FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Idea for an Experimental Game

Starflier
I've been thinking, (And that's never a good thing) but what if one were to use the normal file structure of thier operating system as a game engine? ie. use Directories, subdirectories and files to build the game enviroment. If the files chosen were usable on any OS, (text files, jpgs, java apps, gifs, etc.) then it would be completely universal. I'm trying to figure out right now what that could look like. Any sugestions?
TonkPilz
Well using windows is already a gamble.

there are a few games that uses commands, Directories and subdirectoriesfound or are similar to a standard windows 2000/xp installation
cant say i liked any of those games. most of em are about hacking other company's and other vital networks.

the goel of the game is usually to get a few specific parts of info before you can get to the next mission
PseudoKnight
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you right because that's basically been done before. Directory/files game content: done; Universal java games: done.
Starflier
PseudoKnight wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you right because that's basically been done before. Directory/files game content: done; Universal java games: done.

No, you aren't understanding me right...

My idea was to actually use directories and subdirectories to create the game environment.
PseudoKnight
Like Monster Rancher?
Starflier
Wha? You're talking strange, man...

No, like let's say the setting is a city. You have one folder that's the city, each of the subfolders is a street, each of the subfolders in the streets is a property on that street... Get the picture?
osbits
I think you are talking about Virtual Reallity.
I always wondering of creating a virtual reality world on the computer. But creat it as an OS or creat it on an OS is just the same as the key technic is still on research.But believe that there will be a day we can "live" on the computer world as we do in the real word.
Suggest you to read one of the best SF of 2005 True Name.You may get some idea.
Starflier
Or watch "Tron" or "The Matrix"