iTunes? I DO NOT have an iPod, hence, I disabled the iPodService. However, i use iTunes because it is sleek, easy and organised veri neatly. Windows Media player is worse than iTunes...
the6thfactor
orcaz wrote:
er... then which music jukebox is better than iTunes? I DO NOT have an iPod, hence, I disabled the iPodService. However, i use iTunes because it is sleek, easy and organised veri neatly. Windows Media player is worse than iTunes...
Agreed.. though I like WMP11 I have had nothing but issues with importing my music files so I scratched it and stuck with iTunes. I've yet to have any type of issues with iTunes7 yet, not sure what the problem for everyone else is.
Animal
Yeah, unfortunately you're not alone with the iTunes 7 problems! A quick search of Apple's iTunes discussion boards highlights that there are several bugs and a load of unhappy users... I'm one of them! Music playback is garbled at best, and it's hardly recognisable when the volume in iTunes is less than full. However, Apple Insider are suggesting that an update (iTunes 7.0.1) is coming as soon as possible to try to fix all the issues.

We're still waiting though! Brick wall
neosree
I like the interface, and usability also, iTunes is much better than winamp in several areas. But J River Media Centre is the world's best music player with vast variety of format supprot, and have countless functionalities that you could imagine. I cannot live without it. So a deep attatchment. I use iTunes in my friend's laptop because he is not a power user and need a simple interface, nothing other than iTunes have this type of interface.
sush
Windows Media Player.

Reason. I'm short on disk space. Can't remove WMP, and won't install another. Works fine enough for me. Embarassed
orcaz
iTunes 7.0.1 is finally out! It solved almost all my playback problems now! Those who use iTunes should update to it asap.
Animal
orcaz wrote:
iTunes 7.0.1 is finally out! It solved almost all my playback problems now! Those who use iTunes should update to it asap.

Unfortunately, iTunes 7.0.1 only solved some of my problems with playback etc. When browsing with Firefox, hitting back / forward etc, iTunes still skipped and crackled. Despite trying a few tricks, I just got annoyed with it and decided to seek another day-to-day media player for my computer.

I came across MediaMonkey which has (so far) been absolutely excellent. There's a skin that makes it look quite similar to iTunes, it's much lighter-weight (only takes about 2-3% processor time when playing files) and allows you to sync with loads of portable devices such as iPods and i-River mp3 players. It has a much wider format support, and even allows gapless playback and playback of m4a audio. My only 2 criticisms of it is that it requires a bit of configuration (although this is well documented on the site), and it doesn't support tag information on m4a files. Otherwise, I can't recommend it enough!

Anyway, useful links if anyone wants to try MediaMonkey:
Download (go for the free version!)
Playback m4a / AAC tracks
Enable Gapless Playback

And if you're interested... here's a screenshot of my nice-and-configured player that looks a "little" like iTunes Wink
ncwdavid
badai wrote:
ya. itunes suck. i only use because i already bought ipod.

the worst about it, if i'm using the dvd drive to do something (copy data, burn cd or watch dvd), when i start itune (or if i insert my ipod, itune will start automatically), it will give that damn error about cannot access my dvd drive. well who told you to access it? stupid itune!!!

and now the newer version has been released, i'm sure it will refuse to do anything until i download the latest version.

You can change the settings on itunes and tell it not to load up every time the iPod is inserted.
angelussum
I really dislike iTunes. It's bulky, takes up a lot of resources for what it does, and comes bundled with QuickTime! And the quality of music I get from it never seems to be that great compared to the same things on another software. Still, my ipod has left me little choice. The MediaMonkey suggestion is great, and I will definitely look into that!
purcebr
I don't know, I think that itunes IS the best overall solution. Sure, it might take up some reasources, but hey - anything piece of full featured software will slow your computer down a bit. I must say it runs quite nicely on my powerbook g4.
saeleyjnr
I've tried using it and it keeps screwing up, Constantly crashing etc.

I updated all the software and decided to purchase one of the new games available for the ipod "VORTEX" and now itunes wont sync the 3.99 game up to my ipod, rendering it useless.

anyone else had this problem?

plus, whilst youre playing a song the sound will just randomly distort and screw up. Which is really annoying.

Plus the new iTunes is such an unnecessary waste of ram.

If only apple could sort it out and release a stripped down version
the6thfactor
Have yet to have any problems with itunes7, looks very sleek and seems to perform quite well for me. im satsifed Smile
neosree
I want iTunes to come up with some more features and they must be hidden smartly from normal user so that he wont complain about the complaxity. As of now iTunes is simple with good features, but there is a possibility of expanding the features.
Shake
I hate iTunes even more now. I can't play video anymore without synchronization problems. I will, of course, wait to get rid of it until I find something that can organize my library into playlists without a lot of manual labor, and successfully and confidently transfer the music to my iPod in the same way that iTunes does. I am also hoping that this program can update and manage podcasts. I would not use iTunes at all if I didn't own an iPod.
molif
i hate Itunes... crappy player.. i rather use winamp.. simple and easy.. no need for all those extra functionality.. as long can play music with a blast, thats fine with me..
WickedGravity
I never have had any direct issues with iTunes myself, then again, I also don't have an ipod and my mp3 selection, well, vast i think would be the right word so I never listen to a song enough times to see if the playback is better one way or the other.

I loathe Apple in general, but that is for a completely different thread...
TheCyrus
I used to use WinAMP, until AOL bought it or whatever...Then I switched to iTunes. I loved iTunes until version 7 came out. It lags my system so badly, not to mention the patch didn't really help much. I'm thinking of trying SongBird out, does anyone have any experience with it?
orcaz
Can anyone then suggest better music jukebox and organisers and players that can do the job as similar as iTunes of better, other than Windows Media Player, which i think is worse than itunes 7. the only nice feature i like about WMP is its SRS WOW surround effect.
lukeropro
iTunes is the best. WMP is not that easy to use and everything is so messy. And I don't get why so many people are pissed off with itunes 7. It just came out so obviously there'll be some bugs here and there. What they should be really pissed off with is WMP
vojtechzilka
I use iTunes all the time and have no problems. It always seems to be ok... Smile