FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pin - map your location on the world map

Lennon
That's right.

A world map, you get a virtual pin and point out exactly where in the world you live.

See http://explorationage.com/ for an example. It is a google-map that uses java to add points.

Instructions at http://blog.explorationage.com/articles/2006/01/08/how-to-add-a-google-map-to-any-web-page-in-less-than-10-minutes
LukeakaDanish
Look in your profile...

See the "location" bit???

Thats where you type YOUR LOCATION!
(or just a silly message, if your a silly person Smile)

If what your doing is sharing the link, then there is a forum for that, and its not this one.
Lennon
Let's say two people are from the same state / country, well with google maps you can pinpoint your exact location. It's quite fun really.

Angel
LukeakaDanish
Yea...they are quite cool...i've seen them on a couple of other sites..

but...

I'll donate all my frih$, points, souls, and feraris to you if it gets implemented Smile

Its just not the kind of thing bondings usually does, is it Smile
Lennon
See the article; It can take as little as 10 mins to set up!!!. If you're ok with scripting.
LukeakaDanish
I dont think bondings cares. (geez thats some awkward grammar)

There are a zillion (at least) "things" on the internet which only take 10 minutes to install/implement, yet frihost doest even have a million things...

The thing is...its better this way - especially concidering that frihost are unlikely to make any money from setting up this map app...or 99.9999% of all the other zillion 10 minute things.
illegalhost
Hmm, actually nobody would care about the location. We would all just lie about it!! Why? Some people just do not like others to know where they live! Some really just fake it. Nobody cares man.. Maybe it would be better to give a statistics of the percentage of people living in say, Europe/USA/Asia, etc. than to place a map. But of course, it would be again, based on individuals who are willing to share which country they are living in.
indianinworld
It doesnot matter where you are... Only the contents matters.

Keep Smiling Smile
scotty
Try this.

Sorry doesn't work! Come back later!

It is my 10 minute job at trying to set one up using pre made software. Let me know if it works.
scotty
Okay I have fixed up my little page that is the Frihost User Map.

The Frihost User Map - "Leave your mark on where you live."
Bockman
Quote:
Not Found
The requested URL /guestmap.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

nice....

What's the point for that anyway? Do we intend to visit each others)
scotty
Fixed that about 10 minutes ago, I was wondering why people weren't entering stuff.

As for the point, I don't believe there needs to be a point. I wanted to make it.
illegalhost
Hehe. can i cheat? I'll just enter a Norway but actually i'm in Antartica?
scotty
No you can't cheat because the map doesn't work at the moment. Lol I'm so bad at this I have no idea what I'm doing, it was working last night and people were adding where they live and now it doesn't work the next day.
LostOverThere
I doubt we need that, lets get the things we need implanted onto Frihost before we get the things we WANT on Frihost.

Neat idea, but it would be to much work.
My 2 Cents.
scotty
LostOverThere wrote:
I doubt we need that, lets get the things we need implanted onto Frihost before we get the things we WANT on Frihost.

Neat idea, but it would be to much work.
My 2 Cents.

I take it you don't read posts. I've already made it. Yes it breaks every time someone uses an apostrophe or inverted commas (don't do it its not cool), but it wasn't that much work and I enjoyed doing it.

http://map.scott.frih.net - Knock yourself out, but don't use inverted commas or apostrophes please.
Bockman
OK. My (final) view on this suggestion:

1- This is NOT an essencial for Frihost. There are other pending priorities on our (Bondings's) to-do list.

2- The software is buggy (at least that instalation is) and may be crashed very easilly.

3- It's bandwith consuming (for the user at least) and not everyone likes that.

4- Users will abuse that system (if guest's input is available) and there is no way we can be sure the information is true (wich renders this extra completely void). If guest's are not allowed to post location, this would require pbpBB integration, wich is unwanted extra work for someone Rolling Eyes

Also, i'd like to remember all of you that this is a suggestion, not general chat, so please keep it on topic (wich is: "Should we implement a Google Map for users to add locations or not")

Be Well Cool
Nyizsa
I like it. Of course it doesn't really make any sense, but it's funny. It has a lot to improve, indeed...
matrixuk321
cool
scotty
Bockman wrote:
1- This is NOT an essencial for Frihost. There are other pending priorities on our (Bondings's) to-do list.

I agree, not essential. Fun yes but I'd have to say downtime should be dealt with before a user map.

Bockman wrote:
2- The software is buggy (at least that instalation is) and may be crashed very easilly.

It's not that buggy, the ' and " is the only bug I can find. Somebody who knows PHP or has more time than me could fix it easily.

Bockman wrote:
3- It's bandwith consuming (for the user at least) and not everyone likes that.

123 hits, 605.7 kB. Not bandwidth consuming at all on the Frihost end. For the user I measured it at 44 kB which isn't much really. The forum index is 123 kB. I don't agree with it being bandwidth consuming, there are many more websites that use more but we aren't on dial up so this shouldn't be a concern.

Bockman wrote:
4- Users will abuse that system (if guest's input is available) and there is no way we can be sure the information is true (wich renders this extra completely void). If guest's are not allowed to post location, this would require pbpBB integration, wich is unwanted extra work for someone Rolling Eyes

You moderate the forums, you can moderate this. Seriously to delete something it involves like 3 clicks, not a problem. As to it being truthful information, does Bondings really live in a computer? (See his location on the forums.) It would be extra work to integrate it into the forums and prevent guests from posting.

So I would have to agree a user map is only ever going to be a link in my sig, I can't see it going anywhere or being implemented. Doesn't stop me maintaining my one. Razz I think this thread has been dealt with now.
Bockman
scotty wrote:
Doesn't stop me maintaining my one. Razz I think this thread has been dealt with now.

It sure doesn't stop you (and you can see I was the first to enter my location, not counting those test ones). I just don't see a motive for us to go through the extra trouble of installing it (and aftwerwards moderate it) on these forums.
If you want to maintain that map, your wellcome to.

I think it's been thoroughly discussed too, so i'll just -close- it. If you (or anyone else) think you may have something to add to this, please pm a moderator/admin to reopen this.

Be Well Cool